Page 1 of 2
what is the best exercise to train stomach muscles with only 2 5kg weights, a bench and a tree with a branch that can be used for pullups? I'm aiming to build up a sixpack.

I'm chubby right now... Nah, not chubby, just not lean enough for my miniscule sixpack to show...
Well...start running a lot to burn off some of the fat that would be covering it. Then do situps a lot and stuff.

Everytime one of these sites comes up I give out this site because I find it amazingly helpful....

www.exrx.net

EDIT: click "exercise instruction" then click "exercise and muscle directory"
yeah, I'm waiting for the snow to thaw before doing cardio training.
I heard situps were bad for your back, though?
people only say sit ups are bad for your back so the fat chicks in gym class dont have to do them
disasterpiece
Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah, I'm waiting for the snow to thaw before doing cardio training.
I heard situps were bad for your back, though?

yeah i've heard that too....not sure of the validity of that but you could jsut do crunches then.

there's some other workouts for your abs though too. Just look at that site i posted.
You need to first get rid of any fat thats ontop of your abs. You could have the worlds best 6-pack, but if theres an inch layer of fat over the top you woun't be able to see it. Cardio, then situps. And more cardio. And lots more situps.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by CoreysMonster
most of them are for machines, do you know any others?

EDIT: what's better cardio, swimming or jogging?

I have some core workout sheets that i got back during football season. I don't think any of them need machines. If I find it I'll scan some for you and post them.

And I'm not entirely sure which is better cardio...I'm a runner because I'm not a great form swimmer....but swimming builds more muscle. Im not sure if it's as good as running though....just look it up somewhere.
Swimming is more energy consuming and therefore better to loose weight, but as a general rule I don't believe you should stick to one thing. Vary your excersies. Maybe run to the swimming pool, go for a swim and run back?

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm chubby right now... Nah, not chubby, just not lean enough for my miniscule sixpack to show...

Excuse me?
Quote by chubbychunks
Excuse me?

It means I'm not like chubby that I can't walk around bare chested, but not thin enough for any ab muscle to really show prominantly.
Quote by sixteen times
You need to first get rid of any fat thats ontop of your abs. You could have the worlds best 6-pack, but if theres an inch layer of fat over the top you woun't be able to see it. Cardio, then situps. And more cardio. And lots more situps.

so true, mine is so strong from doin situps i can get a 10stone person to stand on my stomach and lift them up and down about 5 inches...
But a tiny bit of fat and its ruined
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Swimming is better. It builds more muscle and consumes more energy. The only reason why you feel less exhausted when you swim is because you float in the water and the effect of gravity doesn't affect as much and on the ground.
^You're going to have to do a hell of a lot more than that. 100 each at least. . .

Quote by Ranxston
Swimming is better. It builds more muscle and consumes more energy. The only reason why you feel less exhausted when you swim is because you float in the water and the effect of gravity doesn't affect as much and on the ground.

For actually improving your heart rate and lung capacity I think running is better though. . .
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by CoreysMonster

well, i started jogging when school year started, and now stopped during winter (too cold), but i definently saw a change. i still have like an inch of fat on top, but it was getting smaller.
im also on a swim team, and intense workout, twice a week has built me so much shoulder, back, and triceps muscle.
cant wait for warm weather to come back to start actually being thin.

helps if you do both, cause one can focus on building muscle (swimming) while still making you lose fat, and jogging which will definently make you lose weight faster.

yay.
Quote by Krieg Commando
Can you guys give liek a daily regime, for example like 10 pushups a day 10 sit ups etc.

If want to get any worthwhile results, maybe think about multiplying that by at least 5.

Think along the lines of one hundred of each a day, broken up of course.

Sets of 20's or 25's is what I stick to, but whatever you feel comfortable with.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by sixteen times
If want to get any worthwhile results, maybe think about multiplying that by at least 5.

Think along the lines of one hundred of each a day, broken up of course.

Sets of 20's or 25's is what I stick to, but whatever you feel comfortable with.

I have no fat on my stomach but yh ill give it a go
Quote by Meths
^You're going to have to do a hell of a lot more than that. 100 each at least. . .

For actually improving your heart rate and lung capacity I think running is better though. . .

100 pushups is overkill; I doubt very many people can do that many. If someone is starting out, I doubt they would even get to 20, and maybe 50 situps.

I too would like to know how to develop a six pack. I work out a lot, and my upper body is strong, but nothing seems to work for the abs - they just get tired, but never stronger.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by AzureNight
100 pushups is overkill; I doubt very many people can do that many. If someone is starting out, I doubt they would even get to 20, and maybe 50 situps.

I too would like to know how to develop a six pack. I work out a lot, and my upper body is strong, but nothing seems to work for the abs - they just get tired, but never stronger.

I believe it can be a genetic thing ...some people can jsut natrally get a six pack and more defined looking muscles everywhere else easier than others. So maybe it's jsut a lot more difficult for you...

EDIT: wait...not getting stronger, or not getting more defined?
Quote by AzureNight

I do two sets of 50 push-ups a day and then 5 sets of 20 situps. I wouldnt exactly call myself super fit, so I just thought maybe other people would find that reasonable. If not, they could just break it down into groups of 10.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by sixteen times
I do two sets of 50 push-ups a day and then 5 sets of 20 situps. I wouldnt exactly call myself super fit, so I just thought maybe other people would find that reasonable. If not, they could just break it down into groups of 10.

Nevermind, I thought he meant in one set.

Quote by the_experience
I believe it can be a genetic thing ...some people can jsut natrally get a six pack and more defined looking muscles everywhere else easier than others. So maybe it's jsut a lot more difficult for you...

EDIT: wait...not getting stronger, or not getting more defined?

Both, kind of. I can lift ~120-150 on the ab machine, and that's all I've been able to do for like the past couple of months (though when I started, I could lift far less). I have a bit of a beer gut though, so I should probably cardio that off.
Quote by AzureNight

I do one set of 50 push ups and one set of 75 sit-ups per day. I sometimes do it twice if I get bored and have nothing better to do. 100 is not overkill.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by AzureNight
I too would like to know how to develop a six pack.

Quote by AzureNight
I have a bit of a beer gut though, so I should probably cardio that off.

Answered your own question there mate.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Meths
I do one set of 50 push ups and one set of 75 sit-ups per day. I sometimes do it twice if I get bored and have nothing better to do. 100 is not overkill.

I'd have to question your sit-up technique is your doing a set of 75? No offence but when I hear people say they can do high amounts of sit-ups in a set, and then I see them do it you realise that they aren't doing it correctly.

However, you may well be and have very fit abs so if that's the case then apologies.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by sixteen times
I'd have to question your sit-up technique is your doing a set of 75? No offence but when I hear people say they can do high amounts of sit-ups in a set, and then I see them do it you realise that they aren't doing it correctly.

However, you may well be and have very fit abs so if that's the case then apologies.

meh.... i do regular sets of 50. I could go up to 75 if I wanted to....although I would be dead after.
Quote by the_experience
meh.... i do regular sets of 50. I could go up to 75 if I wanted to....although I would be dead after.

Oh right okay. I usually take them as slow as possible, with my arms corssed over my chest, go all the way forward as close to my knees as possible and then back to about 40 degrees so my back does not touch the floor and then back towards my knees again. When I do this nice and slow I get lactic acid building up after as little as 15 reps.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Since this seems to be a fitness thread in general anyways, I'll ask this:

Anyone know how to deal with wrist pain whenever doing free weights and such? Say when I do a benchpress, I know I could do many more reps but my wrists really start hurting after a bit. Are there any exercises that would help prevent that? It could have something to do with my joints crackling all the time too...maybe I drink too much coke.
Quote by sixteen times

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. It's how I've always done them anyway and no-one who's seen me do them has told me that I'm doing it wrong.

And after 75 I do feel pretty fucked afterwards.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by sixteen times
Pics?

EDIT: Just kidding.

me?
If you find sit ups fun...

Lol
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by AzureNight
Since this seems to be a fitness thread in general anyways, I'll ask this:

Anyone know how to deal with wrist pain whenever doing free weights and such? Say when I do a benchpress, I know I could do many more reps but my wrists really start hurting after a bit. Are there any exercises that would help prevent that? It could have something to do with my joints crackling all the time too...maybe I drink too much coke.

Wear gloves/wrist straps?

Maybe try a few wrist or forearm exercises?

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by sixteen times
Wear gloves/wrist straps?

Maybe try a few wrist or forearm exercises?

I wear gloves, but the pain is right on my wrist joint, not on my hand. What kind of wrist exercises are good? My forearms are pretty built though, so they aren't the problem.
Page 1 of 2