Hi, i just got my first tube amp, a peavey mace, but i need to buy new tubes. can anyone recommend a good set of 6L6GC tubes that wont break the bank?
I'd look at Electro Harmonix, Svetlana, Ruby, or Winged C SEDs. The Winged Cs will be the most expensive of those, but they're outstanding tubes for non-NOS. I have a set of Rubys in my Boogie and they're really versatile. Nice cleans and good distortion. Svetlanas get good reviews and are inexpensive, as do Electro Harmonix. Check out www.tubestore.com to read some reviews. Also, once you're thinking of replacing your preamp tubes, I highly recommend Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissues.
Hi, I'm Peter
Go to either www.eurotubes.com or www.dougstubes.com and ask them. Bob at Eurotubes is a big fan of JJ's while Doug is more open minded, but both are tube gurus and great sources of info.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
Bob at Eurotubes is a big fan of JJ's...

Ha! Bob's a big fan of JJ's 'cause that's all he sells!

But I bought a full set of tubes from him for my Concert, including a matched pair of 6L6GC's, and I'm very happy with them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeppers, Bob's a major gear-head so I'm sure he'll have retubed a Mace at one time or another and have some ideas for you. His prices aren't bad either and his customer services is second to none.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
From what I've heard, Bob is a douchebag. And JJs are overrated, at least on UG. The metalheads/hard rock guys act like they're the only tube commercially available. I got a JJ ECC83 as part of a mixed set of preamp tubes and it isn't anything special. They aren't the holy grail by any means and you can find tubes that are just as good or better. Doug is a much better resource for opinions, IMO, since he sells several brands and doesn't try to talk you into making modifications to your gear just so you can use the brand of tubes he sells, like Bob does. And he's great to deal with - talks in plain language without talking down at you. Tube Store offers reviews of most of the tubes they sell, but their attitude about the brands they carry is a bit condescending as well, and they're the most expensive of the 3.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
From what I've heard, Bob is a douchebag. And JJs are overrated, at least on UG. The metalheads/hard rock guys act like they're the only tube commercially available. I got a JJ ECC83 as part of a mixed set of preamp tubes and it isn't anything special. They aren't the holy grail by any means and you can find tubes that are just as good or better. Doug is a much better resource for opinions, IMO, since he sells several brands and doesn't try to talk you into making modifications to your gear just so you can use the brand of tubes he sells, like Bob does. And he's great to deal with - talks in plain language without talking down at you. Tube Store offers reviews of most of the tubes they sell, but their attitude about the brands they carry is a bit condescending as well, and they're the most expensive of the 3.

From what I've heard, you are a douchebag. Form your own opinion, dude and dont trash someone else on what you "heard".
Eurotubes is a great resource for tube questions and information. I didnt "hear" that form someone else...I've dealt with him personally.
Doug is good, too, but Bob is a JJ exclusive dealer.
If you called the Mercedes Benz dealer and asked for a good all weather sedan he's not going to say "try a 530i or an A6 quattro".
Duh.
^ Of course not, but that doesn't mean that particular Mercedes is going to be good for you. If you're looking for an opinion without knowledge, why get an opinion from someone who only sells one brand of tubes? How do you know you're truly getting what's right for you?

And here's my problem with Bob. Bob wants you to install a trim pot in Mesa/Boogie amps so they work well with JJs. Sorry. I'm not doing a mod to my $1,900 amp so I can use Bob's particular favorite tubes. I trust Randall Smith and Mesa/Boogie's engineers about hard-wired bias more than Bob who's trying to hawk one brand of tubes. Funny how Doug was able to hook me up with tubes I'm very happy with without ever suggesting I install a trim pot or make any other modifications to my amplifier.

I've also have read emails that Bob has sent to people when they have problems with their tubes and I can't say his post-sale customer service reputation impresses me. Also, you realize the most powerful form of advertising is word of mouth. I've NEVER heard a complaint about Doug or Matt at Doug's Tubes. The comments about Bob have been mixed at best.

And I'm not a douchebag, I'm a sick fuck. Get it right.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 25, 2007,
not trying to defend Bob or anything, but the Mesa trim pot mod would be usefull for any tubes, not just JJ's. All a seller can do, who knows Mesa's fixed bias, is test tubes to get as close to that fixed bias as possible. A trim pot would allow more flexibility to run hot or cold with any tubes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by demea
From what I've heard, you are a douchebag.

I might agree with that, but he does (usually) know what he is talking about.
Quote by Erock503
not trying to defend Bob or anything, but the Mesa trim pot mod would be usefull for any tubes, not just JJ's. All a seller can do, who knows Mesa's fixed bias, is test tubes to get as close to that fixed bias as possible. A trim pot would allow more flexibility to run hot or cold with any tubes.

I agree with you. My problem is the presentation. If you go to Bob's site, he basically insinuates Boogies are crap that sound terrible unless you install a trim pot. It'd be different if he recommended tubes but also pointed out that you could do that particular mod to make your amp sound better. What can I say, I don't trust salesmen.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Of course not, but that doesn't mean that particular Mercedes is going to be good for you. If you're looking for an opinion without knowledge, why get an opinion from someone who only sells one brand of tubes? How do you know you're truly getting what's right for you?

And here's my problem with Bob. Bob wants you to install a trim pot in Mesa/Boogie amps so they work well with JJs. Sorry. I'm not doing a mod to my $1,900 amp so I can use Bob's particular favorite tubes. I trust Randall Smith and Mesa/Boogie's engineers about hard-wired bias more than Bob who's trying to hawk one brand of tubes. Funny how Doug was able to hook me up with tubes I'm very happy with without ever suggesting I install a trim pot or make any other modifications to my amplifier.

I've also have read emails that Bob has sent to people when they have problems with their tubes and I can't say his post-sale customer service reputation impresses me. Also, you realize the most powerful form of advertising is word of mouth. I've NEVER heard a complaint about Doug or Matt at Doug's Tubes. The comments about Bob have been mixed at best.

And I'm not a douchebag, I'm a sick fuck. Get it right.

LOL, sorry. Sick f*ck, you are.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I agree with you. My problem is the presentation. If you go to Bob's site, he basically insinuates Boogies are crap that sound terrible unless you install a trim pot. It'd be different if he recommended tubes but also pointed out that you could do that particular mod to make your amp sound better. What can I say, I don't trust salesmen.

ah, didn't see that. I hear ya though, I don't trust salesmen either. I've also heard some guys on here complain about his service too, so I dunno. I've had good experiences with him so far, but I'm not dealing with him all the time either. He didn't mention the pot mod to me when I emailed him, but he did know about the early revision of my Mark. The tubes are reversed from the diagram in the current manuals. How did you like the set you got from Doug's BTW? That thing must be singing with new tubes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
It's really nice. The Rh. 1 and Rh. 2 channels are vast improvements over stock. The Lead channel is different, not necessarily better or worse. Interesting texture. But of course, it's a cascading gain structure using 3 different brands of tubes. Tung-Sol 12AX7s are awesome in Mark IVs, BTW.
Hi, I'm Peter
I like the JJ 6L6GC's. They are slightly darker than other 6L6's and are built pretty good. I've used them in some vintage amps with good success.
Let me say I've never had a problem with Bob at Eurotubes. However I can go to his business personally and deal face to face. In person he's a huge gear head that can just about list tubes for any amp without looking, sorta rainman style.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I have never delt with Bob personally, but I would go on Jerry's (FJA) word about the insides of amps long before most others. Ive scanned Bob's site before and noticed he gives advise on tube selection for certain amps without mods(IE putting other tubes than 6l6 in 5150s) and claims they sound tremendous. However, If you check Jerry's website he states that any other tube than a 6l6 without modding first in a 5150, especially ones like KT88s (which Bob raves about), can really **** shit up.
I don't mean any harm and I'm really not trying to slander Bob, but this is something I noticed. Just my 2 cents.
Plus, I have JJs in my pre and power. I think they are over rated. I want to try Tungsols

peace.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude