what is better? a combo amp or an amp head with a cabinet?

i have no experience with heads+cabinets so im just curious...do they make a better sound than combos or something?
Fender MIM Strat (Red)
Takamine G3S0S
Peavy Backstage

The^
Who

They should sound more 'open', and the speakers don't break up as much (not that they do in combos) since the load is evenly distrubuted. I'm not sure, but some say it's also a bit louder.
Quote by sashki
They should sound more 'open', and the speakers don't break up as much (not that they do in combos) since the load is evenly distrubuted. I'm not sure, but some say it's also a bit louder.

The things you are saying are all due to speaker size and amount; it has nothing do with the enclosure.
Quote by mr_hankey
The things you are saying are all due to speaker size and amount; it has nothing do with the enclosure.

Well, yeah. A combo has one or two speakers (4x10 if it's a fender, but that's besides the point), and a half stack has 4x12". That's the biggest difference.

But I'm not saying the enclosure doesn't affect it.
This was done a few days ago and had excellent answers, use the search function please.

Cheers.
Quote by sashki
Well, yeah. A combo has one or two speakers (4x10 if it's a fender, but that's besides the point), and a half stack has 4x12". That's the biggest difference.

But I'm not saying the enclosure doesn't affect it.

Many cabinets have just one or two speakers, and the threadstarter didn't really give any details.
Quote by packsox4
what is better? a combo amp or an amp head with a cabinet?

i have no experience with heads+cabinets so im just curious...do they make a better sound than combos or something?

depends on the amps.

what amps are u looking to try? do you have a budget and a certain music taste?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if you take a stack and a combo configuration of the same amp, the stack will be better if its a tube amp, because it will minimize tube rattle and provides for better heat dissipation, heads are usually a lot easier to modify/repair because you have more room to work without completely taking the amp apart. not to mention that a 4x12 usually sounds better than a 1x12 or 2x12 thats usually found in combos.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Once more for the people in the back.

You will get similar tones out of both combos and cabinets. Moving a big combo can be more difficult than a head with 1x12 or 2x12, not as hard as a 4x12. Small combos are easy to move but have smaller speakers.

FROM A PURELY MECHANICAL STANDPOINT...

A head and cab is better for the tubes than a combo. Why? In the combo the tubes are mounted close to the driver, which puts vibrational stress on them, causing them to rattle and become microphonic earlier than a head does. Some combos have separation between the drivers (some Randalls come to mind). In the end a head is easier on the tubes. This isn't to suggest combos are bad. There are plenty of killer sounding combos that are now 50 years old.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.