ok i know economy picking seems very...well.....economical as far as the distance your picking hand has to move but why do some great guitar players only employ this technique at certain times and other times it would seem logical for them to use it and they use alternate picking instead.

for example: when zakk wylde plays his repeating penetonic licks he uses alternate picking when economy picking seems much MUCH easier ( i mean your pick hand is litterly moving about half as much)

another example is Michale angelo batio: he is one of the fastest and cleanist shreders out there and he teaches you to youse alternate picking on 3notes per string runs which breacks the economy law.

i prefer just using alternate picking on ev erything since i can already go as fast as i need to for solos and such. theres no since in changing my picking style and going back to square one.
economy picking is just alternate picking but doing it between strings too i.e. down to go down strings up to go up strings, a bit like sweeping.

eg. E-->A you would pick down and A-->E you'd pick upwards.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Sometimes other picking techniques are more appropriate for the timing/feel of the lick.
We're only strays.
Quote by mesametal
so how do you know what to use and when to use it?
Most of the time, the necessary picking technique will be obvious, but if not, you just do what feels comfortable. There's no *real right way to pick a lick.

*There are two exceptions. The first is sweep picking. SOme things obviously use sweep picking and you should use that technique when you try to play them. The second is heavy downpicked metal riffs.
My timing for fast complex passages is much more smoother and tighter when i'm using alternate picking than economy picking, why that is I dont know but it helps me when i'm playing straight 16th notes as i'm able to keep time by accenting every other down stroke from the first. I dont know if that makes sense but its how I view it.
Quote by fendabenda
My timing for fast complex passages is much more smoother and tighter when i'm using alternate picking than economy picking, why that is I dont know but it helps me when i'm playing straight 16th notes as i'm able to keep time by accenting every other down stroke from the first. I dont know if that makes sense but its how I view it.
This is what I do as well, but it is certainly not the way I demand everyone else do it.

Not to imply that you are demanding that.
There is no real right way to pick strings, it's whatever is most comfortable.

For example, Master of Puppets by metallica ...the main riff during the verses, James downpicks the E string very fast insteads of alternate picking. When I play this, I tend do downpick the E as well - it just feels better and sounds more heavy.
- Musician search network, online music community, forums, articles, and more.
Quote by kennya
For example, Master of Puppets by metallica ...the main riff during the verses, James downpicks the E string very fast insteads of alternate picking. When I play this, I tend do downpick the E as well - it just feels better and sounds more heavy.
You really do have to downpick stuff like that, though.
Quote by mesametal
i prefer just using alternate picking on ev erything since i can already go as fast as i need to for solos and such. theres no since in changing my picking style and going back to square one.

Whats what a lot of them think as well.

Also, alt picking has a different sound which some prefer, me for one.
I use both, depending of the lick/riff pattern. But i never use both to play one lick.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I find that alternate picking, in general, gives me far more control over articulation, timing, and dynamics.

There are conceivably locations where economy picking has a better sound; while it is possible, with practice, to alt pick arpeggios as fast as any "shredder", the sound of a sweep has become idiomatic to the genre.
well, fade to black intro, i use economy picking on the really fast part. It works wonders for me. I can play it to speed but, most the time i alternate pick, unless there is a really fast part w 3 notes, then i economy it.
tbh I can imagine Lane doing it

or potentially doing it had he remained alive

or imagine if he was as healthy as a normal person all his life?

either way it's possible; once you get the hang of alt picking arpeggios cleanly you can increase the speed like any other technique

also; you don't necesarilly have to sweep the arps. wide stretchs and strings skips picked or legato (dare I mention holdsworth) allow you to play the same notes fast, potentially faster
economy picking is just another way to pick, its like picking legato or alternate picking, or some things you can alternate pick instead of sweep. Whatever you like doing, do it. If your obsessed with technique learn both techniques but i'm happy with alternate.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!