Hi I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and it has Burstbuckers installed, but I really need I little more sustain; I really like the sound on the P90 pickups so I was thinking of installing P94 pickups. But I would like to keep the nickel hardware.

I don't care for coil tapping or anything like that; I play like Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, and more classic rock stuff.

But I was thinking about something from Dimarzio.

I really want some crazy sustain and lots of bite great sound and really good output.

Willing to spend up to £300.
Also if anyone knows some ware they will install them I can do it just won’t have the time to do it anytime soon, around the Essex area, any suggestions?

Thanks allot.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Sustain is the result of the guitar, amp, and effects.

Pickups have minimal impact.

If you want more sustain, buy a Big Muff.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
if you like gibson sounds, go with wither the 490/498 or the 496/500 combos

i good set of dimarzios or duncans never go wrong, cant give any advice on the dimarzios however.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
check out some P90s Bare Knuckle Pickups make
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

A decent tube amp and loads of volume should do the trick - the Burstbuckers are fairly high output already, certainly hotter than P90's so a pickup change isn't going to solve the issue. I suppose judicious use of a compressor might not go amiss either. The key to good sustain is the relationship between the guitar and the amp.

[Edit] Just had a nosey around the Gibson site and the Gary Moore sig comes with Burstbuckers - that would indicate that they're pretty much the best pickups to have for nailing his legendary sustain and that you need to look at other areas of your rig.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
A decent tube amp and loads of volume should do the trick - the Burstbuckers are fairly high output already, certainly hotter than P90's so a pickup change isn't going to solve the issue. I suppose judicious use of a compressor might not go amiss either. The key to good sustain is the relationship between the guitar and the amp.

Yea I'm thinking of getting a new AMP its deffently the Amp thats the issue, or maybe it needs a good affects added to it, so i've never really used a tube amp so for like £300 what could i get? or should I save a little more? I really do lots of stage work so I need like 120WATT really.

I would really like a Valve Amp any suggestions.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
40 watt Ashdown Fallen Angel, Marshall DSL 401, Laney VC30...you don't need 120 watts of anything! You can happily gig most venues with a 40 watt tube amp and an extension cab if you really feel the need.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Cloudkill
Yea I'm thinking of getting a new AMP its deffently the Amp thats the issue, or maybe it needs a good affects added to it, so i've never really used a tube amp so for like £300 what could i get? or should I save a little more? I really do lots of stage work so I need like 120WATT really.

120? You could get away with 15 watts, honestly. Go to the store and try out a 15 watt tube amp. Its loud enough to play over drums. At the most, you'd maybe need 50. Anything more is usually overkill, because you'd never get to crank it enough to get the right kind of power amp distortion. Trust me. Tube amps work very differently than solid state.
Quote by Cloudkill

It's a shame it's so hard to mic a guitar amp.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
How close to the strings are your pickups?

cause that REALLY robs your sustain
Quote by StaggHound
Sustain is the result of the guitar, amp, and effects.

Pickups have minimal impact.

If you want more sustain, buy a Big Muff.

Not really true, I switched a guitar from cheap-o beginner pickups to Lace Sensors and it sustains 5 times as long now. True the pickups are only one factor but they're still a big one.

If you're happy with your tone I'd just suggest geting a compressor.
Quote by RadioMuse
Not really true, I switched a guitar from cheap-o beginner pickups to Lace Sensors and it sustains 5 times as long now. True the pickups are only one factor but they're still a big one.

If you're happy with your tone I'd just suggest geting a compressor.

Plugged or unplugged?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Try getting a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, cos they give me totally insane sustain, and they suit your Classic Rock tastes