I know this has something to do with octaves, but what does it mean?

And how do I play it.?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Play the note one octave higher than notated.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Yeah, like everyone says it informs you of octaves.

Why it's written like that (saw some odd program on it once) is something to do with organs (instrument not body stuff) and that an 8 foot (distance) pipe would be one note, and then the octave above that would have to be doubled, and then the next would be double that. It's all to do with soundwaves and the like. Don't completely understand why it's 8 to start off with, but yeah.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Ok thanks, but how the hell do I move notes on the first string....17 fret?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
As an interval, it means an octave. On a score, 8va means play one octave up, 15ma means play two octaves up, 8vb means play an octave down, and 15mb means play two octaves down.
Why it's written like that (saw some odd program on it once) is something to do with organs (instrument not body stuff) and that an 8 foot (distance) pipe would be one note, and then the octave above that would have to be doubled, and then the next would be double that

That might be why it's called an octave (octa = eight), but it's abbreviated 8va because the Italian for octave is ottava.
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 26, 2007,
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Ok thanks, but how the hell do I move notes on the first string....17 fret?

you'll never see that
I don't think I've ever encountered a song whose melody was that high.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?