Page 1 of 2
I'm writing a research paper for my English class on censorship. I my self am anti-censorship, which is what my paper mainly focuses on.

My thoughts:
I believe that censorship in any shape, form, or fashion is unconstitutional[sp?].I feel that if parents don't want their children viewing a certian program on TV, it is their responsibility. They have full power to turn off the TV, change the Channel, etc. Let the parents decide, not the government. I believe that censorship limits artistic freedom, It takes the entire vibe from a song or poem when someone tells you what you can or can not say. If the government is going to tell me what I can and can not say in a song i've spent months writing, then is it really worth writing the song at all? If I spend 2 years painting a portrait of an unclothed woman, and i'm told that my painting can't be displayed here here there and over there, then what did I accomplish with that painting? I feel that not only does censorship sevely limit artistic freedom and creativity, it murders it.

My Mother wrote about a similar topic for her English class some time ago.
"A painting is like a puzzle, if you're missing pieces due to censorship, then you lose the entire thing. The painting falls apart."

Quotes of fellow members:
[Skater_Dan0] “When you change any bit of art so that it is censored, the whole meaning of the piece is compromised and does not embody the original ideology of which the piece was intended to”

[Bmac89] “I agree with you whole-heartedly. Censorship is in place to stop questionable material from being viewed by specific audiences (children, for example), but shouldn't it be the parent’s job to stop their children from watching adult-oriented programming? It seems that whenever something obscene is accidentally shown on tv, the whole world grinds to a halt to complain about it because the censorship governing body isn't doing it's job. Everybody blames television for the apparently violent society we live in today but shouldn’t the finger of blame be pointed at the parents for allowing their children to view said programs?”

What do you think?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jan 25, 2007,
here is all your paper needs to say:

"if you support censorship, you're a communist."

if your teacher gives you an F, then he or she hates america.
censorship is anti-american and so is hilary clinton...when you change any bit of art so that it is censored, the whole meaning of the piece is compromised and does not embody the original ideology of which the piece was intended to
i agree whole-heartedly(sp) censorship is in place to stop questionable material from being viewed by specific audiences eg children. But shouldn't it be the parent's job to stop their children from watching adult programming. It seems that whenever something obscene is acidentaly shown on tv the whole world grinds to a halt to bitch about it because the censorship governing body isn't doing it's job. Everybody blames television for the apparently violent society we live in today but ahouldn't the finger of blame be pointed at the parents for allowing their children to view said programes
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I believe that censorship limits artistic freedom, It takes the entire vibe from a song or poem when someone tells you what you can or can not say.

Edit: I feel that if parents don't want their children viewing a certian program on TV, it is their responsibility. They have full power to turn off the TV, change the Channel, etc. Let the parents decide, not the government.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
The concept of censorship is absurd...

Similar to your face, yes, that's right. Your face is absurd.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Well, I think of course there has to be a degree of censorship, but if it compromises the art or whatever it is, then either get rid of it all together or just don't censor it and only show it to select audiences. Overall I think that TONS more responsibility needs to be put on the parents. They always blame other things, but inevitably it's their fault.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I don't think anything in books or music should be censored. If there was a film showing in full detail child rape and murder it's pretty difficult to accept something like that being shown, but it would be censoring someone's expression. I'm not clear of my own views yet.
Quote by Robbie n strat
I don't think anything in books or music should be censored. If there was a film showing in full detail child rape and murder it's pretty difficult to accept something like that being shown, but it would be censoring someone's expression. I'm not clear of my own views yet.

You'd better get clear sonny boy or the rat pack is going to sort you out- Sinatra style
Quote by meh!
You'd better get clear sonny boy or the rat pack is going to sort you out- Sinatra style

I see where robbie is coming from, censorship is a hard topic to decide on.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
I see where robbie is coming from, censorship is a hard topic to decide on.

You wanna fly to the moon or what?
It's an opinion thing. Some people might gasp in horror at the sight of a titty, and some (we) would cheer with glee. I just wouldn't want that type of freedom to be abused though. I mean art has to have dignity as well. You can't just constantly send the public nudity, sex, murder, violence, and hate all the time (well, we do anyway, but less so on the nudity part.) We'd be a bunch of degenerates.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Thanks to everyone who commented/replied. I've got to head home, i'll be back on in about an hour. Keep the debate going guys :]

-chase
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Hmm

I think on TV, it would be bad to show hardcore sex/violent shows or whatever at an early time

There are somethings that should be censored and others that should not
Stuff that is put out deliberately to affect a group or a person should be censored. If it is strictly their beliefs or just happens to be something they want to say/show without deliberately antagonizing the group it may offend then maybe it should be censored for that group.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Censoring is wrong. If you're showing adults something, then you should be able to say whatever the hell you want. But, in my opinion, you should pick and choose what younger people are allowed to be exposed to. Seeing some gangsta ass twelve-year-olds dropping the f-bomb constantly is disheartening. And those kinds of people usually grow up into ignorant leeches on society.

This is assuming whatever is being shown/said is rational. If somebody is saying something and you're sitting there pondering why they're trying to offend/disturb everyone, you have to wonder why anything is being said in the first place. But, meh, I don't feel like turning this post into a rant. Just food for thought.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Censorship=
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Censorship=

I don't think there should be censorship but i do think that the 9PM watershed is a good idea, limit anything too violent or sexual till later in the evening.
Quote by Draken
I don't think there should be censorship but i do think that the 9PM watershed is a good idea, limit anything too violent or sexual till later in the evening.

Fascist
Quote by meh!
Fascist

Hell yeah, screw freedom people should do what i tell them.
Quote by Draken

Commie
Quote by Draken

Eh, I could live with that

I hate thinking for myself...
Quote by GiantRaven
Eh, I could live with that

I hate thinking for myself...

Raven i order you to get high, play guitar and have sex.
^all at once?
Quote by the dave
hahahahahahaha I laughed so hard I shat a little

Quote by Milit
^all at once?

If he wants, my facism wouldn't work, i'd just tell everyone to get high, Except for uncool, ugly and stupid people, they would be used to make food and stuff for the rest of us.
Quote by GiantRaven

Rub in the fact that i'm single why don't you

Bitch

Want to hook up, Raven?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by GiantRaven

Rub in the fact that i'm single why don't you

You couldn't take out a woman with a guitar? Weakling
I do support censorship. I could go on but I will pull off a quote.

Quote by clincher09

Hey, you. You're a ****ing ******

Should the profantity and racism be allowed on this forum that has such a high concentration of people under 15? Can you imagine the out break if that was allowed on public media?
Quote by Draken
If he wants, my facism wouldn't work, i'd just tell everyone to get high, Except for uncool, ugly and stupid people, they would be used to make food and stuff for the rest of us.

Hmm...that doesn't sound so good after all

Quote by GiantRaven
Hmm...that doesn't sound so good after all

Shh quiet boy or i send you to the baby farm.
im totally against censorship of freedom of speech etc.

but u need to think about other types of censorship when youre writing an essay on it..eg, nudity/profanities in nursery books etc., like children need protected from certain things and other examples that im too tired to think of. put those in and say even though in *some* situations censorship can be useful (ie in terms of child literature), it constricts personal freedom etc in everyday life
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote by somewhat_here

i wish i was fat so i can buy xxl clothes during liquidation
Last edited by not enough at Jan 25, 2007,
I despise censorship. Nothing should be censored. If you don't like it, don't listen/watch/associate/be near it.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I don't mean to be an ass, but this got really off topic.

[please] Try to keep the debate and conversation relevant :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312

Try to keep the debate and conversation relevant :]

I believe if people wanted it to be serios it would be posted in the political thread. Post in the The Pit would be like ask 5 years olds what they think about the subject.
Quote by chase312

Try to keep the debate and conversation relevant :]

Oh, so now you're censoring us, eh?
Quote by MuffinMan
Oh, so now you're censoring us, eh?

Hah :]

I wasn't ordering, I was asking. Sorry :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Page 1 of 2