For GCSE music I've got to do two performances for coursework, one is ensemble (I've done that), but the other has to be a solo piece, and im completely stck on what song to do, becaus emost of the songs I've considered are multi-tracked or just can't really be performed without another instrument.
I suppose I'm in to classic rock and music from the 60's (Eric Clapton, Cream, the Eagles etc), so could anyone give some suggestions for a good solo piece to be performed on guitar?

Thanks in advance.
Already been there myself, I did something acoustic (Soco Amaretto Lime - Brand New, if you were interested).

Acoustic songs can always be good, but if you mean electric, then I'm clueless. : )
Quote by Jawkster
a Jimi Hendrix tune should do for you.

Any suggestions? I did Purple Haze with a drummer and no bassist just as a "just in case recording" but was suprised to find that it would get me full marks. I thought about The Wind Cries Mary, but I kinda got bored with it I guess...
full marks on 'master of puppets' last year!

also without a drummer
just me on guitar and curly whirly on bass

a full 8 minute song of drumless metal!
i did an acoustic song, i cant remember what i did though it was 2 years ago. it may have been blackbird
i am gonig to do satch tears in the rain it aint hards but has nasty strecthes
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
I did Eugene's Trick Bag, got nearly full marks for it and it was almost half-speed!

Why not just do something to a backing track?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Convinient, I'm in exactlly the same position mr. thread starter. I was gonna do Yellow Ledbetter with a friend for the ensemble, and Canon Rock for the solo

But I'm not too sure.
I did Midnight by Satch for my solo performance, and my other one I just improvised a solo. Midnight's a good one to do, looks impressive, sounds good, yet surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I'm on the other side of the boat - I've got the group piece to do, but the only bassist, drummer and singer that like rock are metalheads, whereas I'm not. Which leads to some problems. I like punk and garage/indie rock, and a couple of metal bands, but we wont be able to do them for lck of second guitar. Any ideas of something we could do?
^ If you want to do punk songs with two guitars, then either improvise guitar solos to pre-existing songs or play material from the Living End.
Quote by loonyguitarist
I did Midnight by Satch for my solo performance, and my other one I just improvised a solo. Midnight's a good one to do, looks impressive, sounds good, yet surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.

Yeah I did midnight for my AS performance, and now I'm doing a bunch of Metallica songs for my A2. Turns out you don't need to do something that hard, seeing as at A2 level you only need to be able to play at a Grade 6 standard, which is a lot easier than most Metallica songs, definitely easier than Vai or Satch
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Use the "Rockschool" books they are graded and dead easy. They all supply backing tracks and original tracks so u know what it is suppost to sound like. Some of they songs allow you to improvise a solo.
A solo acoustic rendition of Like a Rolling Stone might be nice, possibly a classical guitar song if you are comfortable enough with your ability in that area and want to play something that doesn't require accompaniment.