Alright, here it goes.

I am heavily considering buying an amp in the USA, as I live in Europe, where amps cost 20-50% more. I am specifically looking at the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, an all-tube combo.

Europe and America use different electrical systems, with Europe having about double the voltage. I was wondering how hard it would be to switch the power supply in an American amp to a European power supply, and what problems could arise. I haven't played around with hardware too much, but I know a little.. (mostly setting up cards and such in computers, which are SUPPOSED to be removed and put in.)

So, any tips /or comments from people who have done/tried it? Or can anbody vouch for just using a transformer. (first one to refer to the cartoon shall be decapitated :-P) I've heard that transformers can be unreliable if you always have them on, which I would..

Thanks!
check to see if there is a converter to plug in that will change it to american style power. something that will plug into the european wall outlet and allow you to plug american cords in.

thats the best suggestion i have to offer i dont have much knowledge on the topic
Do a barrel roll!
Thanks mate, but that would be a transformer, which switches the electricity externally. I'm considering that though, but I would prefer changing the amp itself.
ah, i thought it was more of a cosmetic difference. i dont know what to tell you in this case.
Do a barrel roll!
you'll need some kind of a transformer, or else try to buy an amp that has a switch for either USA or EU operation (e.g. splawn).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'd have ot switch hte transformer on teh amp not teh powersupply wont you though?
^ I'm not sure.

the power transformer in the amp, as I understand it, bumps up the voltage to that required by the valves. so in the USA, 110 volts is going in, and that's bumped up to whatever.

if you just get a normal transformer to plug into the mains to step down EU voltage (230v) to USA (110), surely that'd be the same thing as just running it in the USA?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
buy a step down converter, I have one for my amp (its from the us) you have to make sure the step down converter can handle the amount of power required to power the amp, mine needs 500 watts of current to run, so I had to pay £70 for a converter which could handle it, but it works great
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator