I want a Epi les paul standard, but i also want a fender strat (mexican). Make up my mind. I can only have one or the other... This is hard. Oh i play Music of all sorts. Mostly metal with a bit of hard rock thrown in. I know the LP would be better suited for this style of music but the strat is just so sexy....
gather a bit more money and buy a better fender....
Learn to swim....

Αλλη μια πέτρα που κυλά...

[quote="Chris.Rock.Art
"]he's my "friend" he said he wanted me to see. It wasn't an accident...he wants to have sex
well then buy a strat, personally, i don't like fender's, LP's look and sound way cooler, but if you like the way a fender looks then get a fender, but it is true when you say that LP's are better for the kind of music that u like
i would go for an epi over a mexican strat, but maybe u should save up for a US strat instead
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
why buy an esp. that makes no sense when the TS doesnt want one. just anwser the question the TS asked. all this forum is, is a bunch of metalheads. whatever happened to the good ole days of just nothing but great riffs. now everyones like "ohhh look at me i can play faster than you ohhh look at me". who cares.
the lp is a fine choice ive played many of them. they are great guitars. go with it you wont be sorry.
try playing each one, then see how you feel! you can always turn the amp up or down. have you seen brian may's new line?
i'd go with the strat my friend has an epi lp and lets just say...alot of dead frets....i have a strat...and it kicks ass, if you want a metal tone you can always get a seymour duncan dimebucker pickup or an emg, as still have the great look of a strat
metal with a bit of hard rock thrown in? strange combo :P

for those 2 music styles, I would take the Les Paul,

personally, if i would want to buy a guitar to play metal, I'd go Jackson, ESP/Ltd or Dean, but its your choice but Dean is sure worth a look, they are awesome guitars

and if you for a Les Paul, be careful which model you pick, there are alot, and one which is 100$ more exspensive could play the world better, no really

hope this helps dude, rock on
Gear
- ESP Ltd Viper-200
- Peavey Valve King 212

Quote by DC METAL666
You know you're a guitar player when you finger your fretboard more than your girlfriend
I would say go with the Fender, but I am biased so...

You could also have both for about the same amount of money.
An Agile LP copy and an SX Strat copy.

Pick one of these SXs for about $120 after shipping.

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

Replace the pickups and wiring with one of these drop in replacement pickguards from guitar fetish. Less than $40

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html

Agile AL-2000 series for about $220 with shipping.

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss3.html

SX Strat $120
PUPS $40
Agile LP copy $220
Total: $380

Or you can replace the SX Strat with a Squier 51 which is a better guitar with better pickups for $100. This saves you about 60 bucks over the SX.

New Total: $320
Quote by malcs
all this forum is, is a bunch of metalheads. whatever happened to the good ole days of just nothing but great riffs. now everyones like "ohhh look at me i can play faster than you ohhh look at me". who cares.

You think Metal is only about fast playing with no melody?

I'd go with the LP for Metal over a Strat anyday...although Iron Maiden would disagree.
Quote by King ofKumbucha

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
I love my MIM.

Definitely gets my vote.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Quote by JDawg4098
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

You obviously haven't listened much of the genre if you are really that ignorant.
I'd go with the LP, but if you like the Strat, you can replace the pick-ups. It can do metal, though it won't have the chugging power of humbucker pick-ups.
Urm...Personally I really really REALY dislike LP (but that is entirely my opinion)

But I gotta say, outta the two, the LP is the one that will do both of them genres easier than the strat, unless of course you are willing to pay extra and get some new PUPs on the strat, depending on the PUPs, it could be better than the LP, but then again...you could do that with the LP as well.

As everyone else has said, if you where willing, I think there would be a few better options guitar wise...

PRS SE Single cut.....? Just an option maybe worth looking in to. (PRS Se single= £448, Epi LP = £350)
Fender, no doubt.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Les Paul. It is the more "dominant" guitar form the two of them that'll suit metal. But Fender's are more versatile, and have smaller necks which is better for fast metal solo's. Also, you could just out some single coil sized humbuckers in the strat, and it should be good for metal.
The better question would be GIBSON VS FENDER, not Epiphone VS Fender.
If you want an Epi, it would be Epiphone VS Squier.
My newbie stuff:

Ashton Acoustic (forgot model :P)
Squier Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15R

-

Saving up for...

Vox Valvetronix ADVT50
Boss D-2 Pedal
Les Paul Studio (Wine Red)
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
I just dun get it , u hav enough money 4 a fender yet u want an epi,go for fender

i dont know what its like in the states... but over here mexican strats are about 900 bucks...(personally i HATE fender) and you can get some nice epis for over a grand... id say go the epi, the humbuckers will crunch out the sound you want and personally i think they look a hell of alot metal/hard rock than a strat.

Quote by Zhailzur

once again this is my opinion... but in my experience.. epiphones are actually half decent... hell some world class players use epiphones... squiers just suck... really REALLY bad.
Quote by Zhailzur

I disagree.
It should be more along the lines of:

MIM Fender Vs Epiphone.....kinda...

Price wise anyway.

My MIM tele at the local shop was £399, as was my old bandmate's Epiphone standard LP, £399 in price.

Quality wise...Im not sure, but I prefer the feel of my Tele over his LP any day...but thats just preference.
The quality difference between Epiphone and Gibson is nowhere near as big as the difference between Squier and Fender, so as weird as it sounds I think the Epiphone is actually better than a Mexican Fender.
as far as playin hard rock the LP is a good choice. just try it out and see which one you like best. the LPs neck may be a lil thick for you liking but thats just what i think. try em and see what you like.

dont get me wrong i like bands like pantera (which is possibly my favorite band) metallica and alice n chains. but im not into the shred metal. take dragonforce for example. to much concentration on shredding and not enough on the song. im a big fan of a great riff over a really fast passage anyday.
Maybe an Epi Custom LP? They're pretty nice.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I disagree with anyone who is telling you to save up more money before you buy something. My advice to you would be similar to the guy who said you could get both styles for the same price. However, I don't know about the "SX" much, so I can't really say if that would be a good move. I'm all for buying BOTH, for the best deal you can make, until your experience causes you to lean one way or the other. Then, you can save up a whole bunch of money and buy a really nice rig of your choice. USED might be a good way to go. I bought a MIM Tele used for $225 USD that had been barely played yet professionally set up by a highly respected luthier in my area. You might find a similar good deal if you look around.
Well realistically you want humbuckers. And single spaced HBs tend to suck.

All though most strats are routed HSH. All you need is a new pickguard In whatever combination. A ibanez RG would be a better choice IMO. S470s are spectacular and cheap.
Both guitars you suggest have alder centers so unless you go else where you'll have a primarily alder tone (which imo doesn't fit you great mahogany tends to be better for metal)

Of your choices i'd pick the strat and a new pickup set. You'll have better build quality and you seem to like the looks better.

ps look at my user name for a pickup combination. Or dimarzio evos. Or SD full shreds.
Quote by The_Rooster
I know the LP would be better suited for this style of music but the strat is just so sexy....

Trust me, you'll forget how sexy the Strat is if you can't play the style of music you want.

Try them both out. See if you like the Strat's sound. If you don't, don't buy it.
^you'll more likely play the music with the tone you have.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by doommaker
once again this is my opinion... but in my experience.. epiphones are actually half decent... hell some world class players use epiphones... squiers just suck... really REALLY bad.

Agreed. Epiphone's equal if not greater quality compared to Mexican Strats, and Squiers are (in my experience) nothing more than beginner instruments.
You want a super strat. A strat shape with humbuckers.
Look at Jackson, Washburn, Kramer, Schecter... Here are some links to recommendations...
Jackson Js30 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30-Electric-Guitar?sku=511636
Washburn X30 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X30-Electric-Guitar?sku=514239
Kramer Striker http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-Custom-FR424CM-Electric-Guitar?sku=515347
Schecter Gryphon http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483
Schecter C-1 Artist Ltd. Edition http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187

I would say the Fender MIM HSS standard strat, but I couldn't live with 21 frets, and plus I can never keep a vintage trem in tune, even after I set it up.
Also at the your (the threadstarters) price range (I guess its around $400) I would not reccomend a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

Out of all of those I most recommend the C-1 Artist Limited Edition.
Hope I helped.
Last edited by rockr09 at Nov 23, 2007,