When I first got my bass, I thought that this was pretty normal. I never really actually took at other ones, I was more concerned with guitars and stuff.

I figured that the sole purpose is some sort of thumb placement thing, but how come no other bass I've looked at has it?

The Bass itself is a Silvertone Revolver Bass
(Ignore how dusty it is...)
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
I've seen that before on other silvertones, never on any other brand of bass.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
My parents bought it new last year, it was a birthday present so I am assuming around February 2006
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
It's called a thumb rest. It's pretty self explanatory really, but if you want more info just search for it.
Yep, just your average thumb rest. Some vintage fenders have them, too.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Why did they stop putting them on current basses?
-Roy

My Gear
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Most vintage fenders have them, i bought an old bass for a tenner and it came with one, i just find it annoying though
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Masturbasser
On alot of Fenders I have seen it on the bottom.... ???-

That is where you put your fingers. See...way back when people plucked with their thumb.
Bass is my life.
I have an older Norma semi-hollow bass that has a thumb rest on top and a finger rest down below. I find I don't use the bottom one since that technique is somewhat outdated, especially in the music I play/listen to. However I still use the top one quite a bit. I find it quite nice. But that doesn't mean I'm going to install one on all of my basses. Basically, if it's there, that's cool, if not, that's fine too.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
My older Epi Accutune bass has one and yes, its a thumb rest. Its an option that some like, some don't. Personally, after playing a bass without one, I tend not to rest the thumb there now, but on the pickup.

Its a personal choice--some bassists actually install thumb rests on basses that are without.
First of all, **** yeah.

It confused me at first too, and I figured I'd be screwed if I ever bought another bass since I got so used to it. Then I realized that you can buy them for like a buck or something then just install it however you wish. =D
A thumb rest is useful when you have a playing area preference and you want to anchor but you can't when you play on the low string. Also useful when you'd rather play at the bridge and you have no bridge pickup.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by BassPlayer500
I'm the only one that has a Cobalt Blue Revolver bass, everyone else has a Sunburst one.

.....just thought I'd let everyone know

1. You revived a thread that was four months old to say absolutely nothing relevant to any question the threadstarter, or any poster had.

2. You did not add any new information that anyone else could have used or really cared about.

3. You essentially just posted the same thing after what? 6 hours?

4. Cut it the **** out. If you're going to post in a thread, post in a new one. Unless you absolutely have vital information that will turn the UG Bass forum on it's ear then don't even touch a thread thats a month old.