Whats a alternative SM57 mic to the shure SM57 mic? like SM57 mics for half the price?
i know you can get just the same quality SM57 mics for half the price of Shure ones, but just dont know any brands.
any help?
There is no excuse for this post. I know the Shure SM57 recently went up in price and all, but it's only $100. That's a pretty decent price for something that is used so often and every musician needs to own. Don't buy any of those Radio Shit mics with the 1/4 input, they are garbage.

If I were you, I would just save up to get the SM57, you'll thank me later.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^^Agreed. And I thought SM57 was a Shure mic. How could anyone else make a 57?

This cheapie freebie mentallity is really annoying...

Edit: Thought I should clarify...I'm a broke ass musician too...so it's not like I can afford the best of everything...i do this thing called 'saving'...and 'layaway'
Last edited by ParanoiaMusic at Jan 26, 2007,
^ yeah, $100 may be a lot to you (hell i work alot and make a decent wage and $100 is a lot to me) but its worth spending the money to get a decent product. 99% with music equipment, you get what you pay for, spend $20 on a mic and you get a crappy $20 mic.
The Shure SM57 is cheaper than the $40 clones.

Why?

Resale value.

Buy a 57 on Ebay for $65. Sell it in 3 years for $70 (inflation).

The SM57 is a free microphone.
Brandon
meh, sm57 is shit compared to alot of things, sure its versatile, but if youre using it for one purpose, get something better.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
yeah i see where everyones coming from, but my college used bought German makes of SM57 and they were pretty much the same as the shure ones, just half the price.
and Batman i'll be using it for pretty everything. recording guitar, vocals, bongos. the SM57 is a all round purpose mic really so thats the best thing for me.
meh, sm57 is shit compared to alot of things, sure its versatile, but if youre using it for one purpose, get something better.

Really? Would you say that just about every huge record in the past 35 years sounds like shit? The 57 is one of the best mics in the world at a tremendous price. It can get a little fizzy, but that comes down to knowing how to properly engineer.

I own a $2500 Soundelux U99 and a $1200 Royer R121 yet the SM57 gets used all the time.

Some engineers would prefer other mics in other circumstances (that's why they make other mics) but I've never seen a pro studio that didn't own a Shure SM57 or 6.

Brandon