Page 1 of 2
Well, this is my newest forum, and I've screwed up a few, but this one is gonna rock!!!!!!

Just place any shredding secrets here!

Some things that I think are very valuable for any aspiring shredder?
Music theory!
Arpeggios!
Harmonic Minor scales!
Hours of practice!
Humbuckers!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
yeah I need help with my sweeping bad XD
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
Quote by JL_Shredder
Well, this is my newest forum, and I've screwed up a few, but this one is gonna rock!!!!!!

Just place any shredding secrets here!

Some things that I think are very valuable for any aspiring shredder?
Music theory!
Arpeggios!
Harmonic Minor scales!
Hours of practice!
Humbuckers!

if you explain those "secrets" the thread would be 10 times better
sweeping is actually very easy to do once you practice it enough.
----------------------8-12h8---------------------------------------------12--17h12-------------------------
-----------------10------------10------------------------------------13----------------13---------------------
-------------9-----------------------9---------------------------14--------------------------14----------------
--------10------------------------------10-----------------14------------------------------------14-----------
---12----------------------------------------12/12--15-----------------------------------------------15------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first a minor sweep pick down till you get to the 12th fret on the high E string which you pick with an up stroke and go up through the rest of the arpeggio. then slide to the 12th fret of the A string, pick the 15th fret with an up stroke and then the rest with a down stroke. Practice them slowly and then if they sound nice and clean speed up and loop the two arpeggios.
The best way to become a better shredder is start slow, speed up, and get loads of practice.
Quote by sjceran
For the first a minor sweep pick down till you get to the 12th fret on the high E string which you pick with an up stroke and go up through the rest of the arpeggio. then slide to the 12th fret of the A string, pick the 15th fret with an up stroke and then the rest with a down stroke. Practice them slowly and then if they sound nice and clean speed up and loop the two arpeggios.

It's not that simple. I find the worst explained aspect of sweep picking is the muting. There are so many conflicting techniques out there, a few of which lead to frankly bad technique. IMO muting is the hardest part of sweeping, and proof of this is that 90% of youtube shredders can't sweep cleanly at all.

However, i can't be arsed to explain it myself again

EDIT: I did a few posts in a thread a while ago about how i roll my fretting index finger to mute with many of my sweeps now. IMO using the palm to mute just muddies the whole sweep up, i will only ever use my palm to very very lightly mute the 3 lower strings. Learning to roll your index finger is a great skill for sweeping.

Another good thing to practice is sweeping extremely slowly without muting with your palm and very slightly raise your fretting fingers when you need to mute the note, as this should kill it off while maximising finger efficiency. This is a bit harder at harmonic nodes i find though.

And to the guy who said about Friedman and Hammet not sweeping ; listen to Tornado Of Souls and Creeping Death, among others.
Last edited by codybcool at Jan 26, 2007,
Furious masturbation.

Not really. Just practice. Practice Practice Practice
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
Quote by Snowblindvictim
Furious masturbation.

Not really. Just practice. Practice Practice Practice

no really Furious masturbation is the best thing u can do
Tip #1 Befriend your metronome, make it your best friend that you spend all your time with.

Tip #2 Relaxed practice, the minute you start tensing up stop and do something else. If its speed and cleanness your after tensing up won't help.

Tip #3 Alternate pick chromatics slowly to a the click, boring yes.. But oh does it help. Work it from the lowest to highest point of the neck forwards and backwards.

Tip #4 Practice everything with as little gain as possible, general rule of thumb if you can't swing it on an acoustic sound don't bother with an electric.
Quote by codybcool
It's not that simple. I find the worst explained aspect of sweep picking is the muting. There are so many conflicting techniques out there, a few of which lead to frankly bad technique. IMO muting is the hardest part of sweeping, and proof of this is that 90% of youtube shredders can't sweep cleanly at all.

I would be interested in your explanation of your technique you use personally. I know what you mean, I have tried so many different techniques, so many different parts of my hand to mute the strings. The technique I find most effective (for me personally) is to use the lower part of your palm. As if you were lightly palm muting a chord.

This, however, causes problems to mute the strings when you are sweep tapping. I find that sometimes the strings buzz when I use my right hand to tap a note because my palm is not there to mute the strings.

I would like everyones technique explained, it would help me and countless others.

-AS-
Ibanez RG2570e Prestige
Fender® American Series Strat
Marshall AVT-50
BOSS GT8
Crafter T-035
Squire Strat
Admira Malaga Classical Guitar
Gould GS200CB
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dimebag Crybaby

Proud member of the Scots of UG Society..
Quote by godofshred
practise clean
use a metronome
start slow and speed up
never grip the pick too hard
dont tense up
use your pinky

i can "shred" well with out my pinky, exept for sweeps i have to use my pinky for those
Quote by northernsword
i can "shred" well with out my pinky, exept for sweeps i have to use my pinky for those

you're gonna have to use your pinky sometimes, it's better to practice with it then without.
Don't run before you can walk...

And use a metronome.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by Silky Smooth
Tip #4 Practice everything with as little gain as possible, general rule of thumb if you can't swing it on an acoustic sound don't bother with an electric.

You really need to practice with gain too, otherwise when you first throw on the distortion it'll sound dirty and there will be noise all over the place.
Exactly, my brother learned that the hard way.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by Silky Smooth
Tip #1 Befriend your metronome, make it your best friend that you spend all your time with.

Tip #2 Relaxed practice, the minute you start tensing up stop and do something else. If its speed and cleanness your after tensing up won't help.

Tip #3 Alternate pick chromatics slowly to a the click, boring yes.. But oh does it help. Work it from the lowest to highest point of the neck forwards and backwards.

I just want to make a quick addition to #3, and that's to start the chromatics on both down- and upstrokes.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
sweep appregios arent everything like marty friend when he was playing with megadeth he didnt do sweeped appregios (from wat i know) and kirk hammet didnt do themso dont spend all your time doing them learn stuff like tapping and alternate picking and if you r going to learn sweep appregios i suggest you start with three string appregiios and when you can do warp speeds with them move to 4 strings etc..
push yourself is my tip

if your comfortable at the tempo your cureently doing then you need to step it up

that and practice timing ie triplets sixlets etc etc

theyre gonna be important
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Quote by Jongpil Yun
You really need to practice with gain too, otherwise when you first throw on the distortion it'll sound dirty and there will be noise all over the place.

Yes but never rely on it as a crutch

I see alot of these metal guys playing without an amp or an acoustic guitar and it just sounds like feathers hitting the strings. Don't rely on gain and compression to much it'll make you a lazy player.
Quote by codybcool

Preach!!

BTW my "secret" to contribute is the biggest not-secret ever: practice. A LOT.
We're only strays.
Quote by AtrumArx
Exactly, my brother learned that the hard way.

Thanks Alex! (im his brother) I liked to play clean stuff, then when i added the distortion. BOOM! Not fun at all. I am however getting better. I say start with distortion and suck up the noise, then you'll be good after a bit of practice.

Tip #1 go here
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
How the hell do you guys use your pinky, i use a pick n index + thumb only but kinda slow XD

were talking about the fret hand
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Rule #1: Hammer and Pull-offs
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
-Pick from the wrist.
-For short string skipping you can only move your thumb and index finger (assuming that you're holding the pick this way) without moving the wrist at all.
-When playing fast is good to setup a reference by picking harder every 3,4,5,6... notes, depending of the lick pattern. This way you will have more control of your picking hand.
-If you're holding the pick with your thumb and index finger, make sure that you're using the side of the index finger and not the fingertip to hold the pick.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Tree_Fiddy
Tip #1: Stop shredding and start playing with feeling like real musicians do.

Read carefully, for this is the best tip you'll ever get;

STFU N00B
If you write all your own stuff then you'll be fine
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by codybcool
Read carefully, for this is the best tip you'll ever get;

STFU N00B

PSN ID: ArranP
I think tapping is a lazy man's alternative when it comes to Eddie Van Halen but if you use it once in a while, it's OK!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Well I gotta go, see ya later!
Page 1 of 2