Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking about getting Rosetta Stone for my Birthday. I heard that that and 'Tell Me More' are the two best laungage-learning programs out there. I think Rosetta Stone is better though, it has a lot more publicity. I'm not sure whether I wanna learn German or Russian
What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
considering the fact that you live in illinois, i think english would be a good place to start.
Last edited by chocolatguitar at Jan 25, 2007,
I suggest attaining the real Rosetta Stone and learning ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.

EDIT: but pick German.
Rosetta Stone is a good choice, whichever language you choose.
Quote by chocolatguitar
considering the fact that you live in illinois, i think enlish would be a good place to start.

???

Are you knew to computers? Or do you have one of those laungage packets you can download? I'm speaking English. I'm speaking perfect English

-

Rosetta Stone is very expensive. But I'lll have to go with that if I can't find any cheaper programs.
What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
Quote by Pharoah
???

Are you knew to computers? Or do you have one of those laungage packets you can download? I'm speaking English. I'm speaking perfect English

-

Rosetta Stone is very expensive. But I'lll have to go with that if I can't find any cheaper programs.

lololololol

just kidding man, i just think people from illinois talk funny.
There's programs for learning languages? Can I get them online for free?

*Goes to search IsoHunt*
Quote by Pharoah
???

-

You've got to admit, he really kicked Illinois in the sack.
Quote by Pharoah
???

Maybe because you made the thread title "Laungages".
Quote by Pharoah
???

-

I made more mistakes than I thought Two of em'. Still pwned Illinois by, like, three.

Launguages. Is that right?

Anyway, anyone had any experience with Rosetta Stone?
German is easier...i've only been learning it for around 5 years but can get by in Germany fine, i've been there 5 times and not had any trouble talking to locals the last two times.
Learn German, it's easier and it uses the same alphabet. Russian uses the Cyrillic alphabet and you need to learn that first so it's pretty hard.
Quote by Pharoah
I made more mistakes than I thought Two of em'. Still pwned Illinois by, like, three.

Launguages. Is that right?

Anyway, anyone had any experience with Rosetta Stone?

maybe in illinois it's pronounced launguage, but it's spelled "language."

and i've heard of rosetta stone, my spanish teacher showed it to us.
Quote by chocolatguitar
considering the fact that you live in illinois, i think english would be a good place to start.

Hahahahahaha.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
German is easier to learn, even though I failed when I tried.
The way I see it is your just learning different ways to say and, it, the, be, etc. Then progressing into how to put sentence's together and how the words are formed.

You made another mistake that confused me, you duplicated "that"
It should go more like this:
Quote by Pharoah
I'm thinking about getting Rosetta Stone for my Birthday. I heard both that and 'Tell Me More' are the two best language-learning programs out there. I think Rosetta Stone is better though because it has a lot more publicity. I'm not sure whether I want to learn German or Russian

That would've been easier for me to read, but we all read in different ways.
Last edited by raisinbran at Jan 25, 2007,
wtf? why would you want some stupid software to teach a language that you will never use more than once, FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?

you might as well ask for a 200 dollar pet rock.

or you can get a pirated pet rock for free.

pirated rocks?
Yes German is easier, plus you will likely be able to apply it in your life more often.

EDIT:^Perhaps he has plans of visiting or maybe even living in a country where those languages are spoken. Just because it's not what you would want for your birthday doesn't mean you have to criticize him.
Quote by §tratôcaster

As much as I disagree with you, I lol'ed.

Quote by §tratôcaster
wtf? why would you want some stupid software to teach a language that you will never use more than once, FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?

pirated rocks?

Because I intend on eventually living in a place where they speak German? And why would I want a pet rock? Where are the similarities between a rock and a Language-Learning program for the computer? Don't talk anymore kid
Quote by §tratôcaster

pirated rocks?

i made a pet rock one time, i painted a dog on the rock.

a pirate rock sounds fun too.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I CAN'T be the only one who saw the irony in this, can I?

um, my uh...ahem...g key sticks sometime.

uh, yah.

fixed.

hey dirge, where do you live in jersey?
Last edited by chocolatguitar at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by §tratôcaster

pirated rocks?

1. It's what he wants to do.
2. If he wants to visit Germany or Zappp's house one day he will know how to speak the same language.
3. It's not stupid.
4. You're stupid.
5. Shut up.
6. Be quiet.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I CAN'T be the only one who saw the irony in this, can I?

I hate to tell you but you're only supposed to capitalize the first letter of a sentence and names.
Quote by raisinbran
I hate to tell you but you're only supposed to capitalize the first letter of a sentence and names.

Added for emphasis. Its very hard to give a tone of the word when typing, so capitalization is the only way to add emphasis.

I probably used the wrong its...leave me alone =(

Quote by chocolatguitar
hey dirge, where do you live in jersey?

North Bergen, about 30 minutes from New York without traffic. Though that never happens.
Quote by x/taluha
german is hard to pronouce.

jurr-men.

i don't see how it could possibly be challenging.
Quote by x/taluha

So is English.

Look at the "Eng" and "sh", in other languages that would be pronounced different.
If you look at words in English you'll probably realize that it's one of the hardest languages in the world (In terms of pronunciations).

Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm pretty sure German is pronounced phonetically. . . exactly as it is spelled. So, it's actually easy to pronounce.

I wish I spoke German...

Not that I know of, maybe most of the time but pronounce Deutsch, the "eu" is different.

It's hard to say which languages are harder to pronounce unless you know every one. Someone who speaks Japanese may find it harder to learn Russian then English. Someone who speaks Russian may find it easier (most definitely will) find it easier to learn English then Japanese.
Last edited by raisinbran at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by Dirge Humani
North Bergen, about 30 minutes from New York without traffic. Though that never happens.

ah, i live about 2 1/2 hours from new york, i live in south jersey.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm pretty sure German is pronounced phonetically. . . exactly as it is spelled. So, it's actually easy to pronounce.

Most of the time.

You dont have to deal with silent letters. YAAAY!
Quote by x/taluha

Because russian is easier....
Anyway, german isn't hard to pronounce at all, it's fun...makes anyone sound aggressive lol
I Agree if you learn another language you start to understand why some cultures struggle with the english language. I don't think the pronounciation is harder than any language, but I feel using some of the words are confusing to other cultures, since we are on of the languages that have words that are pronounced and spelled the same, yet mean different things. Like "I lead my team to Victory." and "I'll beat the shit out of you with a lead pipe." I have met many exchange students who have told me that was the hardest part for them, deciphering the double meaning of some words.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by SinisterLefty
I Agree if you learn another language you start to understand why some cultures struggle with the english language. I don't think the pronounciation is harder than any language, but I feel using some of the words are confusing to other cultures, since we are on of the languages that have words that are pronounced and spelled the same, yet mean different things. Like "I lead my team to Victory." and "I'll beat the shit out of you with a lead pipe." I have met many exchange students who have told me that was the hardest part for them, deciphering the double meaning of some words.

Another thing that throws foreign people, especially german and french, is the different forms of our verbs, because we have lots of odd, irregular verbs which don't follow any pattern for how they change in the past and the future etc. Although, we only have one gender for all words so it is easier in that respect..*i.e le, la, les in french...der, die, das in german*
You should just learn Latin. Then, with a minimal amount of extra work work you could have a fair understanding of English, German, Spanish, French, Portugese, Italian and Romanian.
Quote by Chromeproguitar
i like my women like my tea..hot
aww hat sucked

"The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain." -Bob Marley
I say German or Japanese, mainly because they're the ones I wanna learn, and they come to mind first.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Page 1 of 2