Ok so i have to make an audition cd for a summer jazz program at SUNY Purchase in New York, a school I may be looking to go to for Jazz Studies. I have to play a Standard and a blues....I plan on doing a mike sternish fusiony Nardis for my standard....clean of course im not stupid....Unless any one has a better idea.....My problem is finding a blues to play...............I tend to ignore these when i flip through my real book............any suggestions?? Thanx ahead of time..............
Minor blues - Equinox - John Coltrane. This is blues according to a guy named Paul Meyers who's visiting here in Alaska who's from New York. Real cool jazz guitarist. But anyway, I'm pretty sure Equinox is a blues song even though I haven't heard the recording.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by ak Gitaroo Man
Minor blues - Equinox - John Coltrane. This is blues according to a guy named Paul Meyers who's visiting here in Alaska who's from New York. Real cool jazz guitarist. But anyway, I'm pretty sure Equinox is a blues song even though I haven't heard the recording.

Yeah, Equinox is a minor blues.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Footprints, as least the variation I have, isnt that bluesy. Try Tootsie or Watermelon man. Tootsie is a 12 bar and watermelon man is a 16 bar (I'm about 90% sure on the W M one)
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Blues in G - Joe Pass.

I played Charlie Parker's Donna Lee for my standard.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
Quote by anoceanapart
Blues in G - Joe Pass.

I played Charlie Parker's Donna Lee for my standard.

You mean you would play Donna Lee???? or youve done a similar audition cd and played that tune????
Quote by 6DOIT
You mean you would play Donna Lee???? or youve done a similar audition cd and played that tune????

My audition was in person, not a CD, but that's besides the point. I was just telling you what I played for my standard. It's a tough song, but quite impressive if you can master it. Take a look at it- it's in the Warner Brothers Fake Book. (Purple one)
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
For my test I had to do a standard, a blues, and a bossa... The blues I chose was Blue Monk, nice and easy. Others: Mr. PC, All Blues, ...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^Yeah, Mr. PC is a great song . Straight, No Chaser, Blue Train, Now's the Time, or Freddie Freeloader are all good blues pieces too.
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
^Yeah, Mr. PC is a great song . Straight, No Chaser, Blue Train, Now's the Time, or Freddie Freeloader are all good blues pieces too.

Yeah, but none of those are particularly impressive pieces on the guitar.
Props to whoever mentioned Blues In G by Joe Pass and Herb Ellis.

That and "Night in Tunisia" by Gillespie were what I auditioned with.
My Band------> www.myspace.com/earlybirdspecial
Gear: modded Epi Les Paul>Boss TU-2>Dano Compressor>Boss DS-1>EHX Small Stone>Boss PH-3 Phaser>Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger>Boss DD-3>Boss DD-20 Delay>1989 JCM 800 2205>1973 Chequerboard Marshall 4x12
Quote by anoceanapart
Yeah, but none of those are particularly impressive pieces on the guitar.

A standard is a head and chords, the improvisation over them is what should make them impressive.

What are you talking about?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
for Blues: Mr. PC, No Blues, Freddie Freeloader
for Standards: Autumn Leaves, Summertime, So What
Quote by Resiliance
A standard is a head and chords, the improvisation over them is what should make them impressive.

What are you talking about?

+50

More suggestions:
Stolen Moments
Bag's Groove
Boogie Stop Shuffle
Theres so many, I'll probably edit this later cause there are a few just on the tip of my brian right now...

Hint: Don't play C-Jam Blues
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
+50

More suggestions:
Stolen Moments
Bag's Groove
Boogie Stop Shuffle
Theres so many, I'll probably edit this later cause there are a few just on the tip of my brian right now...

Why not C-Jam Blues?
Its the "I'm a beginner" jazz song, at least for me. I'm not saying its a bad song, but it will give the wrong impression in an audition.
I decided on Mr. PC.....................I recorded it last night...........it came out pretty good i may upload it to the internet soon..............thanks again guys..............
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
+50

More suggestions:
Stolen Moments
Bag's Groove
Boogie Stop Shuffle

Cool man I just learned Boogie Stop Shuffle by using my Jazz Real Book and a orchestra version on youtube, real chill song.

What are other cool jazz songs that would be great to learn for a Berklee audition?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster