My brand new Seagull S6 has a nasty fret buzz on the 5th and 6th strings, mostly on the 7th-9th frets. I just got it a week ago and noticed it when I got home. I took it to the store and he adjusted the truss rod. It seemed better but now it's back.

I'm brand new to playing and this is my first guitar. I had a very good player try it and it still does it, it's not my technique.

Is this normal? What should I do?
Taylor GS8 Rosewood/Spruce
Last edited by bobvanjr at Jan 28, 2007,
It's possible that your guitar isn't up to standard. Have you asked the people at your guitar store or shop to look at it?(other than ajusting the truss) If you had another player who is good play it then the assumption is, its not your playing, (as you said). I get buzz on my S6+Spruce but it's not severe enough to really notice, for me pressing firmly and ajusting my fingers to a different place on the frets eliminates this problem. Did you consider changing strings? There is the possibility of the factory strings being faulted. Hope this helps.

~Zelly
Originally Posted by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.
I'd start with a different set of strings, the Godens that are on it aren't that great, if that doesn't work start looking for a high fret. You may have to take it a shop and have it checked for a high fret (I had one). Put a set of Daddario's on it, if you have the Spruce top go for PB's, if the cedar top 80/20 Bronze.
After I got the fret buzz under control I got a saddle buzz, if this happens install a bone saddle, do it anyway later on makes a world of difference in tonal quality. I don't recommend the Daddario's lightly, I've tried 10 different brands and mine likes these the best, don't ask me why because I don't know, they just work the best.
He didn't look at anything other than the truss rod. I got it from Guitar Center. The guy, and the manager have been EXTREMELY helpful and polite. I also noticed a finish problem that I find unacceptable. He offered to get me a new one ASAP. I told him, "screwit just get me a Taylor 210 and we'll be done with it" He said no problem but he'd have to special order it. Then he asked if I would let him show me a few guitars. He took me to the Breedloves and I haven't looked back yet. He'll give me the as20sr plus for 800 out the door with the delicious case.

The reviews online have been stellar, but the cutaway ad25sr plus has way more reviews and seems to be way more popular. I don't play at all but he played them for me. Very impressive. It blew away the Taylor 110 and I would call it a win for the taylor 714? I think it was. But not by much if at all. Then when you compare prices, it definetely didn't beat it by $1800.

I wanted a Taylor for the name, but I' finding that to be impossible given my price range that has grown to $1000.

What are all you're experiences with Breedlove.

One morre thing. If you prefer the looks of a cutaway (which I'm sure as a newbie I won't functionally use it for awhile) would you buy it over the standard non-cutaway even though it has the electronics?
Guitar Center guitars HAVE NOT had any "set-up" performed on them beyond the intitial one at the factory. And Guitar Center does not employ guitar techs or offer set ups. That's one of the reasons they can offer lower prices.
I'd advise asking around for a guitar tech/luthier in your area w/a good rep and have a set-up (w/string change to your prefered guage & brand) done. I'd also have the intonation set.
A basic set-up at where I have my work done runs $50. Setting intonation is another $25.
Some shop do it cheaper. Your good Guitar Center deal doesn't look quite as good anymore, does it?
Not throwing a barb at you personally, but it's a lesson to be learned in buying guitars from these discount wholesalers. Sometimes the guitar needs a set-up and sometimes it doesn't. But if you buy from a store that offers sales AND service (genereally at higer price), you have opportunity to KNOW that the guitar is in tip top condition at purchase.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
Guitar Center guitars HAVE NOT had any "set-up" performed on them beyond the intitial one at the factory. And Guitar Center does not employ guitar techs or offer set ups. That's one of the reasons they can offer lower prices.
I'd advise asking around for a guitar tech/luthier in your area w/a good rep and have a set-up (w/string change to your prefered guage & brand) done. I'd also have the intonation set.
A basic set-up at where I have my work done runs $50. Setting intonation is another $25.
Some shop do it cheaper. Your good Guitar Center deal doesn't look quite as good anymore, does it?
Not throwing a barb at you personally, but it's a lesson to be learned in buying guitars from these discount wholesalers. Sometimes the guitar needs a set-up and sometimes it doesn't. But if you buy from a store that offers sales AND service (genereally at higer price), you have opportunity to KNOW that the guitar is in tip top condition at purchase.

Ype, you're totally right. In retrospect, that's what I should have done. BUT, being totally new to guitars I had no idea what was involved.

That and none of the local music shops carried the brands I was interested in. That makes it tough.
Dude, Just put it flat on your kitchen table, with a bright light, fret the string, and look really close. Follow the string from nut to bridge, and you will spot the problem.

It aint invisible.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
I have this same guitar and I had some bad Buzzing too. I had bad buzzing when I used Light gauge strings but when I switched to Medium, all problems were fixed. So it could possibly just be your strings.