Building a Custom Guitar - Need Help
Hi everyone! I got some money from my grandparents and they want me to buy something really nice so i thought of building a custom guitar. I spoke to the best luthier around here and he said he can build me whatever i want as long as the Fret markers are not too complicated like tribal and stuff. And as for the shape he says he can do anything. He uses some cheap Taiwan pickups generally because most ppl who go to him just use Duncans or Dimarzios. Well im not sure about the shape i want. But ive got this in my mind

1. Tun-O-Matic

2. 1 Humbucker (will be a Norton or JB once i get the cash later on)

3. 1 Single Coil (Will be a duncanmost probably)

4. 1 Pickup switch

5. 1 Volume Knob

6. 1 Tone Knob

7. 12th fret - I want some sort of Pentagram or a symbol i like

8. As for wood im looking for something like the fenders so maybe Alder or maybe ash wood..

9. 22 Small Frets - i find these very comfortable.

10. Headstock - I like the BC Rich Widow headstock and the Caparison headstock and many more so that will be a hard choice too.

11. Shape of Body - I was looking at something like Edge's Explorer...or a Dime ML....CARVIN....

So please help me choose the headstock and the body shape! and comment on the specs!

Cheers,
Solidstate
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
I like the Dime ML's and the Explorers, their both pretty sweet. A cool body shape would be maybe something like a mosrite?
Last edited by TBC Guitarist at Jan 26, 2007,
Quote by solidstate
He uses some cheap Taiwan pickups generally because most ppl who go to him just use Duncans or Dimarzios.

I don't think i'd go with someone with that kind of attitude, why not just put the pickups people want in the guitars. A custom built guitar shouldn't have to be customized as soon as you get it IMO.

I'm not sure how a explorer would look like with one humbucker and a single, a super strat would be cool.
Last edited by dave293 at Jan 26, 2007,
you should get a razorback v shape those things are cool bbut why they ruin it by putting by a razorblade inlay at the 12 fret dimebag wasnt an emo
What kind of music do you play?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by dylan87654321
you should get a razorback v shape those things are cool bbut why they ruin it by putting by a razorblade inlay at the 12 fret dimebag wasnt an emo

Er, Ever notice that Dimebag had a razorblade chain around his neck? thats why there a razorblade inlay on his neck and also that line of guitars are called RAZORbacks.

However a Razorback would be awesome those guitars are the most coolest thing ive seen, but pretty ****ing expensive, think ill stick to my KKV.
Last edited by WOWdoritos at Jan 26, 2007,
im looking for a comfortable shape :P. As for pickups...he generally puts Duncans and Dimarzios but for the people who cant afford them yet he puts his own custom wound pickups...or some taiwan ones. Well i havent decided on much yet. I dont want a HSS ...id be happy with a HS.
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
Whatever pickup you buy can be installed if hr doesn't have what you want on hand go get it first.I would go with one humbucker and one volume knob though.That's what I'm doin with the 5150 I'm puttin together.Sounds like you might be a dimebag fan so get a dimebucker,$80 -$90 bucks.
Quote by 5150rocker
Whatever pickup you buy can be installed if hr doesn't have what you want on hand go get it first.I would go with one humbucker and one volume knob though.That's what I'm doin with the 5150 I'm puttin together.Sounds like you might be a dimebag fan so get a dimebucker,$80 -$90 bucks.

Don't even contemplate getting a Dimebucker - easily THE worst Seymour Duncan pickup. Look into a Bill Lawrence L-500XL for the real Dime tone.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i dont have money for good pickups yet..........when i do get the money ...putting either a Norton or JB in the bridge and some good vintage coil in the neck...
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal

Thats if i decided on a Kelly shape...im scared its uncomfortable...
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
Quote by solidstate

Thats if i decided on a Kelly shape...im scared its uncomfortable...

It's rather awkward to play sitting down but damn comfortable standing up. The kelly looks better IMO.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
thanks for the heads up...
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal