i have asked this question before on this site, but no one could answer before. so im gonna see if someone else will catch it: ive tried to connected two subwoofers(JVC), each 175 watts i think, to a home theater stereo system, and my guitar and effects into it. it makes alot of noise whenever i raise the volume. would i need a noisegate to make it "quieter"? and is it possible to use these speaker to make an amp or cab?And dont tell me to just go buy a cab or combo or some shit becasue i ahve one, and i just want to experiment so i can save money next time.sorry for my noobness.thanks for trying to help
Well, it's just that home entertainment speakers aren't really equipped to play the frequencies that guitars put out, I believe.
Plus, if you're just plugging them straight in, it probably isn't being amplified, for one thing. The guitar signal is actually pretty weak.
I wouldn't recommend using those speakers in a future cab, ever.
Ok, I'll explain this again.
Normal loudspeakers are handled to play sounds that have been already mastered, without any sudden changes in volume or pitch. Subwoofers are even worse. They are generally designed to play frequencies < 1000 hertz, which equates to around the open-B mark. Anything above this, they generally won't play very loud, or not even at all. Playing distorted sounds or having the speaker distort will **** the speaker in a number of hours.
Guitar speakers are designed to handle a more specific frequency range, which is based off the sounds possible off a guitar (plus a bit to allow for pinch harmonics and crap). They have tougher voice coils that can withstand the sudden changes in volume and pitch that playing guitar produces. Another bonus that guitar speakers have is that when they start to distort, the cone can actually escape the magnetic field, which stops the speaker getting damaged when the signal becomes too loud.

In short, listen to people on this sites advice, before you wreck your subs.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Ok, I'll explain this again.
Normal loudspeakers are handled to play sounds that have been already mastered, without any sudden changes in volume or pitch. Subwoofers are even worse. They are generally designed to play frequencies < 1000 hertz, which equates to around the open-B mark. Anything above this, they generally won't play very loud, or not even at all. Playing distorted sounds or having the speaker distort will **** the speaker in a number of hours.
Guitar speakers are designed to handle a more specific frequency range, which is based off the sounds possible off a guitar (plus a bit to allow for pinch harmonics and crap). They have tougher voice coils that can withstand the sudden changes in volume and pitch that playing guitar produces. Another bonus that guitar speakers have is that when they start to distort, the cone can actually escape the magnetic field, which stops the speaker getting damaged when the signal becomes too loud.

In short, listen to people on this sites advice, before you wreck your subs.

but i havent ruined them, and ive played on them for more than 2 hours, i just have to have low volum e for the cleans. and you didnt answer my question. you just talked about the frequencies. i already know that. just answer the question.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, I kinda did.
I told you they're quiet probably because the signal isn't being amplified at all?
Can you use these in a cab? No, it really would not work.
Sometimes, you get what you pay for in the world of guitar, my friend. Cutting corners doesn't really work.

sorry man i missed your explanation. thanks.
Would it be possible for him to plug into the amp, then use the headphone jack to go to the subwoofers?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I was under the impression that headphone jacks were low wattage at high impedance. I don't think it would work so well...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Will_Minus
Would it be possible for him to plug into the amp, then use the headphone jack to go to the subwoofers?

i tried that too; same problem.