Page 1 of 2
I'm kind of in a confusing situation and I don't know what to do, so I decided to turn to you people.

Alright, me and some friends are going to be starting up a band in the next little while, and we the set up is going to be at least: 2 Guitarists, 1 Bassist, 1 Dummer, and of course, Vocals.

Now, I have a guitar and I am about to start lessons and all of that and the orignal plan was for me to be play guitar and we were going to find someone to sing, but I enjoy singing and have been told by people that I am good at it. So right now I'm trying to decided if I want to be lead singer, guitarist, or both? And I also don't plan on dropping guitar if I decide to sing.. I'll still practice and play, but I won't practice and play it AS much.

I just need a little help from you guys, so I can make up my mind and know if I need to ask another of my friends that plays guitar if he wants to join the band.

Thanks a bunch!

(PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure if it should be in this one or The Pit.)
hmmm, I'd say both. Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you practice guitar and vocals equally, at the SAME time? You don't have to necessarily play solos, let the other guitarist do that and you can be rhythm and play chords and such, with an occasional improv pentatonic solo or something easy of the sort.
What kind of style do you want to play?

But anyway two guitarists add a lot of versatility to a band. I would suggest keep up with the guitar and learn to play rhymth and vocals at the same time.
Ya go for both. It will make you a better singer and guitarist in the end. But stick to rhythm guitar because playing lead and singing takes a long time of practice. You have to be really good to be like that.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
id just sing until u can handle both then do that

but practice guitar, singing and both as much as possible until u've reached that point
It depends on if you can sing or not.
Don't You Talk to Billy Idol That Way.

Gear:
Epiphone Limited Ed. G-400 W/ Maestro Trem
Washburn WI14 Idol Series
Jasmine ES-31 Acoustic-Electric
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112
If you're vocalist you can just as easily play lead - just not when you're singing. Guitar solos seldom have singing simultaneously, so there's no reason why you couldn't play rhythm while singing and lead while not.
I find that playing helps the singing part and singing helps the guitar learning.Dont get stuck with one or the other.If the guitar rythym is too hard to play while singing don't but practice your singing while you play, it will help your pitch and control over your voice. I can't say that I'm that good of a singer but it helps me learn songs and the guitar helps with voice control.
And, for inspiration, there are lots of accomplished guitarists/vocalists. The frontman of the Living End, James Hetfield, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Matthew Bellamy, Chris Cornell, etc.
Alright, thanks guys.

Who ever asked up there if I can sing, I think I already said, but yes.
This is how its done. This is how my band did it, this is how most rock bands did it.

You write a song, an instrumental. After that is done, try playing the same song, and have someone sing along with it. Whatever sound better, man.
"And you've just had some kind of mushroom and your mind is moving low..."

[color="YellowGreen.[/COLOR"]
Quote by FrijolesN'Fish
This is how its done. This is how my band did it, this is how most rock bands did it.

You write a song, an instrumental. After that is done, try playing the same song, and have someone sing along with it. Whatever sound better, man.

Alright, thanks

Doesn't always work though I'm afraid. If you do that, be careful to actually give the singer space to do the melody, otherwise it'll be too busy and the vocals won't fit.
I say to go for broke and do both lead vocals and lead guitar. Which I like to call "the attention *****" of the band hahaha. In all seriousness though, doing both will be beneficial to you and you will thank yourself for doing it later down the road.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by Maggot66
I'm kind of in a confusing situation and I don't know what to do, so I decided to turn to you people.

Is that a racist remark??? Just kidding, I had to do it

Depending on what kind of music you play, is what will tell you. I'm assuming you like slipknot, well that would be hard to sing and play a the same time.

But if you're into other stuff where the singer also plays guitar, then you should do both. It really dpends on how you want to look and sound, and other things like that
Just let the good times roll.
If you're good at singing and you like it, then sing. If you're good at guitar and you like, then play guitar. If you're good at both, play both. It's really not that complex.

Since you have another guitarist in the band, he can take all the hard parts, and you can just play a couple times throughout the song. If you can solo, then take the solo. Look at Elvis, or Johnny Cash, they both had a guitar, but played off and on throughout the set.
Life Plays With A Lot Of Distortion
Both. Matt Bellamy is a guitar god.

Even most of the popular hard metal bands with two guitarists and a seperate singer only use the second guitarist when there are no vocals going. Otherwise you wouldn't hear the vocals, would just be a big mess.
Quote by colohue

Even most of the popular hard metal bands with two guitarists and a seperate singer only use the second guitarist when there are no vocals going. Otherwise you wouldn't hear the vocals, would just be a big mess.

Well.. thats not really true.. The lead is louder then the rythem almost in every case so it isn't just a big mess.

And yeah I do like Slipknot, and I am practicing similar vocals, but I don't think our music will start off as hard as that, it will most likely down the road though. And thats just what I was worried about, how hard it would probably to sing that type of stuff and play guitar.
This is what I say man...If you can sing. SING. Do vocals. Yeah still play guitar in your spare time but if you are a good singer then you are in high demand..

Guitar players are a dime a dozen, man. Plus, you sound like you would be a good frontman for a band. I'd go vocals totally just because vocals make or break a band. There are thousands of bands out their that are probably awesome in the instrument department but they either don't have a singer or their singer sucks, so they never go anywhere.

Yeah, and one more thing...SlipKnot owns man...
-O
(~/
~~~DUCK!!!!
i have a band.....it's just me, a drummer and a bassist.... I do rythm guitar, lead guitar and vocals....... u don't really even need 2 guitarist! just let the bass guitar do all the rythem work for you and just do lead and sing. I do alot of blues/classic rock stuff tho.... so i guess that'd be a bit easier.
Quote by ComplistiK
This is what I say man...If you can sing. SING. Do vocals. Yeah still play guitar in your spare time but if you are a good singer then you are in high demand..

Guitar players are a dime a dozen, man. Plus, you sound like you would be a good frontman for a band. I'd go vocals totally just because vocals make or break a band. There are thousands of bands out their that are probably awesome in the instrument department but they either don't have a singer or their singer sucks, so they never go anywhere.

Yeah, and one more thing...SlipKnot owns man...

That pretty much just made up my mind, I can probably walk down the hallway at school and find 100 people that can play guitar, Thanks a bunch!

(And the Slipknot comment made me happy, lol)
Quote by yawn
And, for inspiration, there are lots of accomplished guitarists/vocalists. The frontman of the Living End, James Hetfield, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Matthew Bellamy, Chris Cornell, etc.

Just adding to this list:

Nirvana: Kurt Cobain, Gutiar and vocals
Foo Fighters: Dave Grouhl, Guitar and vocals
Green Day: Billie Joe Armstrong: Guitar and vocals
KISS: Every instrument and vocals
Queen: Freddy Mercury, Piano and vocals. Not guitar, but, IMO, harder.
Cinderella: _____, Guitar and vocals
Johnny Lang (if you've heard of him): Gutiar and vocals. On that note, i just went to one of his concerts last night. Best guitarist ive ever seen in real life. You shouldve heard the solos....
what my friend did is he played guitar for a little while, and once he became decent at it and could write and play fairly well, he would start learning songs and try singing alogn with them, then he would write his own and do that, i suggest tryin got learnt eh guitar first then sing with it
Do you, you, feel like I do?
I have one more question for you, and I know it belongs somewhere else, but if you don't mind just answering here please.. What are the names for certain styles of singing, and what exactly do they mean? Like Slipknots style or other bands similar to that. Also, does anyone know if that Rockhouse Method singing DVD is any good?? (If it's out yet)

And I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about "screaming" or "growling", because I don't, well, I don't even know if those were the right words for it. If anyone knows anything or any place that I can learn to do it right so I don't hurt my voice, it be nice if you could let me know.

Thanks again
Last edited by Maggot66 at Jan 27, 2007,
There really isn't words for it. You pretty much know them (i.e. "singing", "screaming", "growling", etc.). The way people know how you sound is if you can compare your voice to someone that people can recognize. Like you said you can scream like Corey? Shit man. I think Corey has the best scream of pretty much all time. See SlipKnot isn't THAT good instrumentally as far as technical shit goes. Corey made that band what it is.

Personally, (and I think this goes for most people in the general metal genre these days) I want a vocalist that can sing AND scream. Guys like Corey Taylor, that singer from Tool/Perfect Circle (forgot his name), M.Shadows before City of Evil, and Serj Tankian are the best singers in the ****in' business IMO.

EDIT: And I'm not to sure about places you could go to that would teach you not how to hurt your voice......Just drink a lot of Green Tea with honey??? lol
-O
(~/
~~~DUCK!!!!
Quote by ComplistiK

EDIT: And I'm not to sure about places you could go to that would teach you not how to hurt your voice......Just drink a lot of Green Tea with honey??? lol

Green Tea with honey, lol alright.
I play guitar and sing for the band I'm in. I've been doing it for a few years now and I've found that no matter what, your brain can only handle so much at one time. Like, if I put the guitar down and just sing, I can focus solely on singing and sing much better. If I'm not singing, I can focus just on playing guitar and do that much better. So, in the end, it depends what you need to be stronger. If the other guitarist in your band is a confident player and plays well and has enough rhythm and skill to carry the band by himself, I would say stick just to singing. However, if your other guitarist is not as strong and you can sing well enough, then I'd say pick up the guitar.
Earth to Bella,
Everything you know is wrong.
Well, almost.
¿Quadque?
Quote by Maggot66
That pretty much just made up my mind, I can probably walk down the hallway at school and find 100 people that can play guitar

Haha.. but dude.. how many of them can REALLY play.. not many at all!!!!
Quote by synth002
Haha.. but dude.. how many of them can REALLY play.. not many at all!!!!

Ummm.. most of them can play. I know that ones who can and can't.
hmm your probably not a great singer, and if you havnt started playing guitar then you should get on to learning that before starting a band
LoL!! I bet only one or two of those can really shred and improvise to an almost professional level though!.. not just play a few tracks.
Quote by synth002
LoL!! I bet only one or two of those can really shred and improvise to an almost professional level though!.. not just play a few tracks.

I really don't care what you have to say anymore, so please just leave.

Quote by El Penguino
hmm your probably not a great singer, and if you havnt started playing guitar then you should get on to learning that before starting a band

And how do you know if I'm not a great singer, I can probably singer better then you, and I have started playing guitar and I have been for a while. Why the hell would I asked these questions if I couldnt play guitar or sing????

If you want to give me useful adive, do it, if you want to judge and be a loser, leave.
Haha you ****in prick.. where did that come from?!! you got problems man, I didnt even say anything!

Trust me with the weird attitude your not gonna get far at all with that!! I can tell ya! I know people who act like that in bands .. what a joke they are! why did you post if you bitch at people who answer your post..

EDIT: I made those posts with the meaning that you could become a great player if you really focused on playing.. lol!
Last edited by synth002 at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by synth002
Haha you ****in prick.. where did that come from?!! you got problems man, I didnt even say anything!

Trust me with the weird attitude your not gonna get far at all with that!! I can tell ya! I know people who act like that in bands .. what a joke they are! why did you post if you bitch at people who answer your post..

EDIT: I made those posts with the meaning that you could become a great player if you really focused on playing.. lol!

Oh sorry, I didn't know when you were insulting the ablitity of my friends and school mates you meant that I could get good?

Your Cool.
Anyone have anymore real, GOOD advice? As in good, like not from synth002, as in someone that can spell real words like "alright". It's not spelt "alrite" genius.

::EDIT::

And I can see how calling me a kid (good one!) and telling me to go listen to Slipknot is an insult. (Also a very, very, very, very good one!!)
Last edited by Maggot66 at Jan 28, 2007,
^ Uh, well, you've already decided to play guitar and provide vocals, right? So, my only comment is good luck
Quote by yawn
^ Uh, well, you've already decided to play guitar and provide vocals, right? So, my only comment is good luck

Thanks
Page 1 of 2