so pretty much i'm in a band. we have 3 guitarist, a bassist, drummer, and singer.

I was wondering if you think haveing 3 guitars playing all at once AND a bass could work out? Or will it sound like crap? We have had a few practices and everything went smoothly. If you were in my position, what would you do for guitar setups? like one lead, one rhythm, and the last be what?

also, what are some bands that have 3 guitarist and a bassist?
You aren't Iron Maiden.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
If everything went smoothly, then ther should be no problem.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
On one hand, Lynyrd Skynyrd had 3 guitarists.
on the other...

.....Hawthorne Heights
Nikolas
I know I've seen "Layla" Played with a crapload of guitarists. Also, a fair amount of blues bands will have multiple guitarists.

Oh, and sometimes with three guitarist you'll have one lead, one rythym and one "extra notes" guy. I think that's how it goes anyway...
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
oh god. if we turn out like hawthorne heights I'll kill every memeber of my band, and then set myself on fire.
You don't need to designate lead/rhythym etc, man. Do it like Iron Maiden, switch off and stuff. There's no point in having 3 if only 1 is gonna play lead, or even if 2 are gonna do lead and 1 rhythym it's stupid. If you go for 3, you have to utilize all of them with harmonies and interwoven parts and leads and stuff.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by davebooska
oh god. if we turn out like hawthorne heights I'll kill every memeber of my band, and then set myself on fire.

I'd hope so. What kinda music do you play?
Nikolas
Try to have one of your guys play in a different tuning, so you dont have three guitars all playing in the same register. Other than that, I agree with what was said about harmonizing and doing "triple-lead".
Follow the Maiden.
we play metal type stuff. I'm really into behemoth and Insomnium. but... behemoth is f***ing crazy and my bandmates are somewhat chirstian so i can't really play as hard as i would like.
So as a back up we play stuff that sounds like as i lay dying and war of ages. Sometimes some all that remains or Becoming The Archetype.
Quote by Something Big
play hotel california

yeah how many guitarists are in taht? like 4?
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
if your all really really cool with each other then it might work out but reallyany band that starts of with more than one guitarist is gonna be doomed to fail. you are gonna argue all the time. your gonna dislike the guys songs. your gonna sleep with eachothers girlfriends. and like the guy above said, you aren't iron maiden

1 drummer, 1 bass, 1 lead guitar = a jam

then when you got some songs you can think about getting a rythm guy. but make sure he knows his place, hes only the rhythm guy
moe has three guitarists i think...or they used to have three, actually i think they've got two now. as has been stated though, there's plenty of people or bands who use a ton of guitarsists at once. but it should work fine, and you'd be correct to not bother designating a lead, rhythm, etc part for each guitarist, just treat each song however it works best.

EDIT: oh yeah for writing songs though it might take a bit more "composing" to get the song to form since it's harder to just jam along and get 3 really nice harmonized, complex guitar parts.
Last edited by vantage4 at Jan 25, 2007,
yea true. thanks guys. now that i think of it, almost all the songs i know and love have backing guitars. like muli-track gutiars. so i guess i'll just play that part or something. we'll work it out i'm sure. thanks for all your imput. once we get a song up on myspace maybe i'll let you know if anyone cares to hear how 3 guitars, a bass, drums, and a singer sound.
didnt rolling stones have 3 guitarists at one point?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Thom, Jonny, Ed...

You can be like Radiohead.

But not as good, that's impossible.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
if u guys are good then heck yea dude id like to here some music you guys make
Quote by Muphin
Thom, Jonny, Ed...

You can be like Radiohead.

But not as good, that's impossible.

Yeah. They sorta swap jobs. (Usually with Ed doing the least, damn lazy Ed )
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
not unless you are as good as maiden or G3....
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
Can't believe no ones mentioned G3 yet. They seem to sound good enough

-AS-
Ibanez RG2570e Prestige
Fender® American Series Strat
Marshall AVT-50
BOSS GT8
Crafter T-035
Squire Strat
Admira Malaga Classical Guitar
Gould GS200CB
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dimebag Crybaby

Proud member of the Scots of UG Society..
Quote by Aly_Sim
Can't believe no ones mentioned G3 yet. They seem to sound good enough

-AS-

^^
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
the novelty wears off having harmonization on your lead work all the time. and although Hawthorne Heights arent that great, they have really interesting guitar intermingling. dont go looking for tabs of them to get ideas though, seeing as like all the tabs ive seen of them arent good.
Yup. But you just have to watch out. Its no excuse to be sloppy with technique, I think.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
In terms of stage presence, it could look cluttered. In terms of musical possibilities, there's a lot of stuff you can do if you use all 3 guitarists well. My band have a big enough sound with just the one guitarist.