So I'm a junior (high school) and I would love to minor, if not major, in music in college. Trouble is, I'm not to sure how to go about it ---- how to prepare, what I need to know, prerequisites, that kind of thing.
I played drums since sixth grade, but in the past year that has really taken backseat to my guitar playing, but the only class at my school which works with guitars is jazz band which I was told "already has like four guitarists and drummers" so I doubt I will be able to get in, which really sucks since jazz band is what I've been working towards in my guitar lessons.
Anyway, I will be taking percussion ensemble and music theory 2, which is the highest theory class at my school, and possibly jazz if I can find a way to audition and bump out one of the other players. Everything I've been reading about college music courses gets me discouraged, though, and I feel unprepared and I would like suggestions, hopefully from those of you with experience in this field, as to what I should do in the next year to ready myself for college.
Depends on the prestige of the programs you plan on attending.

You have to be solid at your instrument, or else you're going to look like a fool during your performance class (a mandatory class in which you must perform in front of all other majors). If your a junior and you want to major in guitar, focus on jazz. It's going to take a lot of practice to figure out jazz playing (not just bullshitting your way through it), so get a teacher if you don't have one already.

I'm a guitar major right now, and I'm transferring to the University of Maryland in the Fall to join their jazz guitar program. You're more than likely going to have to have 2 pieces of conflicting styles prepared, maybe a bebop head and a chord melody, and sight reading, theory quizzes etc.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
You should be lucky you even have Music Theory at your school.

You should start by really deciding what you want to play in college. Guitar or PERCUSSION. You'll also need to know some classical pieces. I would start looking at colleges and on their music dept site, they'll have an "audition" requirements page and will tell you what you should be prepared to play. Audition processes vary depending on what schools you apply to. I'm currently at a state university that has a very small amount of students in their department (maybe 30-35 majors) If you minor in music here, you don't even need to audition.

For the music minor here, they just require you to take a music appr. course, 2 theory courses, 2 ensembles, and the rest electivies. If you aren't sure about majoring in music, I would definately do the minor first.

If you don't have an instructor already, hire one. Some schools require that you have a minimum of a certain amount of time of FORMAL study. ALso you are going to need some recommendations. I would also start visiting schools and ask if you can sit in on a music class.

The big advice I'll give to you is, don't work yourself up too much. Others are probably going to suggest you learn all these scales and theory. While basic theory is important upon entry, just remember this: You are going there to learn. If you knew everything, there would be no point in doing the minor. So just progress for now and then when you get there you can really embrace stuff. WHen talking to music dept represenatitives, definately let them know you have a passion for performing and learning music.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Thanks. I've been taking jazz-based lessons on guitar since about the end of May of last year, which puts me at like 8 months right now, and guitar is what I would like to pursue in college. And yeah, I keep having to remind myself that I'm going to college to learn, and that I don't have to know everything yet. But my main concern is how much do I need to know?
Quote by Yagushgi
Thanks. I've been taking jazz-based lessons on guitar since about the end of May of last year, which puts me at like 8 months right now, and guitar is what I would like to pursue in college. And yeah, I keep having to remind myself that I'm going to college to learn, and that I don't have to know everything yet. But my main concern is how much do I need to know?

This depends. What schools are you looking at?
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.