hey ive recently discovred paul gilbert and i was wondering what the settings are to get his kinda sound like amp settings??
cheers
DudeZ
Dark Semi-Hi Gain........

Laney GH100L, use mids.......

And........... well... STRING SKIPPING TO MAKE EVERY NOTE STAND OUT !! YES EVEN IN SONGS LIKE SNAKEBITE AND SCARIFIED !!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
The thing that makes Paul's tone is the presence he uses. It's a very cutting sound that can be harsh if you hear the guitar on it's own. I have no idea about your equipment, but try these settings:

Presence-6
Bass-3
Middle-5.5
Treble-5

The Laney GH series amp is a bright sounding amplifier, and his signature guitar is also very bright sounding (trust me, I have both!), so you may even have to turn the presence and treble up further.

Check out the Racer X forum at www.racerxband.com/board/, there are some true PG diehards over there that can help you out with most stuff.
Last edited by Nolly at Jan 26, 2007,
hah i sound like a newb but here it goes , whats presence?
DudeZ
The presence control is basically a separate knob for the upper mid frequencies. By boosting it, you get more high end in your sound. If you turn it right up, you'll probably find that the pick attack becomes "ice-pick"-like, and the sound will be very harsh on the ears.

In a live setting however, you can use the presence to cut through the mix of other instruments. If you turn it right down, then the sound feels quite distant, and won't be as well defined in the mix.

It's a useful control, but be warned-it does make any mistakes you make more noticeable! Paul is a truly amazing player-his sound doesn't mask over any flaws. His synchronisation is ridiculous!
theres a video up on youtube about paul and "presents"... check it out