I have recently been turned on to fusion, but i dont know where to start. any recommendations?
Shawn Lane
Guthrie Govan
Greg Howe
Allan Holdsworth
They are in my opinion, the "kings" of fusion. I suggest you start with Lane, Govan and Howe though because I find Allan Holdsworth a lot harder to really get into.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by Scorzerci
I suggest you start with Lane, Govan and Howe though because I find Allan Holdsworth a lot harder to really get into.

+1

With all of Holdsworth's "outside" playing (diminished, chromatic, non-chord tones), it sometimes sounds like a video game going insane. But, if you listen to him enough, you start to enjoy the different sound his playing has, and you notice his really melodic lines as well.

John McGlaughlin is a fusion giant as well. Personally, I don't like his playing with Mahavishnu Orchestra at all, I feel that he is much better on acoustic. "Thieves and Poets" is a great album. His newest release, "Industrial Zen" is very good electric album, a far cry from his early Mahavishnu days.

Any guitarist that played with Miles Davis in his fusion days is worth looking into as well.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
John McGlaughlin is a fusion giant as well. Personally, I don't like his playing with Mahavishnu Orchestra at all, I feel that he is much better on acoustic. "Thieves and Poets" is a great album. His newest release, "Industrial Zen" is very good electric album, a far cry from his early Mahavishnu days.

Yeah, I find his playing with Mahavishnu Orchestra to be kinda sloppy with bad tone. I still enjoy it, I just don't think it's that great as far as fusion goes.

And I'll throw in Weather Report.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Al Di Meola-Elegant Gypsy album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And mike Stern can be considered fusion.....more of a jazz guitarist tho............uses distortion and bending tho..............But if not mike then definetly al di Meola....Race with the devil on spanish highway is an awesome tune....
John Scofield is good listening too. Although I'd say Lane, Govan, Howe, Di Meola are your best bets.
I have nothing to put in here.
John McLaughlin
Allan Holdsworth
Return To Forever
CAB
Shawn Lane
Al Dimeola
Steve Morse
Greg Howe
Joel Rivard
Guthrie Govan

and more
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
the only fusion i have is De Meola's Elegant Gypsy, and i really like 'Flight Over Rio'.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Pat methany bores the crap out of me no offense. Check out some stanley jordan (plays jazz mostly, but he has some fusion-ish with more of a funk feel to it songs, street talk for example) http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8g14H4cT2o

This type of jazzy fusion is in the style of the LA jazz and fusion scene, i think. With guys like larry carlton, and lee ritenour.

Check out some greg howe, when he plays with dennis chambers. Bloody ****ing amazing!
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Last edited by Erich yeung at Feb 2, 2007,
I just picked up Elegant Gypsy by Al Di Meola, and it's a great album from what I've heard so far.

What are some good albums by Gambale I could check out?
Quote by flyingVai
What are some good albums by Gambale I could check out?

That seems like an oxymoron to me....
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
That seems like an oxymoron to me....

Now now, don't be hatin', he's got some good stuff.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Now now, don't be hatin', he's got some good stuff.

Fair enough....

But I still don't like him.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
ive jammed with a guy who jammed with jaco pastorius, which makes me important in my own right.

but again..does nobody here like brett garsed??
Brett Garsed is the shizzle.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Good shred-fusion by Greg Howe ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!