Page 1 of 2
well i dont know much about pickups. im looking for a smooth sounding tone similiar to synyster gates' sound in seize the day. suggestions please.
Invaders, specifically.

And Krank? Or Bogner?

But he uses SD Invaders in bridge and the neck. Try DiMarzio Tone Zone, Evo, PAF Pro as well.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Yeah, he uses Invaders...But I'm fairly sure there's alot of post-recording production work done to his tone...Cause I've seen live videos, doesn't really sound the same. There are other pickups with better tone out there, that'll do what you're looking for.
Perhaps a pair of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pros...?
Slash uses those in his Les Paul. He's way cooler than Synyster Gates.
When I saw them live, he sounded a little bit more trebley than on the album (although this could have been from him switching from Bogners to Mesa's). I read somewhere that recorded that song with a different guitar than his Custom.
The Alnico II's should suit you fine for the neck position (I'm assuming you have a HH guitar). You might want to try something a bit heavier in the bridge for a chunkier rhythm.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
When I saw them live, he sounded a little bit more trebley than on the album (although this could have been from him switching from Bogners to Mesa's). I read somewhere that recorded that song with a different guitar than his Custom.
The Alnico II's should suit you fine for the neck position (I'm assuming you have a HH guitar). You might want to try something a bit heavier in the bridge for a chunkier rhythm.

what is an HH guitar?
well i dont know much about pickups. im looking for a smooth sounding tone similiar to synyster gates' sound in seize the day. suggestions please.

I'm not familiar with the tone you're talking about, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that pickups aren't the problem. You either need to look at changing your EQ'ing, your distortion settings, or quite possibly just your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
schecter omen 6

spider 2 112 ( gross, i know )

i'm looking to get an EQ pedal soon too.
It's hard to overcome the natural instinct to protect people from dangerous things...wild animals, oncoming traffic, falls from height, Seymour Duncan Invaders, the Marshall MG series...

good pickup suggestions though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I try.
Quote by hooblatots
schecter omen 6

spider 2 112 ( gross, i know )

i'm looking to get an EQ pedal soon too.

You're probably looking for a sweeter top end. If the stock humbuckers have 4 wires comin' from 'em, I suggest trying out a Series/Parallel switch. I often use that for some nice top end on my leads. Works wonders. SeymourDuncan.com has schematics on how to do that.

Quote by steven seagull
It's hard to overcome the natural instinct to protect people from dangerous things...wild animals, oncoming traffic, falls from height, Seymour Duncan Invaders, the Marshall MG series...

good pickup suggestions though

I try.
I'm thinking of trying a new bridge pickup...Whaddya think, SH-14 or SH-11?
Your fear of ceramic magnets may have gotten to me...so I'm thinking of changing out the SH-5, as much as I love it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I try.

You're probably looking for a sweeter top end. If the stock humbuckers have 4 wires comin' from 'em, I suggest trying out a Series/Parallel switch. I often use that for some nice top end on my leads. Works wonders. SeymourDuncan.com has schematics on how to do that.

...what? o_O

sorry im not very educated in the parts of the guitar and such, can you elaborate please?
Oh, what kind of guitar do you have? That could have a large bearing on tone too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
*goes to check Schecters site*
THE BASTARDS! I went there yesterday, and they said they had new models coming in 12 hours. Now, it's up to 16 hours? WTF?
Looks like they are just generic hums. It also says the body is made of basswood, that could really help us here to get more top end.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nice midrangey-tonewood.
Probly would either wanna upgrade amp or pickups to get a better tone..

threadstarter, go to SeymourDuncan's site, listen to the pickups I recommended.
Pickups are cheaper than a new amp, after all...

my friends getting a new half stack and hes selling his vox ad100vt for less than half price. should i get that or buy a new pair of pickups? oh and also, is it common to only buy one pickup and replace only one and leave an old one there? or do you have to buy two pairs for it to work?

btw thanks for all the help so far to all whos given advice.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can always just get one new pickup. It'll still work.
Umm...The Vox AD100VT is a much better amp than the Spider II. And you're getting it at a great deal.
What kind of music do you play?

oh ok cool. could you explain to me why there are two pairs on a guitar and what the neck/bridge pickups do? and i play metal/hardrock
There's only one pair of pickups (the humbuckers are made up of two single coils, but are just thought about as one pickup).

*The bridge pickup is usually a lot stronger than the neck because nearer to the bridge there are less vibrations (and therefore less volume). This leads to it having a higher resonant peak, which leads to it sounding treblier.
*Bridge pickups often sound a lot treblier too because of the strings vibrations being 'influenced' (can't think of a better word) by the metal that the bridge itself is made out of.

The neck pickup sounds a lot warmer/sweeter because of a combination of things -
*the pickup often has a lower output which lowers the resonant peak of the pickup (the frequencies that are the strongest).
*the pickup is situated around the 24th fret and with this comes the fabled harmonic nodes that are meant to produce a sweeter sound.
*The strings above the pickup will vibrate more freely and have more harmonic overtones, which fatten up the sound.
The Vox will be able to hard rock, and probably classic metal....but without a pedal, probably not modern metal. Roland Cubes seem to be popular around here for that.
But hey, I say, it's a great deal, go for it!

EDIT: and so, switching between the two pickups can give you a great variation in sound. I often switch between them depending on what kind of tones I'm looking for when I play. Warm VS Trebly, Lead VS Rhythm...etc...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 28, 2007,
oh i see, thanks for explaining. another question... i'm also looking to buy a new guitar maybe sometime this year, if i bought some new pickups and installed them on to my schecter, could i them remove them and place them onto my new guitar? or are the pickups permanently on the schecter?
i'd just change your amp, the high gain models in the spider are pretty harsh-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Me name's not Dave, but I say go for it....much nicer tone than the Spider and it'll make far more difference than changing pickups
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

And another vote from me. Does the AD100VT have the wattage control? If it does, get that amp, right now.
I'll just repeat some of my invaluable, late-night, slightly drunk philosophising on pickups - just to put things in perspective

I could put Formula 1 standard Bridgestones on my car, but it wouldn't make it go as fast as an F1 car...it's pretty much the same with guitars. In terms of importance the guitar is the chassis and car body, the amp is the engine...the pickups are the tyres, or possibly even the air filter!

Essential in getting the most out of the main components, but pretty pointless on their own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i haven't tried the vox.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i can only afford one right now, which one should i get first bridge or neck pickup?
is that good or bad?

neither - it doesn't affect your upgrading opportunities. All it means is the stock pickups can't be coil split or rewired in parallel without a bit of fiddling. Very loosely, your pickups are batteries - in that they generate an electric current when the string interacts with the magnetic field. Each coil has a positive and negative end, and in 4 conductor humbuckers there's a wire from each end of each coil - in 2 conductor pickups the 2 coils are already connected, usually in series, so there's just 2 wires.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

okay thanks for all the info guys, i'm going to go buy a neck pickup this weekend. the last problem that i have is installing it.... can i do it myself or should i leave it a guitar shop to do it for me? and if i can do it myself, could any of you guide me through it via instant messenger?
Go to Radioshack and buy a soldering kit. Practise on a broken VCR or radio by desoldering and resoldering random little componants.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Page 1 of 2