OK, I'm definitely getting an Epiphone Les Paul, but before I make my decision, I need to know the differences between a Standard and a Custom. I know the custom looks slightly different, but what else is there that gives Epiphone a reason to make both?
The Epi Standard is an Alder/Mahogany body. While the Custom is all mahogany, the pick-ups, and wiring are different also, though I'm not too sure.
Customs are better than the Standards. Standard's do sound good, but a custom is so much better, easpecially with it being all mahogany.
actually the custom has a mahogany/alder composition

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=47&CollectionID=6

check the specs

however they are still great guitars, ive played quite a few epi standards and the feel of them dont match the custom

the only non asthetic difference is the fact that the custom has a mahogany/alder top whereas the standard has a slab of maple on the top
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I have an Epi LP Custom. Such a nice guitar. Now I havent played the standard enough to really know much of a difference, but the look of the guitar is well worth the extra little cash.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
both are alder/mahogany

They old classics wern't but i'm pretty sure they are now too.

I'd suggest going for a epi SG if you want a gibson shape. The vintage g400s were nice.
I owned a standard for about two years and I loved it, but one day I played my friends custom and hated it. Kind of put me off the customs, but maybe his was just a shitty one
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Theres been a few threads like this before, and its quite obvious that customs are better than standards, better pick ups and better looks
Quote by The Casualty
The Epi Standard is an Alder/Mahogany body. While the Custom is all mahogany, the pick-ups, and wiring are different also, though I'm not too sure.
Wrong. The custom is also Alder/mahogany.

The only thing different is the pickups and looks.
Get the Standard Plain Top, the ONLY solid mahogany Epi LP I wish I had of but I only found out after getting the Standard Ebony.

I'm pretty sure apart from the gold plating on the Custom (which does wear and look crap after a while) and fret inlays there is no difference between the 2, even if the Custom did have better pickups I would still plan on changing them anyway as Epi make terrible pups for the LP's.