I was listening to Alice Cooper on the radio and he was sayin that Steven Stills almost became the bassist for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, that would have been sick lol anyone else heard about this ever?
LJS and The OwlsLucky Jimr Stonge
Well Hendrix features in a song on Stephen Stills' first solo album. They were pretty good friends.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
is he better than chas chandler though?
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
was this pre or post jimi hendrix experience?
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
According to the original poster, it was for the original line up of the Experience. My opinion is that anyone would have been better than Noel Redding, who wasn't even a bass player in the first place.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by TMAW
is he better than chas chandler though?

chas was the bassist for the Animals. He was Hendrix' manager: you're thinking of Noel Redding.

And Noel Redding... Jimi could have certainly found better technical players.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
He didn't want a technical player though, he wanted someone that'd enable him and Mitch to go f*cking crazy over a steady beat.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
He didn't want a technical player though, he wanted someone that'd enable him and Mitch to go f*cking crazy over a steady beat.

It's possible, I merely said he could have found one if he wanted to
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Strat_Monkey

...Doesn't the drummer keep the beat?

It doesn't matter, Noel Redding was a terrible bassist. He could have chose someone at least better.

I mean, you could argue that Jimi was scared of the spotlight being stolen from him, but look at Mitch Mitchell, who was just as good at drums at Jimi at guitar.

Also take Cream into account... every member of that band was amazing, and everyone in it is well known.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

It doesn't matter, Noel Redding was a terrible bassist. He could have chose someone at least better.

I mean, you could argue that Jimi was scared of the spotlight being stolen from him, but look at Mitch Mitchell, who was just as good at drums at Jimi at guitar.

Also take Cream into account... every member of that band was amazing, and everyone in it is well known.

You're right; he should've hired Jack Bruce!
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

Not in the Experience. Listen to 'Manic Depression', which I think is the ultimate studio play-off between Jimi and Mitch. The bass is the only thing keeping the band tethered to, y'know, the world.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I see what you're saying, but Mitch was still keeping the beat of the song. It was just in a more Jazz-influenced style.

Simply because the drumming is extremely complicated and seems to be continuous rolls and fills doesn't mean it's off-beat.

Jazz drummers keep their beat with the cymbals, and no so much the snare and bass, as many Rock drummers do.
Yeah, I read a couple of days ago that Jimi wanted Stephen to be in his band at one point.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I see what you're saying, but Mitch was still keeping the beat of the song. It was just in a more Jazz-influenced style.

Simply because the drumming is extremely complicated and seems to be continuous rolls and fills doesn't mean it's off-beat.

Jazz drummers keep their beat with the cymbals, and no so much the snare and bass, as many Rock drummers do.

Yeah but if you've already got a guitar player soloing/improvising wildly, and a drummer syncopating all over the place, then if a bassist is playing something... well, tuneful, both the band and the audience are fairly likely to just get lost in the noise. It's possible, but it's hard to do.

Note: I do listen to jazz and prog a bit, where the bands do have segments with no-one really keeping the beat in the sense of going 1+2+3+4 etc., so I know it can work, but it wouldn't have worked in the Experience, and in any case wasn't the sound Hendrix wanted.

Quote by Strat_Monkey
It's possible, but it's hard to do.

Exactly. So if the Experience had a better bassist, it wouldn't have been much of a problem.

Cream, again, is a perfect example.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

Take out the word example, and you have the most apt phrase ever.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I have a few recordings of Jimi and Stephen Stills jamming together, from 1968.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Exactly. So if the Experience had a better bassist, it wouldn't have been much of a problem.

Look, clearly we are not going to agree here, so let's stop arguing. I think if Hendrix had wanted a better bassist, he could have found one. He never had a bassist who was especially technically impressive, and so he clearly wanted a simple bassline to solo over.

I think that Hendrix chose Redding mostly because he liked his look
Rush Fan Club member # 10
Seinfeld Fan Club member #7
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Look, clearly we are not going to agree here, so let's stop arguing. I think if Hendrix had wanted a better bassist, he could have found one. He never had a bassist who was especially technically impressive, and so he clearly wanted a simple bassline to solo over.

I'll go ahead and say that we're both right.

You are right in the sense that if he wanted a better bassist, he could have found one, and I'm right in the sense that he did (Billy Cox)... eventually.
was this before or after Crosby, Stills and Nash got together?

if Stills didnt join up with David Crosby and Graham Nash instead choosing to be a bassist with Jimi Hendrix i reckon it would have been a terrible terrible shame
It was probably before, considering Crosby, Stills, and Nash had only released their first album in 1969, which was shortly after The Jimi Hendrix Experience broke up.

Though Jimi's career continued for a couple of more years, and most of us know that Jimi's good friend Billy Cox joined him on bass (along with Buddy Miles on drums after Mitch Mitchell left), I believe the reason that Stills had been asked to join before was because at this point in time Jimi had noticed that African-Americans were not very big on the Rock music scene, and by presenting a super-group of all blacks, he hoped to encourage more of them to listen to that type of music.
^^That's true. Plus, he was under pressure from Black Separatists (there were a fair few about at the time - and who can blame 'em?) to start playing funkier music that black kids would be more likely to like. I guess he kinda compromised by getting a band full of black guys (although he got Mitch back on drums later, I believe) and getting a tiny bit more funky. Just a little.

Oh, and, Heartbreaker? Nice compromise

We should indeed. Long live TheHeartbreaker/Strat_Monkey Experience!

Quote by heartbreaker101
I think that Hendrix chose Redding mostly because he liked his look

No I agree more with the other guys saying he needed a tight rythym section so him a Mitch could show off. Regardless, its in the past and seriously he's prob a more famous bassist than any of us. Why must we question his skills? You don't have to be great to rock.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
alright.. heres the thing.. the original lineup of the experience was put together more or less by the dude from the animals who recorded all of hendrix's early stuff. He got the musicians together and Jimi went in and would play with them and pick which ones he liked. Check out guitar world from a couple months back
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
I read that Noel was a guitarist who went along to try out for the New Animals but the spot had been filled so Chas asked him if he'd like to have a go on bass for a new band involving a black dude from the States. Hendrix and Stills were friends, I'm not sure that there was a suggestion that he should be in the Experience though.
Noel left because of exessive crowds at a concert didnt he?