Hi, ive been playing guitar for a few years now and im in a band. Ive decided that its time for a new guitar, lol. Anyways, my question is that i play rhythm guitar for my band, and im not sure whether or not to get a guitar with a tremolo system, or would it be better for me to buy a guitar with a fixed bridge? Also, would drop d tuning a guitar with a tremolo system cause any problems with the tremolo? thx
=My Rig=

-ESP LTD MH-307 (main)
-ESP LTD EX-260 (spare)
-Randall RG75G3 Amp
-Korg AX3000G
Id definatly get a guitar with the tremolo on it. The only thing is that it reaaaally de tunes your guitar if you use it a lot but i dunno if itll cause any problems if your in drop d. I play in C tuning and im lookin for a guitar that has a tremolo that sounds good in C tuning
It depends on the price range..If you buy a 300$ guitar go for a fixed bridge (cause tremolos at that price suck major ass) but if you go for a 800$-1200$ guitar it wont matter...It depends on you..If you play low-tempo chillout songs (Portishead ie) then a little chorus,reverb and randomly struck chords with trem are great..
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
it depends on what tunings you use, if you mostly use standard (except for drop d) you will be fine, i have a trem and i put it in drop d from standard and its fine, but beware trems are pains in the ass when first using them, i also recommend not getting a trem unless you are gonna use the whammy bar otherwise you just causing yourself a headache (i am talking of a floating trem: floyd rose)
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
Last edited by XzX_Patrick_XzX at Jan 26, 2007,
If you don't use a trem as part of your playing, don't get a guitar with a trem. Even non-Floyd style, traditional trem systems like the ones Fender or PRS uses can be a pain in the ass (although the trem on my PRS is infinitely more stable than the one on my Fender)
Hi, I'm Peter
If you're thinking about getting a floating trem (floyd rose) remember the folowing:
-It's quite tricky to set up and tune
-You won't be able to do drop tunings without having to reset the trem
-You'll need get an official floyd rose and not a licenced one. The licenced one's are cheap but they suck, offical floyd rose bridges are much more expensive but hold tune much better.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Depends what you wanna play. If you are just doing rhythm then don't bother but if you are gonna trade off solos then you might want one if you're gonna do divebombs and stuff like that.
Even if you are going to trade solos, it's not like a whammy bar is really that essential.

The Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass if you change tuning a lot.

I'd just get a fixed bridge if I were you. Unless you *only* use one standard and one dropped tuning.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Quote by general_koffi
Even if you are going to trade solos, it's not like a whammy bar is really that essential.

The Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass if you change tuning a lot.

I'd just get a fixed bridge if I were you. Unless you *only* use one standard and one dropped tuning.

Some people like to use their tremolos while soloing....if he is that guy then he might need one but I do agree they are a pain in the ass and I don't care much for them....unless i'm trying to learn a solo and it has a whammy bar part...that sucks when you don't have one.
Trems can be a pain. I have a floyd rose and i play rhythm and it is murder not to push the tuning out when palm muting and playing over the bridge. If you plan to do wild divebombs etc. get a trem but if not DON'T
lol
cool thanks for the feedback, im not too sure how often i would use the trem, cause i mainly play rhythm, maybe the odd simple solo here and there. I was thinking about getting an ibanez, one of the new models that came out this year, or possibly a jackson, im just trying to figure out what to get
=My Rig=

-ESP LTD MH-307 (main)
-ESP LTD EX-260 (spare)
-Randall RG75G3 Amp
-Korg AX3000G
Quote by DaFuss
cool thanks for the feedback, im not too sure how often i would use the trem, cause i mainly play rhythm, maybe the odd simple solo here and there. I was thinking about getting an ibanez, one of the new models that came out this year, or possibly a jackson, im just trying to figure out what to get

Don't worry bout it then. They are a headache...what you looking for in a guitar anyway ?
hmm, im looking for a decent guitar, not exactly sure, id like a guitar with a body shape thats a little diff (like V's or X's, abstract stuff like that) since i mainly play rhythm im looking for something that will suit that, id like a good pair of pickups (obviously ) im looking at ibanez's or jacksons at the moment

any help is appreciated
=My Rig=

-ESP LTD MH-307 (main)
-ESP LTD EX-260 (spare)
-Randall RG75G3 Amp
-Korg AX3000G
if you're playing just rhythm, then you shouldn't need a trem unless you really wanted one. i'd get a trem though, but with a locking nut, because if you don't, it'll take your guitar out of tune really fast.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
ya, thats what i was making sure of, having a locking nut, but if i dont get a guitar with a trem i wont be dissapointed
=My Rig=

-ESP LTD MH-307 (main)
-ESP LTD EX-260 (spare)
-Randall RG75G3 Amp
-Korg AX3000G
trems only detune your guitar alot if you have the springs to tight in the back(if its that kind) it depends if you use it or not. i use it when i play rhythm sometimes so i can put virbrato on chords or even just dive a chord down to add some flavour.
Short answer, you don't need a vibrato (tremolo) unit. If you detune to drop D, it will throw off the tuning of the other strings, especially on a double-locking system like a Floyd Rose. You also don't really need one as a lead guitarist, unless you're in a Van Halen cover band. That said, if you want one, by all means get one. There aren't really hard and fast rules. I played rhythm in my first band with an Ibanez RG320 (god-awful licenced Floyd Rose). In my second band I was in a Priest/Maiden dual lead/rhythm type situation, and I mostly played a Gibson Les Paul Studio (Tune-O-Matic Bridge). If do decide to get a guitar with a trem, check one of the lists on here and make sure it's quality stuff - for example, if you get a guitar with a cheap licenced Floyd Rose the knife edges might get worn away over time and you'll have strings go flat whenever you use it. The A string on my RG320 needs retuned after an hour's playing, the guitar is in semipermanent retirement. I'll probably pull it apart so that I can have the body and possibly the neck for any Frankenstein guitar type situation that takes my fancy in future.
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 26, 2007,
Look into the Ibanez S series, the tremolo systems fine tuners have an extended range, I can tune to Db standard without unlocking it.

I suggest this for rythm, I've heard the pickups are pretty good.

http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S520EX

Also, if that Randall is a tube amp, you may also want to consider this:

http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S620EXQM

I don't know about the quality of the pickups, but they're probably a bit better for metal than the first link I gave.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jan 26, 2007,
i say no trem. but if you are doing metal, get a guitar, that has a good trem, like an expensive one
get a guitar with a floyd that doesnt have a recess. Then you could have the floyd flat against the body and not have to deal with all those trem issues. Some guitars like that are the Kramer 1984, Jersey Star and Baretta, the Ernie Ball Musicman Axis and the Charvel EVH. Check the Kramers out on www.musicyo.com