Page 1 of 2
For anyone who's interested, post your favorite stories and comments here.

I'm reading The Northern Path and I like it a lot, it's the first real book I've started reading on it. The way he tells the stories is pretty funny, like for example, when Thor is trying to kill the sleeping giant Scrymnir (sp, don't have the book with me) by slamming his hammer on his head. The giant wakes up to see Thor awake next to him and says "Oh, you're awake to, Thor? I just awoke, I think a leaf landed on my head." And when Thor tries a second and third time, the great giant thinks that a walnut has fallen on his head from the tree above them, and that a bird has pooped on his head, lol.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I've read like 20+ stories... beats bible stories
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I used to know how Ragnarök went, but I can't now. The two humans left after it was finished were Lif and Lifthrasir who hid in a forest.
I think ragnarok went like this....Loki was a villain and that he killed Baldur so the gods have locked him away, Loki managed to escape and led an army of giants to battle the gods...at least that's what i believe.
i read beowolf once i found that rather amusing.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

There's a Norse myth involving Loki which explains why 13 is an unlucky number, I'm to lazy to type it out now.

But it's coolz0rz.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by aL13
I think ragnarok went like this....Loki was a villain and that he killed Baldur so the gods have locked him away, Loki managed to escape and led an army of giants to battle the gods...at least that's what i believe.

Didn't Loki also win? Though i'm not too sure about it.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
My favorite stories are about Loki's devious trickery. There was one in particular where he promised his head to a group of dwarves in a bet, but he said that they couldn't injure any other part of him in taking his head. When the time came to collect his head, Loki pointed out that they couldn't injure his neck to take off his head, and he ended up keeping it.

I'm also quite fond of the Ragnarok tale.
I'm German and I hate the way the nazis ruined all German/Norse mythology for me
Norse Mythology is amazing, it's ten times better than the Greek crap everyone's heard about. I love reading about Ragnarok and Odin and how in heaven you can eat and fight as much as you want, without ever worrying about death.

For jammin24, I think Beowulf is an anglo-saxon/celtic thing, not Scandinavian.
Get off my lawn.
hmm i swear beowulf is norse... hmm il look it up.

edit: aha

Beowulf , written in Old English sometime before the tenth century A.D., describes the adventures of a great Scandinavian warrior of the sixth century.
A rich fabric of fact and fancy, Beowulf is the oldest surviving epic in British literature.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

if you like metal. you should listen to AMON AMRTH!!!! its like heavy norse story telling
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
I've bee into it for a few years, but neve REALLY learned about it, I just know it's a lot darker, and a little more intense than Roman and Greek myth.

I got into it through Final Fantasy, because of the summon Odin, then I learned Odin was a Norse god.

I really need to get into it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'm sure I'll surprise everybody by saying this:

I'm a big fan of their "end of the world" scenario (the Terrible Winter, Ragnarok, etc).
I also love Norse Mythology, and I've read a few stories here and there, mostly on Wikipedia, and I've been trying to find some sort of Norse Bible, cause after all, it IS a religion right ? So far, I didn't find any... And I don't have a credit card yet so I can't buy it on the internet.
Gear:
Jackson JS30KV King V
Fender BrandX 15w Reverb amp
Yep.
I used to be HEAVILY into all of that. I still like it and all, but not as much.

The only book I own is called "Myths of the Norsemen: From the Eddas and Sagas"

I usually just rented books from the library.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
I've always thought it was a little unfair to use the term "myth" or its variations. Myth sounds derogatory when compared to religion. The Norse believed in their gods just as Christians believe in theirs.
I agree, but I was just saying the name of my book. That's it.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Oh, I was just commenting in general, like the name of the thread, etc.
Last edited by ogrish14 at Jan 26, 2007,
Wow, I'm not into any mythology. But since I read this thread it the storys remind me of the ones my grandad used to tell me. Thanks for rekindeling an interest guys.
Quote by ogrish14
I've always thought it was a little unfair to use the term "myth" or its variations. Myth sounds derogatory when compared to religion. The Norse believed in their gods just as Christians believe in theirs.

Yeah I've thought about that significantly as well. Surely if Jesus can come back to life, or Mary can have a baby as a virgin, then so to can exist dwarves and giants? Frankly, I find Norse stories (legends, tales, myths, whatever you want) more meaningful than most things in the bible. When I find the Viking "code" I will post it.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Jan 26, 2007,
I've been meaning to get into some real Norse mythology. The closest I've come is Thor comics.
I want to learn more about Norse mythology but I'm not sure where to start. So many damn characters and stories. And does anyone happen to know somewhere other than Wikipedia I can read about it?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Loki getting fucked by a horse and having its child.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by fail
I want to learn more about Norse mythology but I'm not sure where to start. So many damn characters and stories. And does anyone happen to know somewhere other than Wikipedia I can read about it?

go to your local bookstore (or online store) and find an English language copy of the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda. that's a good place to start. you can also find translations online, if you are cheap, or by it for your Kindle from Amazon or whatever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 20, 2011,
I like their afterlife. Not much else to say, really.
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Valhalla rules, vikings will kick the asses of both ninjas and pirates, and ragnarok is just badass.

And the stories are great. Baldurs death, Thor dressing up as a woman, that wolf kicking some serious ass, etc.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I'm a Norse pagan, so I know a lot of stories. My favourite was always the one where Loki cuts off Sif's hair, it has been my favourite since childhood.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by xX_JIMI_Xx
im really interested in it but i dont really know many stories.

Then you're not very interested in it, now are you?

Honestly surprised nobody has mentioned Bathory yet, easily my favourite band with Norse/pagan themes.
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Quote by theogonia777
go to your local bookstore (or online store) and find an English language copy of the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda. that's a good place to start. you can also find translations online, if you are cheap, or by it for your Kindle from Amazon or whatever.

Sounds good.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Then you're not very interested in it, now are you?

How do you figure? I don't know many stories either but being interested is how one begins to learn them.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Page 1 of 2