I'm making a fuzz pedal, and after wiring everything, it didn't work the first couple of times, so I fixed that; but now, it works only with no battery in it (no fuzz obviously). It just passes the signal through normally when no battery is in it, and when I put a battery in, everything goes silent. No hum or anything. I guess that means that the signal is being sent straight to ground, but I have no idea how to fix that. All of the wiring looks alright. Could the switch be causing the problem (Ive never really understood how to wire it up)? It's 3PDT, without a LED. Do I need to add the LED or something?

By the way, the fuzz has never worked properly; before it was just hum the whole time.

I'm using these schematics:

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/pictures/fuzz_face_schematic.jpg
http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_battery.gif (Without the LED)
It doesn't sound like the switch to me. Try that link I gave you. Also make sure you have the right pinouts for the transistors in the right spots.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by hokiecmo
It doesn't sound like the switch to me. Try that link I gave you. Also make sure you have the right pinouts for the transistors in the right spots.

Hmmmm...It does seem as if the collector and the emitter are reversed. AFAIK, this requires me to reverse the polarity of some components....the caps, and the battery too?

Crap, I was sure I'd bought NPN tranny's.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jan 26, 2007,
I believe you need to reverse any diodes, battery, and polarized caps and I believe it should work if you bought PNP instead of NPN (I haven't done this, but I believe I read it on diystompboxes).
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Great. Now the pedal works with the battery in it, but there is no fuzz, only a small volume drop compared to when bypassed.

EDIT:

This is how to solve it according to Geofex:
"Weak or no effect in sound when effect is engaged -

"

http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/weakeffx.htm
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jan 26, 2007,
ok, heres what you do... you take that pedal you made...and you throw it through the window and it should work now..if it doesnt....daddy's gonna buy you a mocking bird =D
idk how to fix it.... =...!
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
ok, heres what you do... you take that pedal you made...and you throw it through the window and it should work now..if it doesnt....daddy's gonna buy you a mocking bird =D
idk how to fix it.... =...!

Here's the technique that finally got my TS808 clone fixed.

Plug your guitar into the input jack and take off the output jack. Make sure the battery is connected too. Use an alligator clip or something to connect the output ground to the board ground and connect a .1 uf cap to the tip of the output jack. Connect a guitar cord between the output jack and amp. Use the other lead of the cap on the output jack to probe around on the board, following the signal path starting at the input jack. I'd suggest turning the volume down a bit on the amp since it can be loud at times. Once you don't get a signal anymore or the signal changes when it shouldn't (before and after a solder joint) then you've found a trouble spot.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX