I just bought an used Ibanez S470! I like it a lot better thank my old guitar.
So the guy at the guitar shop told me he set it all up and changed strings (9-42 gauge) before he sold it. But i'm having problems with the low E string: it rattles and buzzes, not that much when not fretted (but still very noticeable), a lot when fretted and especially from fret 8 downwards (yes even before the 8th though). It makes the string sound very muffled and consequently power chords (on E string) and anything that involves the low E sounds wet and muffled like if the amp was underwater, thus bad. When unplugged you can hear the buzzes more clearly, which does not happen on the other strings. Yes infact the other strings have no problem whatsoever and sound beautiful.... But I still have this problem. I wonder if it's something to do with action, maybe it's set too low i don't know (i've never touched any guitar parameters like action or intonation on my guitars).

So how do you think I should fix it (if it is fixable!)? Should I take it back to the shop (i've had it 2 days) and have it looked at or can I do something by myself?

Sorry for the long read Thanks in advance !!
I cant remember whether this is hardtail or not, but just raise the saddles/entire bridge.
how does one do that? do I have to unscrew the whole bridge?
And anyway it's floating trem...
MY suggestion woudl be to change to gauge 10 strings. The extra tension will help to keep the string from buzzing. If you don't want to do that, then take an allen wrench and rotate the peg by the low e to the left about 1/8 of a turn until the problem is gone. I had teh same problem onm y custom guitar based off a s470, changing the strings to tens and settign up the trem for them will solve it easily.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
Quote by The_Marshall_Gu
MY suggestion woudl be to change to gauge 10 strings. The extra tension will help to keep the string from buzzing. If you don't want to do that, then take an allen wrench and rotate the peg by the low e to the left about 1/8 of a turn until the problem is gone. I had teh same problem onm y custom guitar based off a s470, changing the strings to tens and settign up the trem for them will solve it easily.

+1.

Your probably just need to raise your action a bit. Do what The_Marshall_Gu said.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
My S470 had similar fret buzz on the E when I first got it.

It seemed to fix itself after a week or 2...
By allen wrench you mean the hexagonal peg just before the bridge pickup? If so, can i do what you told me without detuning and loosening the strings or i can try like that??
Thanks a lot

to Lewiji: yes but my S470 is not new... so i don't think it's the case
raise the action if taht doesnt work check to see if the springs are vibrating
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Ok but i'm a newb and I need to know if i need to untighten the string or i can do it right now! And is the allen wrench what I think it is?
Uhm, and I can't find the right size wrench....u guess i'll give it a try later

Thank you anyway for your help
perhaps with the upper frets of the low e being not quite as worn as the lower ones that it may be touching those? sounds like a definate action problem to me though
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by Lewiji
My S470 had similar fret buzz on the E when I first got it.

It seemed to fix itself after a week or 2...

Same
it is a metric not FPS wrench
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
To raise the action adjust the spring tension at the back of the guitar. (Since no one has told you yet and you might not know how to do it)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a sort of action problem with my own s470. I've lowered the spring tension to the lowest it can go, but the action is still too high for me. Is there anything I can do to lower it otherwise? I had started a thread on this but no one seemed to be replying, and this problem is becoming really frustrating.

Again, sorry to post my own troubles in your thread.