Hey, i'm just looking for some advice on what cab to buy. I'm looking for something releitivly cheap and i'm fairly set on getting a 4x10. Also it needs to be availible in the UK. I'm using a Bass Pod as a preamp and a power amp to power it. So just any advice on what brand and model. I like the Laney 4 x 10 loads but its only got a freq responce of 50hz not 40 So that'd involve getting a full stack which is just to big.
Never plan anything - it's much more fun to go and do something else. The most surprising thing about planning is the faliure that seems to always succeed it.

Sir John Harvey (Changed a bit - couldnt remember the original.. Meh, this one's tonnes better :P)
Quote by Talus
Hey, i'm just looking for some advice on what cab to buy. I'm looking for something releitivly cheap and i'm fairly set on getting a 4x10. Also it needs to be availible in the UK. I'm using a Bass Pod as a preamp and a power amp to power it. So just any advice on what brand and model. I like the Laney 4 x 10 loads but its only got a freq responce of 50hz not 40 So that'd involve getting a full stack which is just to big.
Don't worry too much about the 50Hz, Behringer cabs are also a good buy, a safer bet than their amps etc.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Really, i always thought that it needed to be able to do 40, spose i dont really mind if the low E's a little fuzzy. I gave behringer a good look and i know they have great power handleing for price but i've never tried one. I'm not a huge fan of the alliuminum cones though, i'll see if i can try one in my local music shop.
Never plan anything - it's much more fun to go and do something else. The most surprising thing about planning is the faliure that seems to always succeed it.

Sir John Harvey (Changed a bit - couldnt remember the original.. Meh, this one's tonnes better :P)
There are paper coned behringers, also look at the Hartke VX410
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ok, so hartke and behringer. Whats anyones opinions on laney, peavy and GK (backline)? I've been looking at them alot. Also i've figured 1x15's are a lot cheaper. Is 4 x 10 the right way to go?

Cheers for the help.

4x10s are usually a better option if you are only buying one cab, from what i have heard, the laneys are pretty good and so are the GK's, im not so keen on peavey stuff personally though
Quote by Bumper

Behringer has way tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many bad reviews. I would have have my cab and head by now if it weren't the case.

Hartke , warwick are better bets.

I'm currently doing the same hunting as you. And yes , it's in england , too.
I'm also part of this hunt, but i think im going to buy the hartke
Quote by Bumper

Ashdown isn't mentioned, so I'll do that. Blue cones look great and the sound is pretty good. I play a 2 x 10 and a 1 x 15. Love the sound.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Ashdowns rule.

The mag series has some really nice cabs. I believe the 4x10s are 299.
The 2x10s are 200 i think. NO idea about the 1x15. It came attached to my amp.
I have to so John, I'm a little suprised. Normally I, along with the rest of the forum, trust your opinion(sp). But supporting Behringer gear? Madness! Sheer, madness. I've read so mnay bad reviews about Behringer cabs, they're what have kept me from buying one of their cabs. Those horror stories frighten me a little too much to trust one during a gig.

I love my Ashdown, my 4x10 was $300 USD, the 1x15 is also $300 USD I think. The 2x10 is about $190 USD. GK's are quality cabs and are the same price as the Ashdowns.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
I have to so John, I'm a little suprised. Normally I, along with the rest of the forum, trust your opinion(sp). But supporting Behringer gear? Madness! Sheer, madness. I've read so mnay bad reviews about Behringer cabs, they're what have kept me from buying one of their cabs. Those horror stories frighten me a little too much to trust one during a gig.

I love my Ashdown, my 4x10 was $300 USD, the 1x15 is also $300 USD I think. The 2x10 is about $190 USD. GK's are quality cabs and are the same price as the Ashdowns.
I wouldn't trust behringer gear regarding their electronic equipment, I have heard their cabs being used and they sounded OK, but, if as you say they too are unreliable then I will retract my recomendation.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I can probably spend up to £250 or possibly higher if its really worth it. I'm gonna go try the hartke cab today and see what i think. GK's always been a strong options but i've heard bad things about the backline series. Is it alright to get Cabs (and power amps for that matter) off ebay or are these the kinda things i should be buying new?

Quote by Talus
I can probably spend up to £250 or possibly higher if its really worth it. I'm gonna go try the hartke cab today and see what i think. GK's always been a strong options but i've heard bad things about the backline series. Is it alright to get Cabs (and power amps for that matter) off ebay or are these the kinda things i should be buying new?
Do you live in the UK or US?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
UK, but i'm happy to order from the US if the shipping charge is reasonable and it results in me having abetter Cab

Quote by Talus
UK, but i'm happy to order from the US if the shipping charge is reasonable and it results in me having abetter Cab

No , you'll be ****ed. let's say you'll pay out of your ass for it and it may get near the price of the cab itself.
Try ordering from www.thomann.de, delivery on everything is around £15 to the uk and usually, the prices are so cheap they wont even come close to buying one from your local music shop
Quote by Bumper

Yeah i love that place, Its gonna be that or ebay most probably. If second hand cabs and power amps are any good.

It all depends on what you find, one day there might be some perfect condition ampeg 8x10 going for some ridiculously cheap price or there will be some crappy beat up thing going for a stupid amount so just watch out for deals
Quote by Bumper