Hi, i have a Marshall AVT 150 combo amp and over the past year it has exploded 6 times. Each time some sparks come out the top followed by smoke and a nasty smell. The amp has gone back to marshall each time to be repaired (i only paid the first time) but each time it just goes wrong again a couple of weeks after coming back. Could it be that i have it up too loud or have the gain up too high. Or has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance
If the volume knob (or gain knob) goes to 10, it means it's made to be able to go all the way there.

Is your amp in a humid environnement? That may be the problem.
I dont think it's that just because it happens in different places. The first time was in my room at home, then at school, at a mates house, then at uni old room, and now in my new room at uni. And none of these places were excessively humid.
I dunno then.

Maybe you should pay a tech to figure out the problem instead of just replacing the blown out parts.
Can you think of anythink what might be your fault (like transport...)? If not it may be a part of your amp gone wild... good luck!
***I'm not English-speaking so sorry if there's something wrong***

Gear:

Peavey Raptor 2 (Strat cop)
Ibanez SAS-32 FMDRS
Gibson accoustic from the 50s
Aria accoustic
Peavey amp
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100
Ibanez LowFi7
if i were you, i'd try to figure out exactly how to make it explode, get a new amp, and keep that old one as a "finishing touch" at gigs. hehe.
^that would be the coolest thing ever at gigs, if you had the amp at the front of the stage, finish the climax of your solo, and then blow up the amp. That would be cool!!
Six times?!?!?

I'd've never gotten to time #3. It's way past due that Marshall just replace that piece of crap of yours. Failing that, get it fixed again and unload it on some unsuspecting noob before you plug it in again. Preferably someone you don't like.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
im going to go out on a limb here and say. no. it's just another shitty marshall. sell it before it breaks again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by slowhand05
if i were you, i'd try to figure out exactly how to make it explode, get a new amp, and keep that old one as a "finishing touch" at gigs. hehe.

haha, sounds like a plan,
i have the same amp and i turn it up to 10 here and there..... how loud do you usually turn it to and how often?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Last edited by AngelOfSorrow at Jan 26, 2007,
It's a solid state amp, its a general rule that they can take a lot of abuse but it sounds like what you have a piece of crap (even for a Marshall SS). Burn it and get a better amp- if you can't safely turn it up then there's no point in paying for the extra wattage.
much to my utter disgust, mine has never exploded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want to get technical its not "exploding" if it did, theoretically it would be gone.

But get it fixed then sell it and buy something else.
Quote by adscottie
Each time some sparks come out the top followed by smoke and a nasty smell.

COOOOOL! I've never seen an amp explode before. Did it explode during a gig?
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
Quote by Dave_Mc
much to my utter disgust, mine has never exploded.

now i'm gonna spend $1000 on one just so see what it takes. tube might work better, they're less stable. pair a 16-ohm out with a 4 ohm cab and stick in a few short circuits? sounds fun.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ heh.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have teh AVT50HX. Find out what makes it explode and tell me, so I can do it. I reallly want this thing to explode, and I'll even video it and youtube it for everyone.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Imagine that with a whole damn full stack.
After a shredding solo, BOOOM POP POP BOOM!!!!!! SPARKS!!!!!!111

Wow..climax.
Quote by Sid McCall
I have teh AVT50HX. Find out what makes it explode and tell me, so I can do it. I reallly want this thing to explode, and I'll even video it and youtube it for everyone.

I find it really hard... i turn mine up to ten all of the time, it SOUNDS like the thing is going to blow up any minute but never has... it sounds like im playing bass at the same time its pretty damn cool if you ask me
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
And it's not entered your mind to buy a new amp? Get it replaced with a new one, sell it, and get a decent valve amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
I find it really hard... i turn mine up to ten all of the time, it SOUNDS like the thing is going to blow up any minute but never has... it sounds like im playing bass at the same time its pretty damn cool if you ask me

That's because you are overdriving it, and you're probably making the speaker distort too.

*thinks about overdriving SS amps*
yeah i agree with RHCP sell it to someone maybe save a few pennys or if its under warranty call marshall thy may give you money back/off another amp?
Epi 57 lespaul Goldtop
60's Vintage Kay
Jim Dunlop Wah
Crate VTX200S