I just setup with acid music and a a mic. It is really clear when recorded its kind raunchy sounding a bit. I am wondering how I can make it clearer? Iv got it plugged into a highend soundcard. I positioned it an inch from the drill cloth off center. any tips?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
you want to make sure none of your inputs are OVER clipping, normally at the loudest point in the song the clip light should barely be lighting up. if your clipping light comes on normally your input is turned up too loud.
Well... you want it to be clearer, only way to do that is to take out the mic and plug the amp straight into the mixer or the actual computor. A mic picks up outside noise as well as amp noise but it will still be degraded quality just because its being mic'd.

If you have a mixer you can run its line outs to the computor to record, if your recording directly on your computor then amp to soundcard. Now you can fry it or you can do it right and not fry it, you hear any feedback or squeels through the system speakers when your hand touch's the strings then back off the amp volume or suffer a fried card.

Thats the only way i no to get a clearer recorded sound.
Last edited by Madshredder at Jan 27, 2007,
What do i need to purchase to be able to plug right into my soundcard?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Hi....can i plug my amp into my mixer? it says Minimum 8OHM impedence? what does that mean ? and will i get the same tone that i get while playing it out loud?
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
Well... you want it to be clearer, only way to do that is to take out the mic and plug the amp straight into the mixer or the actual computor. A mic picks up outside noise as well as amp noise but it will still be degraded quality just because its being mic'd.

Have you ever recorded before in your life?

Don't tell this kid that a microphone is "degraded" quality? You obviously have next to no experience at any serious recordings. How dare you just spread lies based on assumptions?

Take your favorite record. I'll bet $20 that they mic'd the amps. This is how it works.

The secret to great guitar recordings goes like this:
1) Great guitar player
2) Appropriate guitar for tone desired
3) Amazing amp
4) Air
5) Microphone (SM 57 is a great start. I use a Royer R121).
6) Preamp that compliments the harmonics in the guitar.

That's it.

This whole direct recording thing is a joke for anyone wanting the sound of real guitars on their records.

Now, I am aware that Def Leopard used direct guitars years ago on Pour Some Sugar On Me. That's because they wanted a guitar sound for pop music that wouldn't scare girls. If you want to scare girls with your guitar sound, you probably want to mic an amp.

I have blended some direct tracks in with my real amp tones to create some cool stuff, but the majority of the tone is the microphone and amp.
"Have you ever recorded before in your life?

Don't tell this kid that a microphone is "degraded" quality? You obviously have next to no experience at any serious recordings. How dare you just spread lies based on assumptions?

Take your favorite record. I'll bet $20 that they mic'd the amps. This is how it works. "

This is pretty funny.

Oh and this too.

"This whole direct recording thing is a joke for anyone wanting the sound of real guitars on their records. "

Now enough making fun of you and to the point. It isnt about I have a 300dollar mic and I get great tone and great quality! Its about what the person himself has to work with in general, he may or may not have the funding for a good mic. Direct amping is a cheap and very effective way to get good quality and clear sound.

Also the SM57 is a good mic yes, But it was made for recording everything-vocals,drums,bass,guitar,piano and many many more! Its not near the best at any, I was simply giving a person a cost effective way to get better sound than have to dish out money for a low end mic to have lower quality sound.

Of course by what you've wrote down brandonrury you seem to feel like you know all and everyone else has to be wrong correct?
To be fair, the OP did say he had a 'high end sound card' and if the mic is OK, he probably only needs some kind of mic preamp to bring it up to a decent level for the soundcard, so depending on how much he wants to spend, he could either get a mixer, which would have reasonably good quality preamps in it, or a mic preamp (eg, the M-Audio DMP3, or the Studio Projects VTB-1) he could also get a Direct recording device (eg a POD) but tbh, if he's already got a mic and a good soundcard, he might as well get a decent mic pre to go with them.
Of course by what you've wrote down brandonrury you seem to feel like you know all and everyone else has to be wrong correct?

While I certainly don't know everything, I've made my living for the past 5 years as an audio engineer and running my home recording site.

There are so many lies and myths that I was told on forums like these that it made learning recording very very difficult.

While I certainly don't have all the answers or know everything, I do know when a person is spreading "guesses" or at best, limited personal experiences.

The direct recording thing is popular these days for kids in their bedrooms, but I don't know a single person who loves the sound they are getting, especially if they have hopes of competing (on an engineering level) with their favorite records.

Yes, pluging a guitar into a soundcard will allow you to recording your playing, which you can run into a guitar plugin. It's up to the person to decide if this is adequate. The problem I had was you said...

Well... you want it to be clearer, only way to do that is to take out the mic and plug the amp straight into the mixer or the actual computor.

Recording a DI'd guitar is not the "only" way of getting a tone. In fact, for me, it's the worst way. I've tried out the DIs and guitar simulators. They still can't compete with the real thing...not yet anyway.

I don't mean to be a jerk but when you say that X is the ONLY way of doing something, it sounds like you are claiming to be the "know it all".

If you are unhappy with your mic'd guitars, I'm curious as to what went wrong. The sound of the amp? The mic? The placement of the mic?

Brandon