So for christmas my parents thought it'd be a wonderful idea to get me the Marshall MG100HDFX half stack. Needless to say I cant stand the piece of junk so I'm trading it in for a smaller amp. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some amps to try out that are in the price range of $500-$1000. Would I be able to get a tube amp for that price? If so what brands should I check out? I listen to mostly metal, but some classic rock as well.

Any help is appreciated...
Laney tube amps are relatively cheap, but awesome. They've got plenty of gain for metal, and if you use pedals, that'll help too. I'm considering a Laney LC-50 combo. Perhaps you should, too.

Marshall DSL401 is also good.
The best thing is you can tell your parents your doing it for them...

"Of course I love it, it's amazing, but look at the size of it! It's going to be way too loud to play at home, and I don't want to be disturbing everyone...I'd rather get something a bit smaller for everybody's sake."

sorted

Laneys are always a good bet, maybe an Ashdown Fallen Angel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah really I can't stand the Marshall. Just the thought of it enrages me to be honest. Maybe I need anger management...
Quote by kdig
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some amps to try out that are in the price range of $500-$1000. Would I be able to get a tube amp for that price?

You'll have a wide selection of all tube amps to choose from in that price range, maybe not too many for metal, though. Peavey's XXX combo might be worth a look.

If you look used, you could probably find a 5150, or even a Mesa F30 or F50, and still have a few bucks to spare. That's the route I'd take.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What about the Vox AC30? Is that a good amp I should look at? I dont really care about insane distortion, just enough to get me by... I figure I can use pedals to help boost it if i need to.

Also would the AC15 be loud enough to do band practice and small gigs or would I just have to go for the AC30?
Last edited by kdig at Jan 26, 2007,
If you're into classic 60's and 70's tones it's a good choice, maybe not so much if you like more modern tones. Cracking amp though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kdig
What about the Vox AC30? Is that a good amp I should look at?

I dream of the Vox AC30. It's a beautiful amp. Probably not the choice for a guy who's mostly into metal, though. But try 'em out and decide for yourself. If Helter Skelter and Tie Your Mother Down have enough gain for you, maybe you'll do alright.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a couple AC30 heads in the $700 range. I don't think I'm gonna do that anymore.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hey, its the thought that counts at least.

But in that range you can always find a used 5150 for about 5-600.
Peavey xxx combo is a good one.
The ashdown is a great amp for metal, tons of gain, but I hear they have some reliablity issues. i was going to buy one until I kept hearing and reading that if you want to gig, have a back up because they break down alot.
The vox ac 15/30 is the next amp im going to buy, but since your looking for a metal amp, i dont think ti should be your first choice. Regardless if your going to run a pedal through it or not.
Just get an amp that is meant to play your style so you wont need to use horrid sounding pedals as nothing beats tube distortion....except the mg. Jk.