Bridge. Neck pickups are rhythm, mainly. It depends on what pickups you have in what positions though! The reason the bridge pickup is considered the lead pickup, or trebel is because the string vibrations that are picked up from the lead pickup vibrate less, which causes them to sound more trebel(ish) than bass(ish). Try picking the strings right next to the bridge, much brighter sounding, yeah?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 26, 2007,
Usually the bridge, although some people can think differently about it and use the neck more.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
ya, that bridge is more of the trebley pickup. The neck is used to play chords and to get a nice blues sound (at least for me).
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I think the bridge is best for lead. I even use it for sweeping which I hear isn't too good, but to me it sounds better.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
i dont believe in a "lead" pickup. use whatever you want really. its all about what kind of sound you want.
So, for metal, do you guys think it would be best to have two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge pickup, or have the 'bucker in the neck pickup and then the single coils?

Both seem like they would have their advantages........
I mostly use my bridge pick-up really, since it gives that trebly, twangy sound good for classic rock like GNR. Switch to neck pickup for some of the solos though.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
The ideal for metal would actually be two humbuckers and no single coils.

But if you must have singles, then put them in the neck and middle positions.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I asked this because I'm thinking of upgrading my Strat to one with a humbucker and two singles. My old Strat had three regular single coils, and with the right amp and overdrive it sounded as "metal" as any ESP or Ibanez I've ever played. I figured that getting one with a humbucker would be even better.
I dont see the point in having a humbucker in the bridge because it just sounds like a single coil in the middle. A humbucker should always be in the neck position and a single coil in the bridge gives a unique sound you can't get with humbuckers
Quote by untitled039
I dont see the point in having a humbucker in the bridge because it just sounds like a single coil in the middle. A humbucker should always be in the neck position and a single coil in the bridge gives a unique sound you can't get with humbuckers

odd thing to hear
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
For rock music, the bridge is lead and the neck is rhythm.
For metal/shred, it is usually the other way around.
Quote by untitled039

What are you on?
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Now that I think about it, I've seen quite a few guitars with only one pickup: a humbucker in the bridge position. This seems to logically suggest that the bridge is the correct placement. (I could be wrong)
I don't understand.

I use the bridge for rhythm and the bridge for lead...

Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
that would be the bridge pickup
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by fimbulwinter
Now that I think about it, I've seen quite a few guitars with only one pickup: a humbucker in the bridge position. This seems to logically suggest that the bridge is the correct placement. (I could be wrong)

you can put humuckers on the bridge or the neck. humbuckers just have a better sound than single coil.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker
you can put humuckers on the bridge or the neck. humbuckers just have a better sound than single coil.

not always. SRV used single coils and had one of the best tones around. they just sound different.
true, it all just depends on the style you're playing
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I use the bridge position (humbucker) to play both rhythm and lead if is metal. To play clean sounds i use only the neck pickup (single coil).
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
either pickup can be used for Lead or Rythem. It all depends on the artist using them, but no pickup is designated for a certian thing. Some of the best lead players have used both pickups for soloing depending on the sound that want to achieve during the solo. I've watched Zakk wylde switch between Bridge and Neck during a solo, so there is definitely uses in both depending on what you want to achieve.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by calebrocker

Why do people post dumb crap like this? No, humbuckers are not better than single coils, they're just different.

And I use my neck pickup quite a bit for lead stuff because it has a smoother tone.
slash is a great example of how to use both pickups in playing lead - neck for warmth and bridge for bite
Quote by untitled039
I dont see the point in having a humbucker in the bridge because it just sounds like a single coil in the middle.

Are you kidding?
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Understand this, there's no rule that bridge is for leads, neck for rhythm. Do whatever you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
hey if you had dual EMG 81's and used the bridge pickup would one pickup affect the others tone say you had an EMG 85 in the neck and 81 in the bridge and you used the bridge pickup would it sound the exact same as using the bridge pickup with dual 81's or do both pickups affect eachothers tone?
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by Shredlet
hey if you had dual EMG 81's and used the bridge pickup would one pickup affect the others tone say you had an EMG 85 in the neck and 81 in the bridge and you used the bridge pickup would it sound the exact same as using the bridge pickup with dual 81's or do both pickups affect eachothers tone?

only if you use them together
I play riffs and such with my bridge and solo's (usually beyond the 12th fret) on my neck.

If I'm playing actual chords, I usually use either the 2nd or 4th positions.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by R_H_C_P
Understand this, there's no rule that bridge is for leads, neck for rhythm. Do whatever you want.

We all know this, of course, but to the inexperienced player, matters can be more troubling. They may like to use the neck for solos, as it is more smooth, but it doesn't help when manufacturers put "Treble" and "Rhythm" labels on the switch
Quote by Vermintide
We all know this, of course, but to the inexperienced player, matters can be more troubling. They may like to use the neck for solos, as it is more smooth, but it doesn't help when manufacturers put "Treble" and "Rhythm" labels on the switch

Or in my case, don't put Treble and Rhythm. I couldn't figure out which pickup was which switch position when I first started out.

Anyways, classic rockish usually uses treble for lead, metal/punk/alternative usually uses rhythm for lead.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I use the neck for lead and the bridge for Rythm, as Runs on the neck are smoother and rythm on the bridge is less muddy and more defined.

Its all personal choice tho.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I always use the treble pickup on my Les Paul for rhythm guitar (like barre chords, power chords, etc.)... but what I don't get it that the neck pickup is labeled "rhythm" but it sounds horrible for rhythm with a conciderable amount of distortion. The only time I can get the rhythm pickup to sound good is clean, or with very little overdrive. Why is is called rhythm when you can't really play rhythm with it?
I use my neck for most solos and a lot of clean stuff just because I like the flatter sound it has, though I'll use my bridge for distorted rhythm and the occasional solo if it's a sharper sound I'm looking for.