I was looking at this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_marshall_mg100hdfxmg412_slant_cab_half_stack_package?full_sku=482807 and was wondering about the quality of it. I would just being using it for practicing with my band and small local shows. Would this do the trick or do have any other recommendations amp wise around the same price that would get the job done?

Thanks in Advance.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
You'll probably hear a lot of bad stuff about it, but it sounds good for metal. It's not the best amp ever, but it will suffice. You could get a different combo amp like Ashdown Fallen Angel or something as well. At gigs, you can mic your amp anyhoo. Good luck though.
theres a saying that marshall MG'S rent marshalls at all. which is pretty true, coz their shite,

inb that price range have a look at hte peavey valveking 212, i have it and its really good.
and dont worry about it only being 2 speakers, its all tube so it sounds better, louder and just generally whoopass in comparison
All i want to say is that around 99% of people who but this amp hate!! it. I suppose it could be alrtie for gigs but then again tone isn't that important when gigging, do a bit more research because i strongly advise you don't get it. Youll be much more satisfied with something else, don't get attracted just because its a "marshall"
You're So Scene Right Now ^_^

Quote by Kensai
Finally his girlfriend found out what it was like giving oral sex to fishsmelling genital organs.
I have one of these, and you don't need something this big for local shows, the MG100DFX combo would be able to satisfy ya needs, it's just the same, not as powerfull but good enough to get what ya looking for and cheaper.
Quote by Open fire
All i want to say is that around 99% of people who but this amp hate!! it. I suppose it could be alrtie for gigs but then again tone isn't that important when gigging, do a bit more research because i strongly advise you don't get it. Youll be much more satisfied with something else, don't get attracted just because its a "marshall"

And tone isn't important while gigging?

Don't get this amp. The MG and AVT are marshalls attempts at SS and hybrid. They failed miserably but still sold both simply because of the 'Marshall' on the front and the low price. You could get far more for your money, I can't be specific but just don't get this haha.

Cheers.
Quote by sofubar

And tone isn't important while gigging?

Don't get this amp. The MG and AVT are marshalls attempts at SS and hybrid. They failed miserably but still sold both simply because of the 'Marshall' on the front and the low price. You could get far more for your money, I can't be specific but just don't get this haha.

Cheers.

yeah, the mg is poor. avoid it. especially if you're gigging.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the Marshall MG a good buy, you ask?

Well, let me follow the great tradition of the Greek philosophers, by answering your question with a question.

Is it good to rape your own siblings, set fire to nuns, kick children in the teeth, urinate on your own clothing, or give blood when you're HIV-positive?

FUCK NO IT'S NOT
Don't by a solid state half stack its not worth it. Just go for a used tube combo or half stack.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
I think that MG would work for practicing + local shows. Considering most locla shows aren't large venues, it'll more than fullfil your needs.
Not worth the money, get a valveking 212, better tone, and it probably would be a little louder since its valve.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
doesn't zakk wylde use the mg100hdfx head? i know he uses some mg series head.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
Quote by soadquake981
doesn't zakk wylde use the mg100hdfx head? i know he uses some mg series head.

It just says that in the ads. Zakks and endorsment *****.
the only MG he uses is the Microstack and thats for on the tourbus
Quote by AdamDK
I think that MG would work for practicing + local shows. Considering most locla shows aren't large venues, it'll more than fullfil your needs.

Of course it will work, you can get away with a 15 watt Fender solid state amp if it's miked. The point is, MGs suck and you'd be much better off with a 40-50 watt tube combo.

Quote by Open fire
but then again tone isn't that important when gigging

I hope you're just trolling? If not, please do everyone else a favor and quit guitar now.
I bet half of these people havent even played mgs but are just hating on it to look cool. Yes its not the best amp because its high priced for what you are getting while you could get basically the same for crate. No its not as good as a tube amp but if you want a fairly decent tube amp it will cost a bit more. I have a peavey valveking 212 right now and its alright, but i played this mg at band practice and surpsingly it was better than i thought. With the right eq you CAN get a good/decent metal tone so its not too bad. Usually low end solid state amp cleans arent too good so i wouldnt expect much from there. But you could probably get a jcm800 combo on ebay for just a little more, so look on ebay for some tube combos it would probably be a better choice.
Quote by Nightgoat
I have one of these, and you don't need something this big for local shows, the MG100DFX combo would be able to satisfy ya needs, it's just the same, not as powerfull but good enough to get what ya looking for and cheaper.

NO.

Quote by AdamDK

Go away.

Quote by SatchBoogie
I have no idea about that but I played a Marshall Valvestate today...Frickin awesome amp.

Youre horrible at life. go die.

yeah, TS, don't bother with the MG's. i barely have an ear for tone, and i can tell that they suck.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
yea, they aren't the best amps u can buy...
i have an MG and i think i shoulda bought a vox...
turn up the volume higher than 4, the sound breaks up miserably.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard

Well, let me follow the great tradition of the Greek philosophers, by answering your question with a question.

Is it good to rape your own siblings, set fire to nuns, kick children in the teeth, urinate on your own clothing, or give blood when you're HIV-positive?

FUCK NO IT'S NOT

Quote by thrice07
I bet half of these people havent even played mgs but are just hating on it to look cool. Yes its not the best amp because its high priced for what you are getting while you could get basically the same for crate. No its not as good as a tube amp but if you want a fairly decent tube amp it will cost a bit more. I have a peavey valveking 212 right now and its alright, but i played this mg at band practice and surpsingly it was better than i thought. With the right eq you CAN get a good/decent metal tone so its not too bad. Usually low end solid state amp cleans arent too good so i wouldnt expect much from there. But you could probably get a jcm800 combo on ebay for just a little more, so look on ebay for some tube combos it would probably be a better choice.

I've tried it and it sucks. I also own a marshall avt and it's rubbish as well. Even more so, when you consider how expensive it was.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

F**** NO IT'S NOT

Dude you are my new hero!!
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
Quote by Open fire

tone isnt important when giging.........are u fuc*ing high?????
tone isnt important when giging.........are u fuc*ing high?????

he must be a Dimebag fan

I can't think of anything more important than tone when gigging...

...electricity, possibly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sobriety?

nah, optional extra...

audience comes in handy i suppose...and a venue.

But after that, tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just buy a VOX AD50VT instead. WAY better.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
MGs arent as terrible as everyone makes them out to be, but they are still overpriced, and they shouldnt even make a halfstack version of it, because it sounds really shitty at high volumes. If you got a smaller MG, it would be a mediocre practice amp at best, but your tone will sound shitty when played at high volumes. I would try to get a decent tube combo instead. I think you should try the B52 AT 112. Its 50 bucks cheaper, 60 watts all tube, so it will be able to gig easily, and it sounds awesome.