can a song key be titled something other than major or minor??? For example you hear that a song is in the key of A minor or C major but could it be in the key of say E Phrygian? or B Locrian? I've only heard songs titled in the key of major or minor and I've always wondered why have I never heard "this song is in __ Lydian." or any other mode at that. I know this is probably a pretty n00bie like question but I'm just somewhat curious.
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
Hmm, thats actually a good question. I have never heard them in another key. It usually is just minor or major, but you bring up a good point.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
In all honesty, you never heard classical pieces in some mode because modes are outdated. Modes are what the Catholic Church used before the major/minor concept was developed.
Even if you write a song using modes, it is still in the Key of Major or Minor, because the modes are all Major or Minor scales themselves.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A song may use G Lydian of D Dorian, but it is still in the key of G major (with one sharp) and D minor (with one flat).

+1.

the mode adds color, and in all reality you hear it as an exotic 'major' or 'minor'
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R