Alright, I was at school and this guy came up and asked me to be in his band. I said ok cool, cause I know the guy and he's alright, then he proceeded to tell me they play Industrial music. And not wanting to look like an idiot I said, "ok cool."
So any ohter bassist here play industrial and give me a nudge towards how to play? I can't find any industrial music so that hasn't worked out for me. Is it like a Rock style, or Metal, or Alternative? From the music he had wrote said it had a clean guitar line, but the intro was drop D distorted. And that sounds like metal to me. And would I play 5ths, 8ths, 3rds, or just simple root notes? Is it straight eighths or what. Dang I'm lost and confused. Help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance!

Orlando
www.vampirefreaks.com they have a bunch of industrial bands
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
the only industrial ive heard is fear factory.....its pretty weird IMO....but good luck
check out uhhhh i think older nine inch nails. there industrial sounding
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
i got told that "deadstar assembly" and "coal chamber" are industrial aswell...
no idea though, don't really listen to them.
Top lel.
Quote by _RATM_
the only industrial ive heard is fear factory.....its pretty weird IMO....but good luck

How are FF weird? They're pretty heavy and awesome.

Quote by TheHobbes
Static X?

Quote by the memory
i got told that "deadstar assembly" and "coal chamber" are industrial aswell...
no idea though, don't really listen to them.

Coal Chamber and Static-X are just nu-metal.

NIN would be considered "industrial" I suppose, but Trent Reznor himself does not like that label, as he considers "industrial" to be more like Skinny Puppy or Ministry.
Industrial music has a lot of varietys.. there's the really weird electronic stuff (like some of Skinny Puppy's work), and there's the more rock/metal industrial stuff (Ministry, NIN, etc) which can either be fast eights, or grooves. NIN has a lot of cool grooves. Being a huge NIN fan (see avatar) I would suggest checking out their Pretty Hate Machine album for their "more industrial" stuff, or the Fragile album for the "rock industrial" stuff. The Downward Spiral is a masterpiece, but it's not very musically relevant here.

In industrial, I don't think the bass player has a huge role, as there is a lot of sampling and other noise, including keyboards and synths, going on.

I think if you just stick to the guitar roots, maybe with some distortion, you should do fine, but you should jam with them to see what their style is. If you can find room in the music to do some of your own improv, then that's cool too.

Anyways, check out Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Revolting Cocks, even maybe Rob Zombie.

EDIT: Ahhhh I forgot! Definitely check out Godflesh.

Just a sidenote: Skinny Puppy is one of the most influential bands in industrial music, and they hail from my hometown of Vancouver, Canada. I think that's cool.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Jan 27, 2007,
DEFINATELY SKIINY PUPPY.
A lot of the earlier NIN is heavily influenced from these gods.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
i wouldnt worry about it

when you guys first jam, they wont be worried that you dont know what the hell you're playing, cuz you've never heard their songs and riffs.

just give it time, and put your soul into your parts. it doesnt have to follow "genre rules"

just make sure to make a kickass bassline, and make sure your bandmates dont h8 you
My gear:
Spector Legend Classic (4 str)
Ampeg BA115
Korg AX3000B Modeling Processor

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop" club. PM C.C. Deville to join
Quote by Jubagel
i wouldnt worry about it

when you guys first jam, they wont be worried that you dont know what the hell you're playing, cuz you've never heard their songs and riffs.

just give it time, and put your soul into your parts. it doesnt have to follow "genre rules"

just make sure to make a kickass bassline, and make sure your bandmates dont h8 you

Well with most industrial songs, it'd be weird to have a walking bassline, even if you're pouring your soul into it.
Well, what I find in a lot of industrial is a real driving, grinding, heavy bass line. Not really sticking to the root notes but keeping a nice, well, mean, pumping bass line. Often distorted, drop tuned and played with a pick. Think heavy metal, only simplified and a little less intriquite. Industrial-bassing usually isn't about showing off your chops, it's more showing off your ability to keep a heavy, steady groove. Hope that helps.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Ministry is a great example of a keyboard driven idustrial band. If you're gonna be working with alot of synths and programming, then be prepared as a guitarist to just lay back and provide the foundation with a heavy riff, almost like a bassist. Fear Factory is great at doing that.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by Charlatan_001
Well with most industrial songs, it'd be weird to have a walking bassline, even if you're pouring your soul into it.

what i meant was, if you're a good bassist, you'll know what to do with the music
My gear:
Spector Legend Classic (4 str)
Ampeg BA115
Korg AX3000B Modeling Processor

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop" club. PM C.C. Deville to join
ok KMFDM, Ministry and Skinny Puppy are the only things close to industrial mentioned here, (though the band may be Industrial rock in which NIN would fit) if you want real indistrial try Pig Destroyer, Throbbing Gristle, Laibach and stuff like that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm