hey, im planning on buying my first fretless next week, it doesnt have any fretlines, or dots (maybe on the sides of the neck).

im wondering: how do you start learning to play the fretless after fretted? sounds general i know, but i mean, when i pick it up for my practise sessions and routines, where should i start? im guessing 'learning intonation'. how is an efficient way of practising/learning that? i dont have a piano or anything with me, but i do have my fretted bass to test against if needed.

many thanx
i need to get a better signature.
try and get one with lines, its way easier. That's all I know, I don't play fretless.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
try and get one with lines, its way easier. That's all I know, I don't play fretless.

im buying the lineless model by choice. it will help me with my intonation and generally looks much cooler.
i need to get a better signature.
If you have a tuner, you could try playing each note on the bass up against the tuner (it'd help if it was chromatic.) That'd be a good way to learn your intonation.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Use your ear buying one without lines was a good choice in my opinion. It really makes it more pure with you your ear and the bass.(but it also looks way cooler )

It really helps to have a teacher that has played any fretless instrument really. Even if you have a bass teacher and he played violin for a few years in high school he can really help with showing you the ropes of fretless instruments.

It really almost becomes muscle memory after a while (I played cello for a couple of years... as in last year and the year before.) even though your teacher will tell you to stop using your eyes and use your ears it's not an easy thing to do. For first starting off slowly play scales up the neck on the same string with a chromatic tuner(these are a must). That's the easiest place to begin anyway. Then begin with some songs you learned on fretted so you know what it sounds like, and then move on to new songs when your ear develops.
i had been playing for a few years prior to getting a fretless so muscle memory worked for me

at first i had one or two off notes (specifically it was on the 2nd 6th and 11th frets)

but practice with a tuner helped
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
i got one with lines for that exact reason. you could put little stickers or something on it while you learn it then take them off once you have it down. that's what i did for double-bass
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I've just started, albeit with a lined neck. After orientating myself, it really wasn't bad/hard to play. Not claiming I'm a virtuoso, but physically, its not bad at all.

I haven't tried my hand at one with no visuals, but I've heard that after playing bass for a while your hand sort of knows where to put itself and it isn't bad.

In anycase, its tons o' fun, especially imitating horns. It feels so... three dimensional.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I taught myself to play fretless with no lines, just the dots on the side of the neck. It's actually pretty easy to adapt, it just takes a little bit of time to adjust to where the un-dotted frets should be. 2, 4, and 6 are pretty easy, but get above the 9th fret and it becomes pretty damn hard to get it right. Just be willing to work at it, and remind yourself that people's reactions are to a bassist who can play unlined fretless.
-PLAIDOCASTER
-Ibanez Iceman Bass (Sunburst)
-Nonack Special Mk. II (Blood Red Mahogany/ Natural Binding)
-Fretless Soundgear (Color Shift Purple/Blue/Red/Orange)
-Pearl Export 5 pc. Drumset (Black)
I dont play bass, nor' fretless bass, but if you know your bass's fretboard well, and position your fingers right on your bass, you shouldn't need to worry about the fretless.
The bass I'm building might be fretless, so keep the comments coming. I can pretty much play my bass now without looking down at the neck, save for long jumps, so I don't think I'll have much trouble after I've gotten used to where the G, A, B, C#'s are at on my E string. But I'm guessing practice makes perfect in this situation?
^yeah pretty much
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
it helps to practice playing your fretted ontop of the frets to memorize where they are.
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
It's really not that hard of a transition so long as you know the fretboard. I play an unlined and it just takes some getting used to. Just try to recognize postions on the fretboard by tone rather than by sight, it'll take some time.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
the only sucky part is if you switch from fretted to non a non fret is that you muscle memory isnt on the fret its in between where 2 is so it sounds a little off sometimes.