ever had problems with unsightly stickers all over your guitar?

i know i have.

Follow these simple steps and you will soon be rid of them. for the tutorial, i used a peavey falcon strat-ish guitar.

start with your friend the hairdryer. it is less dangerous than a heat gun, but hot enough to remove stickers.

now, move the hairdryer around the edge of the sticker you want to lift. then, when it is nice and hot, lift it (not too hot) slowly from one end to the other

now, when you finish, that may be good, but what about this?:

Take your good frat buddy WD-40

Spray some on a paper towel and rub a dub it all over the guitar where the stickers left residue.

let it sit, and then wipe it off, using force if necessary, In a circular motion.

Congrats: you have the finished product.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Jan 26, 2007,
nice im impressed, helps alot of kids out
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
You might want to use something apart from WD-40, it leaves an oily residue.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Awesome. Does any sort of oil (Like lemon oil) work in general, rather than WD40?
dunno, but goo gone works quite well. no residue, either.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
the wd-40 works because it is magic. paint thinner and lighter fluid might also work.
My Blog

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
i like the WD-40 cause then you can light it and set your guitar on fire. after you have put so much effort into removing the stickers
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
I'm pretty sure 5 pictures doesn't count as pic heavy.

What did you use to scrape off the stickers? Wouldn't paper towel (specificly the shittier varieties) leave nasty little paper chunks in that's left of the stickers?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
since when is 3 pics pic heavy???

anyways, good tutorial, I still think there should be a sticky with links to all tuts!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by woodenbandman
ever had problems with unsightly stickers all over your guitar?

i know i have.

Hahahahaha, I think i pissed myself at that
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Will: i will add some more pics, like of the actual removing a sticker, etc.

for the difficult stuff i used a plastic spoon, but if you can lift it up with your fingernail most will pull easily off.

i haven't actually finished the pickguard as i don't want WD-40 on the strings. i am going to change them when i get my allen wrenches, as i need to re-calibrate for heavier .10 guage strings.

so when my mom's baby fadda get's off his duff and goes to work on monday to get the allen wrenches, i can't do it. i just don't fancy warping my neck. maybe i can get some more allens somewhere.

EDIT:

the paper towels were of high quality, so very rarely would they leave marks. they were wet, also.
My Blog

Quote by woodenbandman

i haven't actually finished the pickguard as i don't want WD-40 on the strings.

...just take the strings off?
nice guide man, kudos
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by mr_hankey
...just take the strings off?

+1

In my opinion, it kind of makes you loose credibility if you won't even take your strings off if you're doing a tutorial.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i don;t have the proper allen wrench to loosen the truss rod while i am cleaning it. i want least of all for this thing to warp, as it is older than i am. not to mention i will need it anyway for adjusting the action, so why not wait to walk before i run, mmmkay?

further, i want to take the pickups out so that i don't ruin those with my WD-40. i personally don't want to ruin pickups on a vintage guitar as a learining experience.
My Blog

lawl. Ok I honestly have no respect for you now.

Any "up and coming luthier" should know that a truss rod won't go wonky after a week, or a couple months even assuming your not runnign around outside without strings. And Wd-40 really isn't much of a good idea, its flammable and leaves an oily residue. Goo gone is much more effective and its actually meant to take sticker goo off, not lubricate mechanical parts.

Btw even if its vintage, more often or not, it probably isn't worth anything now.
Quote by kaplac
lawl. Ok I honestly have no respect for you now.

Any "up and coming luthier" should know that a truss rod won't go wonky after a week, or a couple months even assuming your not runnign around outside without strings. And Wd-40 really isn't much of a good idea, its flammable and leaves an oily residue. Goo gone is much more effective and its actually meant to take sticker goo off, not lubricate mechanical parts.

Btw even if its vintage, more often or not, it probably isn't worth anything now.

kaplac>woodenbandman
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
I have heard people who hve had strings off overnight and warped their necks.

and i didn't let the wd-40 dry on the guitar: i wiped it off. you are perfectly within your right to suggest that something else also works. WD-40 works for me, and when it dries it will not catch fire. and seeing that you wipe it off, it shouldn't be a problem.

and then wipe it off,

further, since i said that you should let the WD-40 set, and i don't want lubricant inside the pickups. if Zakk Wylde can ruin his EMGs with sweat, i would hate to see an industrial lubricant inside my pickups.

you should have considered more closely.

and, kaplac: i don't need your respect. i ain't one of those kids that CUTS THEMSELVES when i think people don't understand me.
My Blog

Quote by TheDev01dOne
Here in Aus we use eucalyptus oil for removing 'sticker goo'. It's usually better to use a rag then paper towel though 'cos the paper towel tends to break up and stick to the goo.

+1. It smells good too xD
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
huh. i have lots of eucalyptus trees around here in San Francisco, but i think they smell like pee. interesting though, ill keep that in mind.
My Blog