Page 1 of 2
Hey....

I made this thread for one reason...I have reached a breaking point and am about to snap.

I have been trying to form a band for about forever and I have reached one conclusion....people SUCK. I can't find anybody, ANYWHERE, that seems to have enough dedication and desire to actually get something started.

It's always the same story....

"Hey I can't play today. I have homework."

"Hey I can't play today. They called me in for work...I have no idea when I am getting off either so I'll call you some other time."

"Yeah, I know we had plans but my girlfriend doesn't want me to go." (Yes, I have heard this one way too many times.)

Or my absolute favorite......

"You have reached the voice mailbox of....."

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody out there is having similar problems. Or better yet, if you are in a band that you are happy with...HOW DID YOU DO IT!!! I am almost convinced that there is some dark, twisted magic behind all of this.......
YES! ME TOO! I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT! or drummers who complain about taking their set places but dont want to have practice at their house!
Quote by epiphonist13
YES! ME TOO! I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT! or drummers who complain about taking their set places but dont want to have practice at their house!

zing!

drummers are lazy ****s
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Quote by ComplistiK
Hey....

I made this thread for one reason...I have reached a breaking point and am about to snap.

I have been trying to form a band for about forever and I have reached one conclusion....people SUCK. I can't find anybody, ANYWHERE, that seems to have enough dedication and desire to actually get something started.

It's always the same story....

"Hey I can't play today. I have homework."

"Hey I can't play today. They called me in for work...I have no idea when I am getting off either so I'll call you some other time."

"Yeah, I know we had plans but my girlfriend doesn't want me to go." (Yes, I have heard this one way too many times.)

Or my absolute favorite......

"You have reached the voice mailbox of....."

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody out there is having similar problems. Or better yet, if you are in a band that you are happy with...HOW DID YOU DO IT!!! I am almost convinced that there is some dark, twisted magic behind all of this.......

Wow my life all over again. I've heard every single one of those. Especially the girlfriend one. I got this one last week: "Im at WalMart and I don't know when I'll be done. Then I have (notice the word 'have') to hang out with my girlfriend."
...bitch whipped.
Anyways. I still don't have the band together. Come to riverside, california and we will make a band lol.
well i have most those problems...except everybody in my band doesnt have a job so they are always willing to practice...and our bassist isnt very good. we are hoping he improves with time...ive went through all that so many times. but finally i found people who are dedicated(except our bassist). our band is most likely not gonna last long.
hey, I hear ya. I would love to start a band but I can tell there is just no one around who has the dedication (or the time) to start a band.

Everyone wants to be in a band.
Nobody knows how hard it is though.

maybe when I get to college i can find enough people willing to skip class..
my teacher and i both have this problem.
he's completely given up on other people, so he bought drums and a bass, and now he's writing everything by himself. when he's done, he's just gona find a band to play it with.
good idea, but tons of work.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
yea man im in a band and we try to practice every saturday but dude it doesnt always work out because either some1 cant make it or watever but **** it man because we still kick ass in our shows
Yeah it is hard. It took me a long time to find some people that share the same musical tastes and have dedication.

Honestly, the people that aren't dedicated just expect a free ride to "fame" or whatever, they are not willing to work hard at all.

Me, my drummer and 2nd guitarist work full time, and go to school.
We really want to be in a band, so we practice every sunday at 6 in the morning. It's the only time we all have free.
Thankfully my parents let me practice in their restaurant

It is hard, just look around for some hard workers.

I think that you should have a talk with your band members,
if they're not willing to put forward an effort (just showing up, which isn't too hard)
than they really shouldn't be in a band.

If you want to become something, you're only going to have one shot at it, while your young.
I tell my girlfriend that the bands more important than her. Shitt.
Hah,
well good luck dude, like I said, have a talk with your band mates about it.
If things continue how they are, consider some lineup changes in the future..

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Jesus, this makes me kind of wish you guys all lived in my neighborhood. I just glad there are other guys wasting their lives away just like me.

If I win the lottery I'll move in next door to all of you.
I have noticed we all have the same problem. It must be a guitarist thing. People suck. Well put.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
i see nothing wrong with the first too excuses. i mean if you have to work or you have to sudy then thats something you have to do. get over it. the one about the girlfriend is kinda lame though.
Go solo. People DO suck.

that aside, work even harder than you are already, and make your own circumstances. The people ARE out there, they just need finding (assuming you don't live in a small village)
I was in a band but my other members ****ing left and they all formed this new band.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Nick_
That's basically a nicer way of firing you.

Ha. Yeah I know but we had musical differences and barely did anything anyway.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
That's the spirit! It's all their fault, right?

Show them up by finding a new band and doing better.
it's a right bastard.

Unfortunately I happen to be a nasty piece of work when I want something done, and a ****ing great songwriter, so I can usually get my way.

It doesn't stop me from being the only guy to put the work in.

Come on, I make demos of songs, tabs and lyrics, but the guys still don't learn em. ****s.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i see nothing wrong with the first too excuses. i mean if you have to work or you have to sudy then thats something you have to do. get over it. the one about the girlfriend is kinda lame though.

Actually there is something wrong with the first two. Ok, so you have homework. If you had some ****ing desire...You would go home, do you're homework, and the call up everybody and say you were ready to go. That being said, a respectable band would have practices late enough in the evening for you to get your homework done, but not too late as to where you would have to be home right away. If you can't play because of homework on occasion, that's fine...But reschedule. And if you can't practice because you have too much homework all the time, don't be in my band...You just don't have the time.

The one where the band calls the band mate up to confirm for practice as he has to work is fine. But, YOU MUST RESCHEDULE. Just saying I'll call you some other time doesn't cut it. In fact, you need to call ahead of time to cancel. You can't wait for your band to call you. Unless you are an ER Doctor, you have time to call us up and reschedule. THAT BEING SAID, once again a respectable band and it's band members would set up practice dates according to everyone's work schedule. Everyone in the band needs to be available and off work on these days. I believe in order for a band to get tight and serious, you need to practice AT LEAST two days a week. Everybody can get two days off, dontcha think?

And for those of you who work full-time AND go to school, I respect you because that is very difficult and I wish you the best...But don't be in my band....You just don't have the time.
I was in this trio band thing with my brother, and this other crazy dude. We'd could pretty much all sing and we'd switch around what we played, like bass one time or maybe keyboard. We worked amazingly well together; I would just start goofin around while they were talking, they heard it and joined right in and we played the same piece for liked 30 minutes and this happened all the time. We were all very dedicated. We all had very close to the same tastes and opinions about music. We were good friends. We all had long blonde hair. We were gaining in fame around the small city... but then me n' my family moved, and I doubt we'll ever find someone to work so well with.
The Only member of the "I hate people with huge sigs club." Don't PM me to join.
Quote by ComplistiK
I believe in order for a band to get tight and serious, you need to practice AT LEAST two days a week.

True words my friend, true words

if you hae the proper stuff to record on your computer theres LOADS o people just on this website that would be in a band type thing with you, although it is not the same i know it is an alternative to moving
Quote by El Penguino
True words my friend, true words

if you hae the proper stuff to record on your computer theres LOADS o people just on this website that would be in a band type thing with you, although it is not the same i know it is an alternative to moving

Yeah, I know man. I wish I had all that stuff to record on my computer with. I would love to get some kind of online band project going. I think that would be kind of fun to try out.

Like, your drummer lives in Vegas, your bassist lives in London. LOL

Freakin computers, man....
Ugh **** I know exactly what you mean. I find it so frustrating being really dedicated to it and ready to drop everything to practice to find other people won't do the same.
As such I've pretty much given up trying to find one for the time being and just started writing my own stuff and recording everything on my own, it is a lot of work though.
I'm hoping I'll find a serious band when I get to Uni.
i have a worse problem than all of you. ive been wanting to start a band for ages and i even gave up my job to get better on guitar, but i dont know anyone who even plays an instrument let alone someone who wants to be in a band! thats right - not one person. i think im gonna have to ask random people in the street if they play an instrument or something. its hopeless. ive considered giving up countless times but my drive to achieve my dream is high so im not giving up all hope. hey if anyone lives near me and want to start a band - IM me on msn or send me a private message on here or something xxx
Man, this sucks...No one has posted yet about a band they are happy with.

It kind of makes me wonder....Maybe we're the problem? Maybe it's us that's doing something wrong. Like I have seen some of my friends bands...

They play shows...They have demo's....And....I guess they are okay...

They aren't masters of the universe with their instruments or anything but what gets me is that if I were in a a band with my kind of music I KNOW my band would blow them out of the water...But I have no room to talk......Kind of sucks....
-O
(~/
~~~DUCK!!!!
Last summer I was in a three piece acoustic indie kind of band (2 acoustic guitars and a bassist) We played like 10 ten shows or something over the a few months and started to get some credibility, but one of the bands we used to play alot with and were good friends with took our rythm guitarist/lead singer and turned him into a bassist! Ugh, then we decided to get a drummed and I would starting doing leada singing and whatever but it just kind of feel apart cause our bassist was a dipshit and always said he couldnt come and was not commited at all. Plus the drummer had been doing drugs all summer so he was like just ****ed up sometimes.. weird shit.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
My band just broke up like 3 weeks ago. It was me and my best friend in the world, we've know each other since we were 4 were both 17 now, we started the band about a year and a half ago. We were both very serious about the band and the rest of the band was aswell. Well me and me good friend who will call Nick, cause that's his name, wrote everything for the band I did bass and guitar he did lyrics and drums. Everything was going great I decided to start going to high school online so i had more time to focus on music. Then an evil factor came into play, he got a girlfriend which is nothing new we both went threw our share of women but this one was different. He all of a sudden started to stop swearing, drinking as much, and he cut his hair. Now this was fine with me because we still jammed 3 times a week. Then she told him to get a job which was still fine with me but we went from 3 times a week to maybe 1 every two weeks. Well after a time where we went a month and a half of not jammin and are bassist quit, me and Nick got to together and started to jam then his girlfriend came over and watched us for a while. She eventually turned off my amp and said "I think the song should have you know more power... one of those power chords.". I just looked at her and said "Kelsey this is funk song, my other songs use power chords not this one your suppose to get funky and dance with it." She stood there for a while then looked at Nick and he says "Well I agree with her" That was it I just looked over at them and said "Dude **** you," looked at kelsey "Your just like Yoko your breakin up the ****in band and im not letting it get that far, Nick get the **** out of my house and get a new ****in band" Damn that sucked lost my best friend and my band because of some chick.

and ComplstiK were not the problem people just arent putting enough effort into it and they think your a freak if all you think about is music, but that's what you need if your going to be in a band
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
My band just broke up like 3 weeks ago. It was me and my best friend in the world, we've know each other since we were 4 were both 17 now, we started the band about a year and a half ago. We were both very serious about the band and the rest of the band was aswell. Well me and me good friend who will call Nick, cause that's his name, wrote everything for the band I did bass and guitar he did lyrics and drums. Everything was going great I decided to start going to high school online so i had more time to focus on music. Then an evil factor came into play, he got a girlfriend which is nothing new we both went threw our share of women but this one was different. He all of a sudden started to stop swearing, drinking as much, and he cut his hair. Now this was fine with me because we still jammed 3 times a week. Then she told him to get a job which was still fine with me but we went from 3 times a week to maybe 1 every two weeks. Well after a time where we went a month and a half of not jammin and are bassist quit, me and Nick got to together and started to jam then his girlfriend came over and watched us for a while. She eventually turned off my amp and said "I think the song should have you know more power... one of those power chords.". I just looked at her and said "Kelsey this is funk song, my other songs use power chords not this one your suppose to get funky and dance with it." She stood there for a while then looked at Nick and he says "Well I agree with her" That was it I just looked over at them and said "Dude **** you," looked at kelsey "Your just like Yoko your breakin up the ****in band and im not letting it get that far, Nick get the **** out of my house and get a new ****in band" Damn that sucked lost my best friend and my band because of some chick.

and ComplstiK were not the problem people just arent putting enough effort into it and they think your a freak if all you think about is music, but that's what you need if your going to be in a band

^ wow.... now thats a lot of information to take in lol!! Yeah i kinda used to be like that kelsey chick, but only cos my ex boyfriend's band SUCKED. but hey, sorry for your loss dude...
Yeah, but can you blame people for having other things to do with their lives. Like honestly, work comes first because if you don't go to work, then you get fired. School is also up there on the priorities because doing well in school is how you make something of yourself in life.
Lastly though, music is a hobby. It's absolutely great and playing with otheres is one of the best things in the world you can do, but seriously people have lives.
Can you really blame them?
Quote by falloutgirl_17
^ wow.... now thats a lot of information to take in lol!! Yeah i kinda used to be like that kelsey chick, but only cos my ex boyfriend's band SUCKED. but hey, sorry for your loss dude...

Well I would have been fine with it but she didn't even know anything about music and didn't even play an instrument and to say that something I wrote wasn't right was just not cool

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Well I would have been fine with it but she didn't even know anything about music and didn't even play an instrument and to say that something I wrote wasn't right was just not cool

yeah you're right. i actually knew my ex's band sucked cos im musical myself. i hate people who just judge things without even knowing anything about it themselves. if your best friend was truely your best friend, he wouldnt let some stupid girl get in the way of things - unless the phrase "love is blind" is true in this case?....
dont know what to say about love being blind he chose her of the band and respect him for that I think it's lame that he would do that after we spent about a year and a half working on it and he threw it away for some chick he was going out with for like 3 months.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
I'm happy with my band... we're in a position where we can get stuff done even if someone isn't there. We can write stuff with just two of us, and work on songs and stuff without people. And when we do get together its all cool and we just practise our stuff.
Wow and i thought my band had problems. After reading all these posts im pretty grateful. My bands problems are:

Bass player-Musical genius but, lives to far away. Parents dont like the band.

2nd guitarist-Dad sits in on rehersaels but doesnt know anyhting about music. Than he critisises everything the band does. But not anything his son does. Wants the band to revolve around him and his son.

Drummer-in to differant music than the rest of us. Not very good.

But, god compared to these problems, i feel like im in a supergroup.
Hey sound_garden_x, where do you live?

Yeah and to Ozzwald's statement. I totally agree with you. People have lives and people have other things to do, but in other posts I said that a band needs to practice together at least two times a week. If you actually think about it, two times a week isn't shit and is completely reasonable.

I guess it kind of breaks down to what the bands goals are. If everybody just gets together and play covers and stuff and doesn't make their own music and they just hang out, then maybe once a month is good for a band like that.

I mean for me, I just want to play my music, on a stage, in front of people, and I want them
to dig it.
-O
(~/
~~~DUCK!!!!
Page 1 of 2