Should your neck/mid pups match or at least be similar in a S/S/S Strat?

Reason I am asking is since everyone has different options on pups and how they make your Strat sound, why not put one style in the neck and another totally different one in the middle? For example, put a hot one in the neck, like a Texas Special or Tex-Mex, and then a Vintage Noiselss in the middle. Would something like that work as long as you only use one pup at a time?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
it'll work no matter what you put in...its just a question of the tonality you are looking for. but as function properly and work, as long as you do the electronics correctly it will
a p-up is a p-up. alone it would sound like that pickup alone, mixed it would be just a mixture of both.
they dont need to. more vintage style strats have the neck and mid pup real close in output tho.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
put a hot one in the middle, it'll make a huge tone difference. a good one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^+1

the neck is usually reserved for the deep clean , vintage tone. the neck is the bass spot.

the middle, hotter, i like a texas special, or a dimarzio Virtual vintage, stacked heavy blues, because it runs silent.

in the bridge, i went with a hot rails, something high treble, high output.

anyway, some match up better than others. but most will blend fine.

u just need to adjust pup heights to get a smooth volume click over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm a fan of matched sets - either way you go, you're limiting your options. The only way to get a true variety of sounds is to get more guitars
Hi, I'm Peter
^haha, i was just thinking the same thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Dirk Gently
I'm a fan of matched sets - either way you go, you're limiting your options. The only way to get a true variety of sounds is to get more guitars

yeah I agree with that.

As for me I like the standard strat pickups anyway.
Well I can't afford too many guitars, so this Strat will have to have different styles of pups.

Right now, I have a Vintage Noiseless in the neck, a stock pup in the middle, and a SD JB jr in the bridge. Looks like I will look for something hot to put in the middle, maybe a Texas Special or a Tex-Mex pup, or something similar.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
what tone are u looking for? what do u want to play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Looking for something that covers everything but metal. Want at least one pup that provides traditional Strat sound, and a bridge that can do distortion for classic and hard rock fine, but that leaves one other pup, which is the last of my stock pups and rather than having it be very similar to the noiseless one in the neck, looking for something that will give me a different sound/tone than the other two.

And RadioMuse, could you explain more?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
The Vintage noisless in the neck should provide most of your 'stadard' Strat sounds. The neck or neck-mid combo IMO is what I think a Strat should sound like.

I would be careful about mixing the p'ups too much unless all you want is one p'up at a time. Unless you wire in some kind of blend pot help blend the different kinds of p'ups.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at Jan 26, 2007,
ok then, im going to suggest the dimarzio stacked Vv heavy blues again.

i love that pickup in my MIMs mid. a full tone. hot but not too much treble, noiseless because it's a mini bucker.
it kicks my hot rails ass. and i was a huge SD fan forever.

i use it for everything hotter than my dark Ymalm in the neck and thicker than my HR bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hmm...would the Heavy Blues sound too similar to my current bridge pup of a JB jr?

And ya, I would expect that if I mix pups like this, I won't be playing in the 2 or 4 position, only 1/3/5 since they all have different sounds.

I can always leave my current stock mid pup or get another vintage noiseless, but from an outsiders point of view, and my own weird logic, if I get the distortion I want from my bridge pup and the vintage Strat sound from my neck pup, why not try something totally different in the middle? But before I went ahead and did this, wanted to know if there was a reason not to, hence my original question.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
there is no reason not to.

i dont think it will sound similar to the JB. i find the jb to have way more treble. its hot but well balanced.

if u find ur not using the middle pup. and want a change, then id say go for a change.
not saying would have to be this one of course. tone is subjective.

maybe there is a clip on the dimarzio site.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you don't plan on ever mixing p'ups then buying stacked might be the best bet for you. I would swap out the 5-way for a 3-way when you replace everything. It will make it easier visually to see what gear you are in.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Anyone else care to chime in?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp