I know that a few lessons have been posted on how to properly hold a guitar, but a lot of aspects are still unclear to me. I am aware that there are two ways of positioning the left hand (the classical position and the blues/string bending position). I am trying to learn to play everything as efficiently and strain-free as possible, so I would like to know the proper technique for both positions (esp. the classical position).

When I play guitar now, my thumb just barely protudes out from the neck, and I usually keep it in line with my index finger. The knuckle of my index finger (on the palm side) rests on the edge of the neck, where the fret wires end. Sometimes I rest the big crease on my palm against the edge. I never rest the whole length of my hand against the edge of the fretboard (i.e. I never let the backs of all four knuckles touch the edge) Generally, it is only the back of the index finger's knuckle.

Anyway, just a little help for a newbie. Thanks a lot.
It really depends on what you are playing. If you are playing something with a large stretch, then your thumb should be in center of the neck. That is the most efficient way. If im doing chording on the top strings (thinnest) i will hang my thumb over the top.
Not Enough AssHatery
well let's say I wanted to (*shivers*) shred, or basically play some technical fast-paced piece, I would use the classical method. Does anyone know the correct form for that? I've been told that the thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck, inline with the middle finger. The only problem is, I find that impossible to do. Any help?
Quote by supersaianGohan
well let's say I wanted to (*shivers*) shred, or basically play some technical fast-paced piece, I would use the classical method. Does anyone know the correct form for that? I've been told that the thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck, inline with the middle finger. The only problem is, I find that impossible to do. Any help?

there's no correct way, whateveer feel confortable for you is ok, it all comes naturally, for example, if you do a large stretch, you thumb automatically will move to the middle of the neck (at least it happens to me)