I live in England where the climate spends 9 months of the year being sh^t!

Most really great bands from my country play more sombre music e.g Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis etc...

Do you think that the weather has anything to do with this?

I mean if I lived in Greece I cant imagine writing songs about doom and gloom...
Last edited by Qoasis at Jan 26, 2007,
nope.
the england weather is totally depressing and still you got the beatles, rolling stones, iron maiden, judas priest... and thats music that's the inverse of depression.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

umm.. i can barely play guitar when i have cold fingers. I have to wait like 10 minutes before my fingers warm up from being outside here in Colorado
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by urik
nope.
the england weather is totally depressing and still you got the beatles, rolling stones, iron maiden, judas priest... and thats music that's the inverse of depression.

okay, the I'll give you the Beatles, but the Stones, Iron Maiden - its not exactly the Beach Boys or RHCP - dont get me wrong I think our music shit hot just wondering why?
Quote by urik
nope.

The beatles were the only one from that group that palyed happy music. Go listen to Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones and The Longest Day br Iron Maiden.

Black Sabbath came from an industrial, working class part of England, and that's where the inspiration for their music came from. Hair bands all came from the sunset strip where everything is hookers, booze, and parties. I'd say yes, it impacts it, but only if it's an very happy or very sad environment, rain is not enough to make someone want to write sad music.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jan 26, 2007,
Quote by Carnivean
umm.. i can barely play guitar when i have cold fingers. I have to wait like 10 minutes before my fingers warm up from being outside here in Colorado

okay its 1am here in the midlands and about -2 whats the temp where you are then?
Quote by Dæmönika
One of my pet peeves is the misuse of affect/effect.

But to answer you, no, climate doesn't affect music.

fair play I typed "affect" first but then changed it, should have gone with my gut instinct.

By the way this isn't the English Language forum...
Actually a good question. Though I do now Jordanian black metal bands, and ABBA did come from Scandinavia, so...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Well, look at the music that comes from Norway and whatnot... :|
My God, it's full of stars!
I definetly think climate of being a factor in what kind of music a band plays. Scandinavia being an example, the black metal bands that came from there play gloomy cold music which is pretty much the climate of scandinavia. Another example could be one of the most sombre bands in america, Agalloch, who hail from Portland, Oregon where it rains constantly.
Or like the hardcore scene in Massachusetts, where everything sucks balls.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by laffyjam
I definetly think climate of being a factor in what kind of music a band plays. Scandinavia being an example, the black metal bands that came from there play gloomy cold music which is pretty much the climate of scandinavia. Another example could be one of the most sombre bands in america, Agalloch, who hail from Portland, Oregon where it rains constantly.

Climate doesn't matter unless it's so cold all the time you can only strum. And if it is that cold I suggest you move.

It's more of a coincidence and people like to make conncetions, even if they are random.

For example, using the quote above, what if all the black metal bands came from [poor european east state]? Then you'd say "ah, it's because they're so poor there"

I'm too drunk and tired to be coherent, but atleast I spell nicely. It's my stength.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Climate doesn't matter unless it's so cold all the time you can only strum. And if it is that cold I suggest you move.

It's more of a coincidence and people like to make conncetions, even if they are random.

For example, using the quote above, what if all the black metal bands came from [poor european east state]? Then you'd say "ah, it's because they're so poor there"

I'm too drunk and tired to be coherent, but atleast I spell nicely. It's my stength.

That's not true at all... It's been proven and observed by repeated studies that climate affects the mood of an individual, and such a change in mood would obviously show in the music being composed.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
That's not true at all... It's been proven and observed by repeated studies that climate affects the mood of an individual, and such a change in mood would obviously show in the music being composed.

So why is Scotland's most famous musical band The Proclaimers? They're so fucking jolly.
Dudes...

A-Ha are Norwegian.

Abba are Swedish.

I think that ABBA pic is probably the most hideous ever posted in the Pit, even beating whatever Cas posted that got him banned.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Gman400
Or like the hardcore scene in Massachusetts, where everything sucks balls.

Talk about it....

Cant find a good blues bassist or drummer for the life of me
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
Quote by Dreadnought

So howcome there are a so many, maybe hundreds of bands playing different music genres in any given country (not including the vatican)?

I think the weather may have an effect, but it's limited. You don't sit down and write a song and go "shit it's raining, oh well... *writes sad song*". But yeah, maybe some people find iinspriation in the weather...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well, in Australia we've got everything form Missy Higgins, John Butler Trio, The Butterfly Effect, Ac/DC (well, kind of)...
Go figure
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Obviously climate isn't the only variable in songwriting, but songs would be much different if the weather was always amazing than if the weather was always terrible.
i dont think its weather, i think its the regions climate. theres a difference. weather would be like, a thunderstorm in oklahoma...climate would be like the constant coldness in Scandinavia (Norway, Finland, Sweeden, Denmark etc). This has to have somewhat of an affect on the individuals living in that area, which will then affect the music those indivduals make. If you grow up in the gloomy, cold, black foothills of Norway, most likely, you'll have some darker traits. That or you will associate hapiness with darker things. Now take say the sunset strip glam metal scene (aka shit). Anyway, its quite nice on the sunset strip (when it comes to the overall climate), this leads to people generally being in a cheery mood, which leads to there over indulgence, which is basicaly what 90% of all glam metal songs are about.

Now, I'm not saying everyone (from a musician standpoint) in Scandinavia is like Gorgoroth, and I'm not saying everyone (once again from a musicians standpoint) on the Sunset Strip is like Motley Crue, however, the climate of a region greatly impacts the culture, which, inevitably will affect the people in someway, which will somewhat dictates as to how their music sounds.

Now, on the topic of say a Black Metal (its so easy to pick on these guys) band in like Louisiana, they don't neccesarily relate the feelings of gloom and doom in the way that their idols do. However, they still probably see it in other parts of there region (ie the massive amounts of humidity or the swamps).
yeh definitely, i was thinking about this the other day. if you go round the equator where its always hot you get genres like reggae that are totally laid back and daze-like, just like you feel on really hot days. you also get stuff like samba and all that Latin stuff which his so festive and up beat probly due to the nice weather all the time.

on the other hand, in the really cold places like people have been talking about (eg Norway and whatnot) i think cos its soooo cold alll the time and pretty much dark half the year people get tired of watching pr0n and want something to get them out of hibernation, so silly extreme genres like war metal and all that gargoyle metal stuff is born.

As for the Radioheads and Cures of the UK, the constant rain and overcast skies would probly get to most people eventually.
Quote by guitar?
its more of the scene than the weather

Yeah thats what i was gonna say. However, i live in WA were it rains 24/7 so i usually get stuck inside playing guitar. I guess weather could help you improve in that sense. I mean how many major bands do u see coming out of mexico, hawaii, etc? I cant think of any, probably cuz its warm, sunny and everyone is outside.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by laffyjam

It's not that cold in here