The Mick Jones Guidebook Volume 1:
How to write a guitar solo!

Howdy.

Want to write a kickass solo for your brand new punk song, but can’t get outside of your pentatonic box and out of tune bends?

You’ve come to the write (!) place. Mick Jones, guitar player extraordinaire will show you how easy it can be to write something you never thought you’d be capable of.

The actual technique requires a bit of practice and luck - you may not have a solo idea in your head, but fear not… it can be done.

The Technique:

1.) Work out, and then play your backing track several times over
2.) Get out your parents’ old 1970’s tape recorder that you used to play around with when you were shorter than Glenn Danzig.
3.) Hum a guitar solo
4.) Have a go at working it out.
5.) Play it, and then experiment with adding bits on or changing it around

The Tips:

1. Mix up speeds - alternate between fast and slow phrases. This is much like a proper piece of writing in which a balanced combination of short and long sentences are used.

2. Give your solo an “orgasm point”. The solo is in many ways the pinnacle of the song in terms of energy and melody, so give it a climatic high that drives the song. Check out Kill the poor.

3. Work out the song’s vocal melody. It’s often a good idea to incorporate part of the melody into the solo, from as little as two or three notes. Do not overuse this though, sticking to JUST the vocal melody is somewhat bland. Spice it up a little.

4. Although an awesome is often created spontaneously, it can take hours, days and weeks to tinker with it.

5. If you get stuck, come back later with a clear mind and a few empty beer cans. Focus.

6. Keep your scale positions in mind, it is beneficial to jot these down first and stuff, obviously. It will help you stay in key and transribe your hum.

7. Span several octaves. Don’t stick to just one, but don’t go overboard by using too much range (too much is enough to keep Shirley Bassey happy). Two to three is best.

8. Self-control. Less is often more, an important listening

9.Backing Track - consider the chords, and their role and relation to the scale and song. If you have rudimentary theory down, think, “would X lick work well over the this chord?” If the answer is, I dunno, try it out.

Must-listen to guide:
The Clash - Complete Control
Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor
Slaughter & the Dogs - Situations
New York Dolls - Subway Train
New York Dolls - Lookin’ for a Kiss
Rancid - Listed MIA
Heartbreakers - Born to Lose
Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer
The Damned - Love Song
**** Sparrer - I got your number

And, of course, the ultimate… Dead Kennedys - Pull my Strings
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jan 27, 2007,
i like how you say to come back with empty beer cans (assuming you drank a few beers) and a CLEAR HEAD.

and you tell them to FOCUS.

interesting...
brian what was that one thread you did with the laws of guitar playing? it was like laws of germany or something...i don't remember...

Edit: nvm i found it.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by the glue man
You should make this a lesson on the site's Guitarist Lesson or whatever it's called. Unless it's there already, I'm not gonna look.

No, I already thought of that, but I that'd be a pretty bad idea because you'd just get kids going "omg! tEh ShReDdOrZzZ" and so on.

I won't bother doing any of that stuff, and should I ever do it'd need a major rewrite.

I wish I had a video camera so that I could make a tutorial video and put it on youtube... awesome!

Quote by original=punk
i like how you say to come back with empty beer cans (assuming you drank a few beers) and a CLEAR HEAD.

and you tell them to FOCUS.

interesting...

Have we a \m/xXx!sXer!XxX\m/ amongst our ranks?

Does 2 beers get you too drunk to play guitar?

interesting...
not too drunk, but you sure as hell wont have a clear head. especially if you want to write a solo, hell EVERYTHING sounds good when your drinking.
One or two drinks will get you into a better, chilled out state of mind. It's only when you go furthet than that that it'll start inhibiting creativity.
meh, i just dont drink, \m/xXx!sXer!XxX\m/ i might be, im not even offended at that, i laughed my ass off when i saw that.

and i liked the tips, dont get me wrong there. they helped, i just noticed something i thought was a little strange so i inquired.
ha thats cool ill have to try that some time
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
What you're saying is completely valid and helpful, Brian.

But, Mick picked up many of his licks from Mick Ronson, who played with Bowie and Mott the Hoople, the latter being a HUGE influence on the Clash.
Listen to Ronson's work with those bands and his solo stuff, and I think you'll hear it.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Good tips I've gotta keep trying new stuff cause I'm too much of a pentatonic ***** right now. BTW one of the songs thats been a big influence on my solos and an excellent example of a good rock solo is "My Sharona" I know its not punk, but the solo in that song is super melodic and catchy(as well as a bit random, not many 70's/80's pop songs randomly have one of the greatest solos ever in them) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFBxgCQnfI
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I wish I had a video camera so that I could make a tutorial video and put it on youtube... awesome!

You go to a university and you're studying recording right? Are there any film students there? Cause if you've got some film students all you gotta do is go and sex one of em up and borrow their camera. Maybe offer to do some music for them if sexing them up doesn't work.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Good tips I've gotta keep trying new stuff cause I'm too much of a pentatonic ***** right now. BTW one of the songs thats been a big influence on my solos and an excellent example of a good rock solo is "My Sharona" I know its not punk, but the solo in that song is super melodic and catchy(as well as a bit random, not many 70's/80's pop songs randomly have one of the greatest solos ever in them) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFBxgCQnfI

You go to a university and you're studying recording right? Are there any film students there? Cause if you've got some film students all you gotta do is go and sex one of em up and borrow their camera. Maybe offer to do some music for them if sexing them up doesn't work.

The singer in my band could probably film me and edit it up, he's doing film studies.

Unfortunately, no-one wants to sex me up down here, because I've only been here 4 months, and it takes over a year for people to actually accept my larger-than-life personality.

It's also bad because the girls down here all seem to want real men, not shy sensitive people like me. If I was jack the lad I could have gotten laid twice in the past month.

As for the guitar licks, you pick these up subconsciously espoecially when humming solos. But Ronson' less is more ethic is something to go by.
Haha, it looks like orginal=punk didn't like my suggestion of having a few beers before playing.

Nothing wrong with a few beers, just don't go overboard or you'll end up playing formulaic crap like pretty much every scottish street punk band ever.
Playing guitar after drinking is so much more fun.

the question is......

why WOULDN'T you drink before you play guitar?

It's Rock n' Roll ain't it?
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present