Okay, so I've only been "playing" a few days, so I'm pretty much nowhere at the moment. I've been reading some of the lessons on here and they have helped me a bit.

What I normally do is sit here repeating the same 10 notes to make a tune, that impresses noone but me, probably.

I also do some picking exercises to I'm getting a bit quicker at that.

I'm really, really, terribly bad at changing chord while "playing" a song, so yeah, I'm guessing that's normal for beginners? Don't think I'm exaggerating when I say terrible.

So when I'm attempting to play a song, should I be looking at my right hand or left? Picking/strumming hand or Fretboard Hand?

I'm tending to look a lot more at my picking/strumming hand at the moment, I can't help but feel that's wrong so I just wanted some pro to come tell me so.

I'm just really slow either way, haha.

Another question, I have 2 Guitars. An electric, peavey raptor, and some acoustic one, haha. Which should I play more often? Or at all? Or what? Bearing in mind I'm a moron with a guitar at the moment.

Anyway, if anyone has anything to say that might help at all I would welcome that.

Thanks for your time =]
Start out by learning some basic chords and learn how to switch between them.

Where to look: your audience. You shouldn't have to look at what you're doing.

Play whichever guitar is HARDER to play until you become somewhat proficient. It is akin to a baseball player practicing by swinging a heavy bat.
Quote by Darkfly
I'm really, really, terribly bad at changing chord while "playing" a song, so yeah, I'm guessing that's normal for beginners? Don't think I'm exaggerating when I say terrible.

Yes, it's normal. Just practice the changes beforehand - if you need to change from C to G, for example, sit there strumming a C chord, then change to G, then back to C, etc. Do it as slowly as you need to to build up accuracy - it should be eventually become second nature to put your fingers in the right places for common chords.

Quote by Darkfly
So when I'm attempting to play a song, should I be looking at my right hand or left? Picking/strumming hand or Fretboard Hand?

I'm tending to look a lot more at my picking/strumming hand at the moment, I can't help but feel that's wrong so I just wanted some pro to come tell me so.

Whatever you need to. There's no right or wrong answer to that, although I suspect that most guitarists look at their fretting hand (and that some people would contend that there is a wrong answer ). Once you get the picking/strumming pattern down it's the sort of thing you can do instinctively/from muscle memory rather than consciously (string skipping etc aside). That said, you can do the same thing with your fretting hand - for simple songs I don't really need to look at the guitar. You'll get there.

Quote by Darkfly
Another question, I have 2 Guitars. An electric, peavey raptor, and some acoustic one, haha. Which should I play more often? Or at all? Or what? Bearing in mind I'm a moron with a guitar at the moment.

Depends. The two have a unique skillset. If you want to play acoustic music, play the acoustic. If you want to play rock, electric blues/jazz etc play the electric. Some people will tell you to play the acoustic because it's harder and then you'll find the electric easier, which is probably a good tip for speed and strength building exercises, but there are some things you might want to learn to do on an electric that you can't really do on an acoustic and vice versa.
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 26, 2007,
tbh you're better off not looking at your hands at all

but while you're working on developing muscle memory and coordination it's alright.
Thanks a lot for the quick responses. This'll help a lot.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions Scrilly, appreciate it =]
Well, I can confirm the Acoustic is way, way harder to play. IT HURTS!

The electric is a /lot/ more comfortable.

Now you're gonna say play the acoustic aren't you?
Quote by Darkfly
Now you're gonna say play the acoustic aren't you?
For getting callouses, you can play the easier guitar. But once your get those callouses (you'll know), you should do a fair amount of playing the acoustic.
Thanks a lot =]

How long will it take? I practice about 4 hours a day average.