I've been play acoustic guitar for a year now, and have recently been entertaining the thought of getting an electric. The problem is, I don't have a lot of money to spend nor do I know anything about pickups/amps/etc. I was looking at the Squier '51 seen here: http://www.geartree.com/p-780-squierreg-51-vintage-modified-electric-guitar.aspx . I hear it's good quality for the price, but am open to any kind of recommendations. Also, if anyone could recommend a quality but affordable amp that'd be great too. Thanks in advance.
Id say go with something different other than a squier. Waaaaaay too many ppl have those and there alright guitar (personally i hate them) but if your actually serious about starting electric guitar i wouldnt start with a squier. Go with ESP or something like that. They have more affordable versions(LTD) of their really expensive ones but they dont sacrifice the quality very much. I guess it depends on what kinda music you play. If your lookin for a metal guitar then go with ESP or Jackson or Dean or something like that but if not then i really dont know cause i dont play too much other than metal haha. Same goes for an amp.
Epiphone SG Special will last you longer than a Squier
Amps: whatever you can get cheap that sounds good is fine
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

Quote by amazing FretMan
i ripped part of my foreskin off...oh well

Member #9 of the iPods Suck Balls Club, PM Oblivious16037 to join.

My UG Profile
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
Why get a squier when you can get a fender?

Fenders cost too much for this guy, remember?
I wouldn't even buy a Fender now, let alone
as a beginner with a tight budget
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

Quote by amazing FretMan
i ripped part of my foreskin off...oh well

Member #9 of the iPods Suck Balls Club, PM Oblivious16037 to join.

My UG Profile
The Squier 51 is a great guitar. And for 90 bucks it will blow your mind. A guy in the Squier 51 Modders forum said that he called MF and they gave him the same price as the store in your link.
I would say I am serious about playing electric, but don't want to tie up too much money into it yet because while I believe I will play it, I still think I will play my acoustic more. I'll probably be playing mostly blues/rock/country. I forgot to mention that in the first place. Thanks for the replies thus far. I can spend more than 100 bucks if there is a good guitar to start on that will really last me, but like I say, I don't want to put too much money into it from the get go.
Blues, rock and country.

Squier '51 with an Epiphone Valve Junior combo and a Digitech Bad Monkey OD.

I may be biased 'cause I own that amp and pedal. But they're absolutely perfect for what you want to play.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Single-coil pickups: Bright, twangy sound. Good for a bright clean or overdriven sound. Note that cheap ones will probably sound a lot worse than cheap humbuckers, as they tend to buzz.

Humbuckers: Darker, warmer sound. Good for a warm clean or a distorted sound.

For mid-level guitars: Ibanez, Jackson, Epiphone, Squier are all good. ESP/LTD if you can afford it. Gibson or Fender are a bit overkill for a newbie.

Amp: I'd recommend something in the Roland Cube series, as it is incredibly versatile.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Quote by stumtk
Id say go with something different other than a squier. Waaaaaay too many ppl have those and there alright guitar.
Go with ESP or something like that.

sorry but u are clueless.

the 51' is marked down to $100. has a humbucker and sinlge coil, very versatile, and a basswood body, very sturdy.
in addition, looks pretty unique.

esp? are u kidding?
the closest model, at twice the price has an agathis body.

Thread starter, what amp are u looking to get?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sorry but u are clueless.

the 51' is marked down to $100. has a humbucker and sinlge coil, very versatile, and a basswood body, very sturdy.
in addition, looks pretty unique.

esp? are u kidding?
the closest model, at twice the price has an agathis body.

Thread starter, what amp are u looking to get?
+1

And why do people always recommend ESP and Ibanez when people say they play Blues?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
the squier will be absolutely ideal for what you want, good cheap versatile guitar for a first electric. i have an american fender strat but quite honestly the squiers that i have played while not in the same class as fenders are great value for money.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I was actually looking at the Roland amps, not because I know much about them, but because they seem to have gotten good customer reviews and have models around the price range I want. I was looking at this amp, specifically: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

Thanks again for all the replies everybody. If I got with the Roland amp and the '51, what kind of cable do I need? Sorry for the stupid question... haha.
Last edited by Elias9E at Jan 27, 2007,
This will be the perfect buy for you, if you want to start, see if you like it and then you can buy a better guitar.
Quote by Elias9E
I was actually looking at the Roland amps, not because I know much about them, but because they seem to have gotten good customer reviews and have models around the price range I want. I was looking at this amp, specifically: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

Thanks again for all the replies everybody. If I got with the Roland amp and the '51, what kind of cable do I need? Sorry for the stupid question... haha.

Any cable will work, try to get one with a silver metal binding on it, and long. Also, I'd suggest the microcube, very high quality for a travel amp. I wasn't impressed with the 15 watt's tone.
Dickless.
the new X series cubes arent quite as good as the originals. i finally got to try a couple out.

i love the cube series in general tho. they hold up. have about 8 usable effects. good deal for the money.
if u go with that 15X ull be fine. another way to go would be the micro cube, like said.

or even a DA-5 Vox, effects amp. it's got a few more effects u might find useful, giving ur taste in music. the cleans are pretty sweet, especially for a small amp.

but honestly either way, cube or vox, u cant go wrong.

^also. dont bother with that LP special. the amp is crap, the guitar is ~ok, but the 51 is better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^cheap cables can be fine. sometimes it's better to invest in a planet waves cable.

cheap cables can cut out or cause excessive noise. make u think ur amp or guitar is broken.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62