I have my future rig planned out, however, the other guitarist in my band doesn't. He's on a really tright budget, but we have a few ideas.

His guitar > OD pedal > EQ pedal > ABY box > (2) Epi VJ's > (2) 1x12 cabs with Eminance Texas Heats.

we play thrashcore music, but our favorite tone is from the early 80's (think Ride The Lightning). So, would this rig be loud enough for gigs with about 300 kids?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Most probably, but you might want to look into getting an amp more suited to the style of music you play. For the price of two VJ's and a bit more, you could get a decent SS amp/head that would make it easier to get that tone.
If you're on a budget, you could look into making your own cabs and buying a Crate Powerblock head. I bought one for Xmas, and it's got great tone.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Unskathed
(2) Epi VJ's > (2) 1x12 cabs with Eminance Texas Heats.

You'd be better off getting a Pro Jr, Blues Jr, or Crate V16 for similar money. For 300 people, even 15W might not be enough.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
my bassist plays w/ a 15 watt guitar amp and we can barely hear it when we play in my drummer's basement!!!
Mic it and youll be fine.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by hippyguitardude
my bassist plays w/ a 15 watt guitar amp and we can barely hear it when we play in my drummer's basement!!!

no shit?
Quote by Unskathed
I have my future rig planned out, however, the other guitarist in my band doesn't. He's on a really tright budget, but we have a few ideas.

His guitar > OD pedal > EQ pedal > ABY box > (2) Epi VJ's > (2) 1x12 cabs with Eminance Texas Heats.

we play thrashcore music, but our favorite tone is from the early 80's (think Ride The Lightning). So, would this rig be loud enough for gigs with about 300 kids?

I would think you would be better off geting a combo amp.. especially if you're already buying two 1x12s, two VJs and an ABY box. That's how much? $100 each for the amps, probably 150 each for the cabs, and then the ABY and EQ are probably another $100 each..

Why not just spend like $500 on a decent combo amp?

Also, stop trying to be unique/cool/new by adding "Core" to any specific style of music. There has already been crossover thrash- Bands like Municipal Waste and DRI are Thrash and Hardcore.
The cabs would be home made, forgot to mention that.
So more like 70 dollars per cabinet. He already has the OD and EQ already, but anyway.
Thanks for the reccomendations on the nice SS heads, I didn't even consider that.

Also, we call it "thrashcore" because we're like Municipal Waste and I've always called them thrashcore, and since we're that kind of music, why not call us thrashcore?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
The cabs would be home made, forgot to mention that.
So more like 70 dollars per cabinet. He already has the OD and EQ already, but anyway.
Thanks for the reccomendations on the nice SS heads, I didn't even consider that.

Also, we call it "thrashcore" because we're like Municipal Waste and I've always called them thrashcore, and since we're that kind of music, why not call us thrashcore?

because the genre thrashcore didn't exist until a bunch of scenester hardcore kiddies started throwing CORE at the end of every genre they could relate to their band.

Its always been called crossover thrash(or just regular thrash, because it didn't matter back then because there wasn't as much of an idiocy going on), at least it was when I started listening to it.. Hell, my bassist grew up in the middle of the scene and he never even heard the term thrashcore or deathcore..

Anyway, enough of the arguing over that shit (it just bothers me inherently, sorry.)

$20 per cab is a very conservative estimate, assuming your speakers are $50 each. I made 2 2x12 cabs and it took me a sheet and a half of plywood plus about 2 yards of tolex, handles, etc. I'd definitely say that you should be looking upwards of $100 for cab materials (I'm not sure what you'd do for corners and stuff) and $100 for speakers (eminence aren't too expensive.)

Keep in mind when you build cabs you want to use a decent wood.. Preferably a plywood (not particle board, MDF, strap-board or oriented strand board) that is made out of a hardwood. The only thing I could really find was birch/maple, which does the job very well. 1/2" at the least, 3/4" would be better.

Handles- IDK what you'd do for those. I'm not sure if you're just making MDF boxes and covering them in carpet (like a sub enclosure) or if you're going all out on tolex and metal corners.. but to make a sturdy nice grade speaker box you should look to spend a bit more than 70-ish each including speaker.. You could prolly get away with $200 with eminence, though.

If he's buying two heads and two cabs that's still $350-$450.. which means you're going towards the combo territory...

There are some really decent tube amps for cheap- I think a poster likes to leghump the peavy mace or something, its basically the predicessor to the peavey triple xxx and I hear they're often times under $500... With a 1x12 you would easily produce enough volume for a small crowd.
Offtopic: I should totally start a bluescore band

On topic: Just mic them and forget about all this
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Go used, look for a Randall RG150, should be able to find one around $250 or so. Plenty loud, plenty metal.

FWIW just one Valve Jr and cab would be loud enough for 300 in a smaller venue and if your drummer chills. You could always mic it through the pa.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
yeah, used is always an option. i got my 100W marshall, which run like 700 for 250 and have loved it ever since. mic'ing it is always an option too, but you have the presence to worry about. it sounds gay, but i think you'd look better with at least a 2x12 up there, or at least a bigger 1x12. but if all you worry about is sound, which is all you REALLY should, then mic'ing it is a cheap and easy solution.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
ebay for a fender hotrod, I'd say. If the gig is indoors, like an auditorium, 15 watts may get it done, depends on how big the rooms really is. otherwise, just mic it, it shouldn't be hard. If you're gonna play for 300 people, you better have a pa system anyways.

2 VJs and two cabs with Eminence Heats would run about $300, $400 at most. hot rods are going cheap on ebay is you give up just a bit more. 40W of tube power is pretty much all you'll ever need.
Last edited by Charso at Jan 27, 2007,
Okay, I talked to him earlier, and he was considering the Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 combo. But I'll definately hit him up with your suggestions, thanks.

Is it just me, or will Epi VJ's not be able to do thrash at all? With an OD and EQ I guess you might be able to convince it to, but you'd have to turn it up quite a bit. As people have said, you'd be better off with a randall combo, or you might be able to pull off a used B-52 60-watt combo, which I think would be the best choice. I don't think I ever heard how much you were hoping to spend, but the B-52 60 watt new is $550.