Good day. I apologize for not introducing myself so perhaps after I make this post I will attempt to find such a section of this forum.

My question goes like this:

I completely re-wired my Ibanez guitar because some of the pots and switch was making noise. So I bought new pots, new 5-way switch, new output jack and even installed brand new wiring.

The only modification I made was that I installed a mini-toggle before the 5-way so that I could coil-tap. The humbucker in bridge position measured 13k resistance on the black wire to ground and 6k resistance on the red wire to ground. So I installed black on the down position of the miniswitch and red on the up position of the miniswitch. It is a 3-wire humbucker, 2 leads with a ground. Now, this is the results:

Position 1 (humb only) on the main switch, down on the mini-toggle is noisy.
Position 1 (humb only) on the main switch, up on the mini-toggle is quiet.
Position 2 (humb+mid sc) on the main switch, down on the mini-toggle quiet.
Position 2 (humb +mid sc) on the main switch, up on the mini-toggle is noisy.

It's hard to tell by tapping the humbucker which is hum and which is coil tapped.

I want down on the mini-toggle to be humbucker and up on the mini-toggle to be single coil.

Did I wire the miniswitch correctly or is it backwards?
Ok I think I figured out the answer myself:

i neglected to think about the simple concept that the up position on the lever of the miniswitch would actually be the down pins on the other side of the switch by the simple fact that the steel of the lever would be switch on the opposite side if it was a straight line:

up position of switch:
\
. \
.. \
... \
.... \
would be pin on the other side down here.

down position of switch:
.... /
... /
.. /
. /
/
would be the pin on the other side down here.

I swear sometimes I'm either a genius or a moron, I just can never tell which.
Just wire it up, and if you want "up" to be "down", then just loosen the nut, and spin the switch. Make sure you have some slack in your wires.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club