Im not sure if this is the right area to post this in but oh well. Does anyone know what effects Metalllica uses to get the sound to Seek and Destroy. Im thinking about doing it for a school battle of the bands and have been playing around with my Digitech Rp-250 but havent got anything good yet. Any advice would be great. Cheers
i use my Boss distortion pedal on my marshall amp and crank it all the way up. It sounds alot like everything on kill em all
and its on;y like 30$
My gear
-----------------------------------------------------------
GIBSON LES PUAL STUDIO
MARSHALL 30MGDFX

other guitars
-WASHBURN ACCOUSTIC
-IBANEZ GSA 60
-BENTLY SERIS 10
Have you tried messing around with your amp's settings?

The Ultimate Settings thread on here has Kirk's amp settings as:

Gain: 7
Treble: 7
Mid: 2
Bass: 7
Reverb: 2

or you could try

Gain: 9
Treble: 10
Reverb: 3
Use like half gain alot of high end and keep your low end in, drop some mids... and tweek..
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
Hammett didn't use much in the way of effects on Kill 'em All, and Hetfield didn't use any that I'm aware of, he generally disdains them now. Maybe a stomp box distortion job. Then Kirk found a wah pedal and we all know what happened then. You should be able to get a pretty good approximation of the tone with your amp.
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 28, 2007,
My mate and I have this theory that all the guitars in Kill 'em All were played down tuned in Db and the whole record was sped up artificially at the end to make it sound faster. That's why the vocals and drums sound high pitched.
Mind you, a lot of beer was involved when we came to this theory
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Lots of gain, lots of treble, lots of bass (but maybe less than treble), and hardly any mid.

Also, a distortion pedal would help.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
My mate and I have this theory that all the guitars in Kill 'em All were played down tuned in Db and the whole record was sped up artificially at the end to make it sound faster. That's why the vocals and drums sound high pitched.

Lol @ that, but I suggest threadstarter: Have a look at the ultimate settings thread!
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Contrary to poular belief, Kill 'Em All should have quite some mids in, depending on the amp you use.

You have to keep in mind at this time they were using modded Marshalls, which are extremely middy anyway, even when you eq it down some. It needs to sound raw and unrefined, keep that in mind. Plus, everything had shitloads of reverb, even James voice.

Also, on KEA, they weren't too great at playing in sync with one another. Like ont the intro to Four Horsemen; there seems to be delay, but it's just slightly out of sync playing from Hammet and Hetfield.

Hope I helped.
I'm getting some decent Kill 'Em All sounds from my amp with my DS-1. On my amp I have the bass on 4, Contour on 3.5 and treble on 7, with the gain almost maxed out. Then on the DS-1, Gain at 3' Oclock and tone at 5 to 12.
maybe slighty downtuned cos master is downtuned half a step.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Cecil Gonzales

sure.

if it was done like that, vocals and drums wouldnt sound "high pithed" but more like a chipmunk. and hetfields voice is pitched higher because back then his singing voice wasnt practiced at all.
Quote by bodomfan666

No it wasn't. They didn't start to actively downtune until Load. They had the occasional downtuned song before that, such as Sad But True, but other than a few exceptions, they were in standard E all the way.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by AmIEvil?
sure.

if it was done like that, vocals and drums wouldnt sound "high pithed" but more like a chipmunk. and hetfields voice is pitched higher because back then his singing voice wasnt practiced at all.

That's not necessarily true. Speeding it up the equivalent of a half step or whole step would be noticeable, but it wouldn't make things sound like a chipmunk. It's a pretty stupid theory anyway, but your argument is invalid.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
LOL I never meant to cause such a stir but just to throw a spanner in the works..
You can not dis-prove this theory unless you have listened to the orignal unmixed tapes of the recording sessions and compared them to the final mixed down album version.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
didnt james use a pro co RAT for that entire album?
or was that justice for all?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by bodomfan666

The only detuned song on Master of Puppets is The Thing That Should Not Be.
Quote by cochise788
Have you tried messing around with your amp's settings?

The Ultimate Settings thread on here has Kirk's amp settings as:

Gain: 7
Treble: 7
Reverb: 2

or you could try

Gain: 9
Treble: 10
Reverb: 3

i'm pretty sure that kirk wasn't in metallica when they recorded seek and destroy
Quote by deluxity
i'm pretty sure that kirk wasn't in metallica when they recorded seek and destroy

He was, they just made the demo with Mustaine.
Quote by deluxity

Yes he was. Kirk Hammett played lead guitar on all of their studio albums. Mustaine only played on a few demos.
Quote by Wayward_Son
That's not necessarily true. Speeding it up the equivalent of a half step or whole step would be noticeable, but it wouldn't make things sound like a chipmunk. It's a pretty stupid theory anyway, but your argument is invalid.

well exageration was my way of proving a point but even a step upwards would sound slightly on the retarded side.